McVay supports players that aren't ready to play on Sunday

Due to the Damar Hamlin injury, if there are players that knew Damar and aren’t [psychologically/emotionally] ready to play, they don’t have to.

What happened to Damar is horrible and definitely mind shaking. I don’t know what to make of it or what it all means. Just sharing information here on one team’s perspective that’s season is over.

Will other teams follow suit?

6 Likes

Well, beanz!

4 Likes

I’d find it dangerous for players who aren’t emotionally and mentally prepared to step foot on that field.

This NFL season, generally speaking, will be remembered by what transpired Monday night.

4 Likes

7 Likes

No problem with this. It such a unique situation. If they can’t play, next man up. If it effects our playoff hopes oh well.

4 Likes

They probably should just postpone the season a week, at this point.
Think about the ramifications of what he’s saying. The Rams have nothing to play for except pride, so, he’s willing to hand Seattle a win, which screws us.
How many times will that scenario play out this weekend? Who else will it effect? How will it change the face of the playoffs?

Think about the ramifications of changing the playoff schedule.

Go backwards…. starting at the Super Bowl.

Changing the date of the Super Bowl would take a logistical mitacle on the NFL side… consider how many hotels were blocked off to accommodate league and team needs… and that doesn’t even account for the fans that have tickets and travel plans already.

The only way to “back up” the start of the playoffs would be to cancel the pro bowl week… and though I don’t care a bit about it…
I doubt the NFL would ever consider that.

It doesn’t take many steps to realize that a locomotive is already on the track and speeding ahead at full speed. Changing any playoff dates at this point is probably not going to happen barring a catastrophic national emergency.

1 Like

you don’t have to change the superbowl. you just remove the bye week before it.

1 Like

There’s two weeks between the Conference finals and Super Bowl. Make that one.
Who really cares about the Pro Bowl “games”? Not me. It was never a real game, and it’s even less interesting, now.

I have never watched pro bowl (for more than maybe 2 plays) myself… but I also realize that millions of votes were cast…. so there are plenty of people…. plus the hosts in Vegas… that would have objections to that idea.

There is also the possibility that the NFL has contracts in place that make it very difficult to move that date…. particularly with broadcast rights. I don’t know that to be true… but I sure wouldn’t be surprised.

I cast votes, but, only because we have players that deserve to be recognized.
I’m not going to watch the “games”.

You could have the conference championships and probowl on the same weekend. two more teams can’t play in the “pro bowl”. thats a big “so what”!

2 Likes

The Super Bowl players rarely participated, anyway.

So I’ll be honest. I didn’t see the game live. I’ve decided against watching any clips.

I don’t have a super strong opinion one way or another but I do wonder if it had been better to play out the game.

I have complete sympathy for the players feelings, but you know, the show most go on as they say. When Reggie Brown was paralyzed they didn’t send the guys in the lockerrroom and call the game. Were they any less traumatized?

I dunno. Maybe the guys who were the most affected could take a pass and let others play the rest of the game, but I feel like it should have been played.

JMO, and like I said I didn’t see it live. I seem to be in a very small minority on this.

1 Like

From what i understand, they started warming up to start playing again. I think the Cincinnati players went to their coach saying, nah, we can’t do this. Then the Cincy coach went to the Buffalo coach. I could be wrong, but that’s what I thought happened by putting pieces together.

I have to be careful here….4 years military and 25 years a first responder. Very different world we lived in during 1997 when that happened to Reggie Brown. Much different world now.

People suffer illnesses, heart attacks, accidents, and death every day. Tragedy is part of life. These guys didn’t suffer some sever trauma themselves. Someone they know to some extent who shares their profession was injured. I’ve had more than one co worker who has suffered a heart attack, even at work. Some likely due to stresses of the job. One guy I am fairly close to. And it sucked. I felt terrible for him and his family. But I didn’t take weeks off work and decide I was incapable of moving on. As I said in another thread, players have died while on teams. Parents, siblings, spouses, children and friends have passed. Players have a job to do. They can support their friend, and of course his family. However why can they not do their chosen profession?

2 Likes

Yeah, I guess that makes more sense. Its super easy for me to say all this, but if I just watched a co-worker almost die from doing his job and then I was asked to keep doing that job, whether I made millions or dollars or not, I might need a timeout.

I definitely think the NFL needs a new protocol for these type of situations though. I mean they had tens of thousand of people in the stands and a millions of people watching on a television contract.

Mah Sweetie has some fun malapropisms given English is her 2nd language as a child, only language now, and was learned by watching Bugs Bunny cartoons…really.

One of them is her term for traumatized, which is Dramatized. She means traumatized in its literal sense, but, well…if I had to learn Vietnamese at age 6-8 it would be a lot worse than this, and less funny.

I think mental health awareness, discussion and treatment is exceedingly important, more than y’all know…

But McVay is jitterbugging on the Dramatized line here…which as I decribe it as similar to virtue signalling or social media/communication as performance art. Im sure he is sincere, just…umm…maybe a touch out of touch with how football players are emotionally built and socially conditioned to tide or die/fight through things/ play for your brothers/ show must go on mentality.

Or he is consciously building his " rep" and follower base

4 Likes

Honestly McVay is giving his guys an early off season if they want it and using Hamlin as the reason why. While at the same time sinking Detroits playoff chances.

2 Likes