Mel Kiper on “The Trade Up”

Mel is wrong a lot…but I have a ton of respect for the man.

We all come here and post our football opinions on this forum…for free.

Started from his parents basement as a teenager…and now has a net worth of $7 million.

He gets paid to talk about the draft…whether he is right or wrong…and that is a genius move.

That’s my opinion…free of charge.

8 Likes

Yeah okay.

3 Likes

Mel believes in getting beans you can eat right away instead of getting beans that become magical in the future.

1 Like

GREAT vid. Almost all of his opinions coincide with where I’m at on all of this stuff.

5 Likes

There is more to what Kiper said than what’s implied in the article.

"This is one of the league’s worst rosters from top to bottom. That’s why I was surprised to see them trade up 20 spots in Round 1 instead of keeping pick Nos. 32 and 34. The draft is such a crapshoot that it’s almost always better to take two chances at a top-ranked prospect than one.

At the same time, I love the player they got in Jameson Williams, an electric wide receiver who could immediately be Jared Goff’s No. 1 target. He’s coming off a torn left ACL but should be ready to go by training camp. The trade felt like general manager Brad Holmes forced his way into a big move to fill a need, but Williams is going to be great when he’s on the field.”

3 Likes

The Lions could have walked away with Hutchinson, Cine and Watson. I don’t think too many people would have been upset with that. He made a gamble and moved up for a WR with more upside. For what he gave up I think the risk is worth it, but they did give up a better S prospect to do so. On paper anyway.

Holmes could just as easily turn out to be a complete genius a few years from now. He could have both hit on the better WR and S. Who knows. Kiper is right about one thing, the draft is a crapshoot.

1 Like

I get what Mel is saying. We gave up good value to move up. As I mentioned elsewhere, ‘normally’ I wouldn’t want to trade up in a deep draft. What he said is fair.

But I think the kid we drafted could be very special. In this case there is a risk, but the reward is a top end to elite WR if the injury hasn’t robbed him.

To call this a head scratcher is a little quaint. This was a calculated risk and everyone knew the score.

Wonder if he thought the Vikes did well on their end of the trade then?

4 Likes

It cost the Lions are third rd pick Mel is not good at simple math.

If the Rams Chiefs GB the League favorite teams Pats made that move he would have had to change his diaper,

4 Likes

Exactly. If Brad and Dan think this is the right move then I’m all on board. We need studs on this team and I believe JW will be a game changing stud. A player who the D has to focus on every play or will give up 6 pretty damn quick.

1 Like

To be honest, I couldn’t imagine this draft class without Paschal. Yes, Cine and Watson has a great deal of appeal, but Jamo and Paschal are special. As a Lions fan, I know we may one day regret this, and I’m one that typically hates trade-ups, but the offense just took on a new identity and the DL has had an injection of genuine heart, tenacity and grit.

8 Likes

Mel is falling into the same trap that a few people here have fallen into. The idea that the Lions are not allowed to acquire good football players until they load the roster up with mediocre players and overachieve with them. Then and only then are we allowed to bring in good football players in the draft and free agency. But good teams can bring in all of the good players they want.

That sounds like a terrible way to get out of being a bad football team. But some people truly believe it.

7 Likes
  • Dolphins receive: Wide receiver Tyreek Hill;
  • Chiefs receive: 2022 first-round pick (No. 29 overall), 2022 second-round pick (No. 50 overall), 2022 fourth-round pick, 2023 fourth-round pick, 2023 sixth-round pick.

I’ll gladly give up an extra third to get JW on a 5 year rookie contract as opposed to the Brinks truck Miami backed up to sign TH. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Speed kills and JW has speed to burn.

9 Likes

I think Mel was pretty disappointed that we didn’t take Malik Willis. He had him rated so high on his board.

I know there is discrepancies in trade value charts, but sometimes you really need to use common sense when looking at a trade. The trade with Minnesota was a no-brainer.

It’s silly for anyone to criticize the trade, it was such good value for the Lions, especially since they had jamo rated so high.

9 Likes

I truly believe that, at the time Kiper said that, he didn’t realize the Lions were getting back an early 2d Rd pick at No 46 overall.

6 Likes

Right. That highlights what the Lions really gave up–a 3d Rd pick at No. 66 overall.

Kwesi Adofo-Mensah was the equivalent of Jeff Carson on Thursday.

3 Likes

The Lions moved up 20 SPOTS in the FIRST ROUND and only gave up a 3rd. From 32 to 12! That’s like from 22 to 2! :smiley: Brad was surprised and was willing to give up a first next year.

2 Likes

They didn’t give up two picks. They gave up a 3rd to move up 20 spots in the 1st and down 14 spots in the 2nd. They gave up a 3rd, that’s it. They killed it on value. Kiper is acting like they didn’t take back 46 in return. No Mel, they didn’t give up the chance to draft two starters with high picks, they still had their two high picks and actually improved their 1st more than they downgraded their 2nd while only giving up a 3rd.

The Lions have been starved for game changers. They got arguably the most dynamic playmaker in the draft and only gave up a 3rd to swap picks. I’m not too worried about the injury because players return from ACL’s all the time, Akers being the most recent example. I’d be more concerned if it was a potential chronic injury like knee tendinitis, back injury etc., this isn’t it. Sure it’s a risk but you rarely get great reward without taking on some risk. I love the boldness of Holmes, it’s a refreshing change.

6 Likes

I listened to an interview with a respected former GM, and, sorry, I don’t remember his name. Maybe somebody else will have seen the interview and remember.
But they were discussing Homes signing back his own free agents this year and doing the one-year prove-it -deals.
He said that was a very good strategy for team building because we needed to get a core group of young players through the draft while supplementing the roster with prove it deal free agents. But eventually the team has to have star playmakers long term as well. They were talking free agency but getting a young long-term star playmaker in the draft is an extra bonus,.(as pointed out, salary) We most likely got 2 this draft.
Brad took the right chance and got a steal if it works out. And the chances seem good that it will. That’s why Brad was so excited. The build most likely just took a big jump forward.

8 Likes

Akers was an achilles tear. Traditionally more serious than an ACL. But advancements in surgical technique are even making those less likely to derail a career

4 Likes

Oh ok, I thought it was an ACL tear for some reason. Even better in that case although Akers recovery timeline was borderline miraculous.

2 Likes