Malik Willis vs. CJ Stroud

Both guys are a waste of a draft pick.

He’s precisely the type of pick I’d worry about the Lions rushing into the field only to get killed.

I watched most of the EMU game and the kid can play. But he’s also very raw, and as well as they played, he has zero pocket patience. He needs time.

Bryce Young is the best QB prospect since Joe Burrow.

Surrounded by the best talent. I dont care for him. Even Mac Jones and Tua looked good on BAMA. Just my opinion.

I’ll stand by my “stay away from BAMA and OSU” QB opinion.

He’s intelligent, goes through progressions, and makes fast decisions though, something you’re not getting from Malik Willis. But I guess he does play for Alabama.

Malik Willis OL is very bad. He has to be superman a lot.

Tua and Mac Jones also were really good at BAMA. I did not like either. Tua is a bust. Mac Jones ain’t gonna be any better than an average QB

This team specific stuff is silly. You don’t pass on Justin Herbert because of Joey Harrington. And I don’t agree with your take on those players anyway. Quality of competition is something I take heavily into consideration. The way the great QBs handle an unstoppable pass rush is they get rid of the ball quicker.

1 Like

Not true at all. People always make this comment but it’s so far from the truth. Prior to the 60’s the QB ran the football primarily. But the 70-90’s had its fair share of rushing QB’s. In fact most of the best rushing QB’s came from this era not the one we’re in now.

Warren Moon, Steve Young, Micheal Vick, Randal Cunningham, Frank Tarkenton, Steve McNair, Donovan McNabb, John Elway, Jim Harbaugh, Donte Culpepper, Tobin Rote, Greg Landry, Bobby Douglas, Kordell Stewart, Bobby Lane, Rich Gannon, Mark Brunell, Roger Stabauch, Terry Bradshaw, Jeff Blake, Jeff Garcia, Ken Anderson, Archie Manning, Steve Grogan, Bob Hoernschemeyer, and many many more come to mind.

Coaching and Wr?

How do you explain tua and mac Jones then?

Both are busts

I agree he does need time. He’s not ready to start right now. He needs to sit a year or maybe even two. But so did a lot of other small school QB’s and QB’s who came from spread offenses. The NFL is littered with QB’s like him that had success.

I seriously believe he can succeed because he has the arm, size, speed and athleticism to do so. If the Lions feel he has the aptitude and they can coach out his flaws (which are all very coachable) then id take him.

I just wouldn’t take him at 10A. I wouldn’t take him top 10 to be honest. But id seriously consider him in mid round one.

Hopefully we can get a good look and feel for him at the senior bowl.

1 Like

I do think OSU is recruiting QBs that don’t necessarily make good pro prospects. They want athletic guys that can throw the ball to their wide open receivers. Their ultimate dream QB would be Daunte Culpepper. They’re not really looking for guys that make good NFL QBs.

Willis is intriguing but very, very sloppy. He’s very lazy with his footwork, isn’t always very accurate, and makes some very questionable decisions.
He’d be a big project, not sure if I’m a fan.
He kind of reminds me of Akili Smith.

Here’s a pass he threw in the 2nd quarter, no pressure, and throwing off his back foot falling backwards. The pass was severely underthrow as a result, luckily the WR was able to slow-up and jump up to get it, still just a shit throw when he could have stepped-into it and lead the receiver.

Here’s another, very sloppy mechanics.

1 Like

Randall Cunningham and Steve Young say hello.

Haha! Yup → Sooo many variables, with any QB…factor in discrepancies of talent level… Tough to pick.

I like Willis, because I judge largely off of energy. I can’t believe this isn’t a bigger deal when drafting. I feel like they break down leadership components, intelligence, etc (and obviously measurables), but they dont’ take into essence who someone’s soul is.

Guys, I’m never wrong with this shit. I don’t usually go full sale on any rook. The Okudah year, I was hoping we’d somehow trade back and get Jeudy. He carries himself like a leader, and has ultimate faith in his abilities. There’s an ocean worth of difference between having confidence, and having a spiritual knowing of who you are. Most of these guys won’t word it as a spiritual knowingness, but that’s what it is, regardless if that know that about themselves or not.

I KNEW that J-Will, and Jeudy would be good ones.
I knew Riddick would be a “Football player,” not just a little soft WR.

I don’t trust T-Law’s energy to be an elite leader.

Great leadership energy doesn’t always translate to massive results. Talent, intelligence, health, etc always play in, but it would be my #2 prerequisite behind talent, if I were evaluating.

Davis was sort of a badass with a low football IQ, so energy isn’t everything.
I do feel the right coaches could have fixed Davis and found a great way to use him.

Willis has that knowingness of who he is.
Willis has the talent.
Does he have the football IQ?
Can he develop accuracy?

I think yes!

I’m willing to take the gamble on this dude who has a very high ceiling, but also may have a pretty mediocre floor.

I think the 51 sacks this year have got his clock moving too quick. I really questioned Hugh Freeze’s offense that didn’t utilize any additional protection and kept trying to have 5 man protections… and teams have been coming after him… so it wasn’t a surprise tactic.

1 Like

2 things…

#1 — the same things could be said about Mahomes in regards to sloppy mechanics.

#2 — Akili Smith ran a 4.7 in the 40 and played in a very structured offense that was known for simplifying the read so the QB. Willis is asked to do RPOs and improvise a ton. I don’t see that as a good comparison based on athletic ability or the offense.

Ok, so @Air2theThrown, I have a question for you.

I totally agree now with the claim (which is true, so don’t get mad at me for saying “claim”) that pocket passers have been more successful at winning championships.

So why do you think that is?

And a question for everyone that is ok with him…

If we took him at 1, how mad would you be?

I’m not a Willis guy, but I dig what you’re saying. I used to think I had energy, but then I had 2 kids. I wanted to draft Lamar Jackson way back when, so I get the appeal.

2 Likes

Can we bring back up the Justin fields thread instead. I got a feeling this is deja vu and some people will “lose all faith” in Holmes for passing up on Willis