MCDC getting no respect from CBS

My initial point was ranking MCDC 30th because he didn’t move on from Goff is asinine. He’s a solid NFL starter. He was 42-27 and took his team to the SB just 2 years prior to being traded to Detroit. He’s not some scrub. But now…because he is Detroits starting QB, he is some scrub you should toss aside after 1 season with one of the worst rosters in football.

If that’s not pure lazy journalism I dont know what is. But again, it’s just my opinion.

2 Likes

That is not being lazy at your job. Again, people have ranked Stafford in the top ten of QBs. You are jumping to conclusions on peoples thoughts on the Lions the same as you jumped to the conclusion that Stafford didn’t even sniff being rated as a top ten QB without checking the facts to back up such statement. So essentially I guess you were being a lazy critic. But you expect everyone else to be ON POINT and thorough??

Just to say this again…

…I looked up the writer’s past articles. He doesn’t like Goff and his anti-Goff articles date back to when Goff was still with the Rams and he was trying to convince the reader that the team needed to get rid of him.

1 Like

It’s not my job, there’s a difference. And I did “fact check” my statement of Stafford being ranked where I said he was. It took me googling 2020 and 2019 rankings and I found several articles that place him outside of 10 and 15. I didn’t care to keep going because it’s not something I made up. I’m as big a football fan as any who post here. I’m not some casual spewing random thoughts.

I just don’t care to post it to prove one poster wrong. There are plenty who know exactly what I’m talking about.

See that’s the easy way out for fans. “Its not my job”….no it isn’t but it is your responsibility to know what you are talking about if you are going to be a critic. That said…you did not “fact check” otherwise you would not have said “Stafford never sniffed the top ten until he got to LA. That’s lazy journalism and shows how bad people are at their jobs.” Oh but some media outlets have ranked Stafford in the top ten before he got to LA….but you will only know that if you did, indeed, “fact check.” :wink:

Some do some don’t. I even said I exaggerated to prove a point. What more to you want?

And sports journalists are lazy IMO. Sorry if that bothers you but that’s how I feel. All the major heads literally cover the big markets exclusively, but will talk like they know what they are talking about outside of those markets. The Herd, arguably the top sports journalist out there; doesn’t know squat outside of his select markets. How often do you see a questionable take on a sports topic that a 10 year old fan would know? I see it often.

Part of the job of being a sports journalist is taking and accepting criticism. It’s an opinion just like yours or mine. But it’s their job to be better at it. And if they aren’t, it’s lazy. Again tho that’s just my take on the subject.

All good RP, I like you as a poster, I appreciate the challenge. We just have differing views on this topic.

edit
Even when I did go looking for lists to support my Stafford stance, I found several articles that had Jared Goff ranked higher than Stafford in QB rankings from 2019 & 2020. After the trade, I doubt we could find one. And that’s after Stafford had two injury plaqued years. The difference being Goff going to the don’t care Lions. And Stafford going to the major market of LA.

1 Like

I agree with jd9. Not all journalists are lazy but a great majority are. These are the same people that labeled Stafford an average quarterback for years then admitted they never watched his film until he was traded. It’s the same when you watch an interview where the person doing the interview clearly has no idea about anything they’re asking. If it’s your job to be prepared and give an opinion then I think it’s fair for us to hold you accountable if you don’t do proper research.

Hey man you guys are just as entitled to y’all’s opinion as I am mine. My problem is t necessarily what either of you are saying….it’s just more I think fans in general use the media to alleviate any blame on the teams that they root for. Maple Leafs fans are the epitome of this. And trust me I have had this debate with many Leafs fans on social media and most of them live in past glory of the 60s. I won’t even both with Cowboy fans….everyone knows what a train wreck they are. But that aside I think I have said enough on this guys….we all agree that we think slightly different

1 Like

Ok this one last thing….I don’t think it’s as simple as you make it here. Much of it is what assignment you get and sometimes questions are asked that you give an answer across the surface and pretty much nothing more. Just like the Mina Kimes example I gave you. Mina doesn’t cover the NHL, she probably doesn’t even watch it. But she was asked a question and she gave an answer….nothing based on any grand research or inside knowledge but something more of making a prediction based on recent history. No harm, no foul and certainly no affect on the outcome. She picked the Lightning and she was right….but I don’t think she really gives a shit because she doesn’t cover the NHL. But 99.9 percent of Maple Leaf fans care that she was right because that means the Lwafs lost, yet again, in round one. And I am sure they are motherfucking her if they saw that show. I’m not a journalist and media work is not something I do….I’m just not one to bash the media as much as I am not one to bash politicians or religious folks! :man_shrugging:

And there lies the difference my friend. I’ve done some media work in my past. If it’s your job to cover a certain sport then you need to do your behind the scenes work and be prepared. I’m not talking about the occasional interview like the one you mentioned. I’m talking about those that cover the sport every single day. How can you write an article or weigh in on a topic that you’ve done hardly any research on. At that point you’re giving an opinion based on what you think you know. That’s not much different than that of a hardcore fan.

3 Likes

You are right bro….that’s fair enough for me!

2 Likes

Thanks for the discussion. I enjoyed it.

1 Like

Love MCDC. But @stephenboyd57 is right. He has to win more. And he will…….I don’t put much stock into these type of rankings other then ways to stir up conversation. Nothing wrong with a good OL debate in July when your chomping at the bit for some football.

3 Likes

I’ve got Matt at #5

1 Like

Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

Perhaps my biggest issue with the article is the first sentence, “Detroit won’t like this, because he took the nickname “Dan the Man” to new heights”

Dan the Man? WTF says that? At least he could get the nickname right. MCDC!

2 Likes

I missed that. LOL That’s kind of like opening with “Calvin Johnson…or as many of us know him by his nickname…Slenderman.”

1 Like

Me being me:

I “want” wins as that’s fun! Much funner than losing…

But, honestly, more importantly than wins for me, it’s taking care of each other!

This leadership teams literally puts players first…. Not simply winning

I hope this never changes and as long as I stay this way I feel we will get wins at the fruit of this type of labor…

Like Dabo and Clemson….

1 Like

Football Outsiders DYAR has Stafford at:
2009: 33rd (injured season)
2010: Unranked (injured season)
2011: 5th
2012: 6th
2013: 12th
2014: 15th
2015: 9th
2016: 9th
2017: 10th
2018: 20th
2019: 9th (with only 8 games played)
2020: 14th
2021: 6th

That’s 6 times in the top 10 in Detroit.

1 Like

2 Likes