Matt Patricia interviews for Broncos DC Job

After all, you’re the boss. And another thing, everyone will know that I’m the defensive boss around here. It will be my way or the hiway, dissent isn’t tolerated. That’s a good thing, right Sean? Sean? you still there?

1 Like

But he did prove himself to be a decent defensive coordinator. People are just pretending like that never happened for some reason. I’m pretty sure that reason is because he flamed out as HC of the Lions.

OK, my name is CasanovaJack and I like to drink, esp on National Margarita Day, and if the Donkeys hire that guy I will be insufferable to all my friends on the front range.

2 Likes

He did? That is what I’m questioning. I think I hear ya. he was the DC for the patriots from 2012-2017, and they did have some good defenses. but how much of that was him and how much was Belichick? The patriots defense got destroyed in the Super Bowl by Nick Foles and the eagles before we hired him in 2018. And before that they had a tendency to give up a ton of yards, particularly in 16 and 17 although they kept the points scored against in check. So I will give you decent DC.

But what I’m saying is the guy was a toxic wasteland of a person with all of his players in Detroit and then went back to the patriots, destroyed the offense and his QB hated him. And now has been cut loose because they don’t want to pay him their own money.

So my point is this - he’s had more than enough opportunities to do a “good” job in the nfl and he hasn’t been anything more than decent at times and managed to destroy an entire nfl franchise with the help of his buddy Bob.

My final point is this and it’s something I wish some of the writers might’ve dug in a little more on… he was a “rocket scientist.” Ok. He went to a college program. The internet says he got “a degree.” That’s it. He got a degree, then decided to go be a low level assistant for the patriots. Did he get a bachelors? A masters? An associates? Or just “a degree”? So this whole concept of him being “smart” is a whole bunch of horseshit to begin with.

2 Likes

Here’s a fluff piece talking about how he took some fancy classes and “graduated” and “earned a degree”.

https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2018/01/23/matt-patricia-rocket-science-rpi-new-england-patriots-detroit-lions-super-bowl-52

If anyone can find what exactly his “degree” was please correct me.

But this is a fluff piece, doesn’t say why he didn’t pursue his “degree” and decided to become a football coach.

I dunno… this whole thing and this guy’s career reads like a con artist.

For the record I could go enroll in a community college program and take some pre recs in rocket science, and get “a degree”. Does not equate to me being a rocket scientist.

2 Likes

I don’t know about his education, and I don’t think it matters.

I’m not big on taking away from coaches. I don’t believe for a second Bill Belichick had him as a puppet DC. Yes, Bill’s finger prints are all over every aspect of that team, but he entrusted Patricia to run his defense, and he did just fine.

Patricia is not an offensive coach. He was outside his element. Some times Belichick does some weird things, and that definitely fits. So was putting Joe Judge in charge of grooming a young QB. He righted that ship this year.

Coaching defense is more Patricia’s thing. He was toxic as a head coach, but he’s not being asked to be a head coach. Payton is, and it is he who will set the tone of that team no matter who he hires.

I think Rex Ryan would be the better choice for the Broncos. (Hell, I’d love Rex in Detroit.) I don’t think Patricia would be terrible in that role for Denver. He would do a good job for them.

2 Likes

I hear ya and right on. I don’t agree on him being a good fit until he proves he can be a good leader which I don’t know he has done.

I do agree he was put in a bad situation as OC or whatever was his role this year.

Overall I don’t think he’s a good coach, but that’s just my opinion. Everyone has the opportunity to change of course.

1 Like

Sean, I have people skills!! Are you there!?

office space GIF by Maudit

How dare you question his ability to develop rocket technology!? I’d bet if he doesn’t get the Broncos DC job, he’s going to go to work for Elon Musk!

Toy Story To Infinity And Beyond GIF

As opposed to his time as HC lol

1 Like

Lol touché

I’m
Irrationally upset by him

I need to remember he’s a family man

1 Like

No… i get irrationally upset by him, and I think it’s rational!

A lot of shitty people are “family men”. That doesn’t mean shit.

I can be a “great family man” and be a complete ass to everyone I work with or encounter and also be completely terrible at my job for various reasons.

Being “a family man” is like saying “well he loved pizza”

that’s not a fat joke. Everyone loves pizza. A lot of people love their families. It’s an irrelevant point to his position as a football coach and a person to people who aren’t his family.

2 Likes

Well, yes.

Sick Burn GIF by MOODMAN

I think they found the one DC candidate up to the challenge of stinking up all of Russell and Ciara’s bathrooms

1 Like

Let It Go Relax GIF by Peloton

1 Like

the NFL is very similar to most corporate settings. Once you reach a certain level of ‘management’ you can get that same job or better elsewhere, continually. I worked at a furniture place that hired someone from the aerospace industry to run the company. Tanked the whole place within a year, and come to find out he was shit in aerospace as well. But I’m sure he just moved on to his next victim…er…opportunity.

1 Like

Because being a DC for Belichick is kind of like being an OC for Sean Payton or Andy Reid. Its understandable people will be skeptical until they see success outside of daddy Belichick’s umbrella.

2 Likes

You could go back in time and find some of the biggest racists in our country and some of them would have been “family men.” So yeah, I definitely get what you are saying.

1 Like