Matthew Stafford Deserves as Much Blame for Lions' Woes as Matt Patricia

I think the Raiders might make a play for Stafford if the price is right. They will be probably picking anywhere from 8 to 15 in the draft and have a nice offensive scheme but their QB is just not capable of pushing the ball downfield and really holding them back. I would think the price tag for Stafford would be far more acceptable than the price to move up to get Lawrence at the top of the draft. Gruden has the job security to make such a move too you would think. What would it cost them though?

I am a Stafford fan but if we are a picking in the top 5 come next April and have a shot at Fields or Lance I think it would make sense to take them and rebuild the defence with the picks garnered for Stafford

Matt Stafford and Derek Carr is the same guy. Gruden wants a mobile guy thus the reason they signed Mariota. I suspect at some point sooner rather than later Carr will be benched

I agree

The buck stops with her. Sorry, your rules.

Go take a closer look at old game film and the rosters of those teams. They were far from stacked. A majority of our starters couldn’t make other teams rosters, much less start for them. Most of our players careers died after Detroit, because noone else wanted them.

Why can’t you say something like, ah okay, well that’s valid. Lol. My “rules” don’t say Martha is guilty, they say WCF is. You’re a very smart fella Wes, no doubt. And I would like to hang out with you and watch a game, as unlikely as that is. But you do have a tendency to need to be “right”. God bless bro.

1 Like

I think he could win a SB Eli style. Get hot at the right time. I just don’t see the consistency to front run. He’s just too hot and cold with too many rookie level decisions.

Peak Stafford is elite though IMO. So if I’m wrong and the right organization can bring out greater consistency then a Rich Gannon like twilight to his career is certainly possible.

When we fix our coaching and defense, we can start tearing apart Stafford’s game. Right now, he’s not the problem.

2 Likes

Of course he does. This team couldnt win long before Patricia got here and most of those previous teams had a decent amount of talent. Certainly enough to win with if you had a good enough QB. What were the excuses those years? Just spin the wheel, i guess…

Stafford is a nothing more than a mediocre QB that you arent winning with unless your team is filled with All-Pros. That’s just the reality of it.

1 Like

Yeah, no, not buying it, not remotely. Where is the defensive talent on this team after FIVE OFFSEASONS of Bob Quinn running the draft and free agency? Where is the young core of playoff-caliber talent, at any position, that Bob Quinn has put together in FIVE OFFSEASONS? Where is the unit, ANY unit, that Bob Quinn has built that dominates opponents, that opposing coaches have to worry about and game-plan for?

None of that exists. AFTER FIVE FRIGGIN OFFSEASONS. Sorry, no. NO. NOOOOOOOOOOOOPE. Broom the whole building, no one there deserves to run an NFL hot dog stand ever again, let alone a franchise.

1 Like

I blame Martha. Why not?

She went to the NFL and through that process she hired Quinn. I applauded that decision, its what most fans had wanted them to do for years.

Quinn’s first coach Jim Caldwell, was fired after two seasons due to 9-7 wasn’t good enough. Another decision I applauded.

Then Quinn hired Patricia to take this team to the next level. He’s 10-25-1…a far cry from 7-9 not being good enough.

She wrote a letter to the fans last December

And Quinn and Patricia are still employed…

Gah. I have to pile on here. I was reading the article about Josh Allen improving and saw this paragraph…

For instance, there are times when a defense is so good with its disguise that it catches a quarterback off guard. Young quarterbacks tend to press in that situation. Desperate to make a play, they might throw into coverage, panic and get sacked and stripped of the ball, or take a grounding penalty. The Raiders fooled Allen on several occasions, and with the exception of one, he either threw the ball at the feet of his receivers on a screen attempt or threw it out of bounds. He kept his team out of harm’s way. The Bills may have lost a down but not the football.

How many times this year already have we seen Stafford do the opposite of this, and instead panic, throw the ball into coverage and get picked, or take a killer sack? Too many. The sad thing is, Jesse James bailing Stafford out with his incredible catch, I think actually emboldened Stafford to go to the well again when he threw to Hockenson, and this time the break went the other way. Hockenson did make another miracle grab on the 2 point conversion too, that was another terrible throw that worked out.

2 Likes

I’m not disputing the critique of Stafford, which is totally fair. But I will note that it’s a lot easier to play to “live another day” when you have other parts of the team actually doing their job (e.g., a defense that will get you the ball back, a running game that will chew up some yards and clock). I mean, if you’re reasonably confident that you’ll get another drive to put your team on top even if the current drive doesn’t work out, it makes sense to focus on not making the big mistake. If you feel like every drive you don’t personally throw a TD is just digging a deeper hole, then maybe you gamble more than you should?

I’m no expert in QB play to really judge the validity of that point, but I know it’s the one his defender’s tend to make. And it at least makes sense to me on a logical level.

(FWIW, I think Stafford is a good–not elite–QB who could do fine on a competently run team but isn’t good enough to make up for this team’s many other deficiencies.)

COMPLETELY agree.

Quinn did hire the coach, and that was bad. I feel like the roster should be 10 wins-is, but not ultimately a contender for a title.

Coaching impacts everyone. When coaches are determined and relentlessly confident, they show faith in themselves, their scheme, and their players. Patricia is having a trickle-down effect on the players…in a very negative way, because he’s clueless, has no faith, and it shows. Players sense it and are impacted by it.

His coaching style shows no faith in his guys. They know it. Nobody’s having fun out there, and that compounds it.

This team may throw in the towel, and if they do, it could get really, really ugly.

I would agree. People fault the QB, because they think if you replace this ONE guy, it can make the other 21 starters better. I think that’s way too generalized. However, at Stafford’s age, he should be smart enough to stop trying to strap on the Superman cape and fix everything himself, knowing the end result is it can get a lot worse.

This is what happens during a systemic breakdown, and that’s ultimately what is happening with the Lions. It’s problems from the top down.

2 Likes

I started this post intending to argue the point, asking which five rosters out there are worse than ours. Then I looked at the standings. Wow… There are a LOT of crappy teams right now. (See the entire NFC East.)

So yeah, OK, fine, in the current NFL as of October 5, 2020, we’re probably closer to a bottom-10 roster than bottom-5. (Though I have to note, for as much flack as Stafford is getting right now–some of it deservedly–take him off this roster and I think we plummet all the way down to the bottom.)

3 Likes

I agree Norm! The QB is going to take blame because he’s essentially the face of the franchise. The highest paid player. That comes with the territory. What bugs be about Stafford is the continued mistakes over and over again?

He’s basically saying the same things week after week, year after year. Kudos to Josh Allen and the rest of these young players i.e. Joe Burrow that puts time in. Again, for Stafford to spend the 1st off-season 2017 with a QB coach is telling. Honestly, you don’t care enough to take your craft seriously. Take the initiative to get better. He still stares down WRs, can’t audible out of plays and he throws into double coverage a lot.

I didn’t know Stafford was the one implementing the defense and calling defensive plays. He must be the one making those great adjustments during the game to.

Can someone please show me the all 22 where our WRs are running around free and Matt is forcing it elsewhere?

Last year the highest rated Lion for getting separation was Kenny G. He was 97th on the list. So every other team in the league on average has three players who get more separation than our best guy. But yeah, Stafford is the problem.

I’ll wait for the all 22 video.

2 Likes

Yeah you just go to the corner store to get one of them. Just like 9-7 is good enough and the grass was greener, and all we have to do is follow the partoit way. Fix the rest of your team before you worry about the QB, you put a rookie in Staffords place with this mess and you will get Chuck Long, Andra Ware.

1 Like