Malik Willis vs. CJ Stroud

So, he wasn’t good enough to play at a school that produces bad QBs, but he’s a good NFL QB. Does that add up to you?

For OSU system…there were better fits

Again…why has burrow succeeded where every OSU qb has failed?

No need for the condescending tone

Happy Holidays

Merry Christmas Dog GIF

This and I don’t want to make excuses for the guy but “a guy” doesn’t get a win in any football game. I could put any number of shitty QB prospects on Alabama’s team, put them against Liberty and kick the crap out of them. Probably making their QB (even if roles were flipped and it was Bryce Young playing for Liberty).

But here is the thing. Willis DOES have games against much better competition where he led his shittier team to a win and beyond traits, what more can you ask for than elevating your team? Is there any universe where Liberty should beat Virginia Tech?? Yet Willis and Liberty did beat them. He was not a disaster against Syracuse (again not a powerhouse, but much more talented across the board than Liberty) and was 1-1 against them. Put up 5 total TD’s in his final game (which he had the grit and competitive nature to actually play in) against EMU, another program that “should” have superior talent.

Willis is by far the best player on that team and they live and die based on what Willis can give them through the air and on the ground. Their defense stops nobody that’s any good, yet Willis wins games against superior teams consistently. He can’t get Liberty over Ole Miss, so he sucks?? Poppycock. We also have to look at what he would be asked to do here over the next two years. Learn behind Goff, let our 7th best ypc rushing attack get even better, let us add more weapons at WR. Maybe give us 5 plays a game as a gadget player. This isn’t going to be a young QB asked to do it all on his own this time. He’s actually going to walk into an ideal situation for a young QB. Strong oline that keeps him upright, strong rushing attack to lean on when defenses are frustrating you and a PB level TE, and precision route running slot receiver.

For the nerds among us, here is our old buddy, former Lions JT O’Sullivan himself with some really granular breakdown of Willis. Again, focus on the traits. An NFL throw is an NFL throw and when you see O’Sullivan highlight some of the anticipatory throws, that is happening. He pulls the trigger before the WR is making his break and puts it right on the money. That is something former #1OA pick and current 30M man Jarred Goff can’t do very well. This is against Virginia Tech, not whatsamatta U.

2 Likes

I’d be on board with taking a risk on a dude with a ceiling this high.

I’m generally not the type to fall in love with potential, but the potential here is WAY high, IMO. The way he carries himself increases the likelihood that he reaches the potential too. I’d be all for it.