Micah Parsons to bulk up, play DE full time

I think he is making a mistake unless he approaches this correctly. There is a long line of guys who had some success in the league and decided “I could be so much better if I were bigger!” They don’t realize how much of their success is tied to being the size that they are, and they can’t take everything they are doing now and simply plop it into a bigger body.

The article says he is trying to add 5 pounds of muscle. If he’s really trying to get 5-10 lbs heavier I think he can make it work. But if he thinks he’s going to show up 20+ lbs heavier and everything is going to be super awesome, I predict his name can be added to the list of guys who regressed due to not learning from other players mistakes.

6 Likes

“Let’s find something that works and then completely change it up!”

12 Likes

Dude has 56 QB hits in 2 seasons, I wouldn’t add much weight.

4 Likes

See : David Boston

4 Likes

It was probably Kellen Moore’s parting suggestion

Parsons aligned as an edge on 78.2% of snaps in 2022.

Didn’t realize how little he played inside linebacker last year. So, I guess having him full time on the edge isn’t much of a leap.

3 Likes

This is so stupid… but I’m glad the cowboys are doing it.

The old adage “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.” Not sure how “great” parsons is anyway but I fully hope this blows up in the cowboys face.

Maybe if he adds another 20 LBs he can play center

2 Likes

But why add weight? I dunno, if he can handle it cool, but why commit him to a full time DE when he did the edge role well?

1 Like

Parsons said it’s hard battling 300+ pound dudes when you’re 245 and he’s probably right about that one, especially in the run game.

3 Likes

That’s fair, I can understand that.

1 Like

Basically he’s just scared of Sewell.

3 Likes

I guess maybe it’s more of a comment on what Dallas is trying to do vs parsons himself? I guess to me it just sounds like taking a good player and trying to fit him into something else, like what the lions have done many times in the past. Remember Tavai being asked to gain weight then lose weight then gain more weight or whatever the hell they did with him? That’s kinda where I’m coming from. If the guy is a good player as is and can become great with better players around him as opposed to changing his game to make the defense better? I dunno…

For sure he can do that, I mean E Elliott played center for them last year

2 Likes

The brilliance in this post needs to be echoed. Welcome to “JerryWorld” !

1 Like

Some people are always trying to reinvent the wheel.

1 Like

this is a good point….

and also think about the difference between rushing when people think you are a LB… vs… taking on the OT straight up.

In his rookie year… Parsons moved around a bit…. had some “A”gap blitzes… and didn’t always have to square up against a 300+ pound OT that had long arms.

If he is going to face those OTs all the time now… having a little extra sand in his pants isn’t gonna slow him up much at all… but might help him not wear down.

1 Like

He actually had more QB hits as a rookie playing far less on the edge than he did in his second season. Lining him up all over the field actually seems like a better idea to me so the offensive line doesn’t know where he’s going to be all the time.

3 Likes

People have been trying it for decades. Like I said above, if he is just trying to tinker with 5 to 10 lbs I think he will be okay. But if he gets bigger than that he is going to see the same diminishing returns and regression countless other players have experienced. Being heavier is harder on the body and heart. Its not the gloryland people think it is. Thats why more players have had success shedding weight than gaining weight.

3 Likes

for sure…, I don’t think a 20 pound addition is a good idea…
but a 10… maybe 15 pounds of clran muscle… on a 6’3”3 frame… sounds like the sweet spot to me.

2 Likes

10-15 pounds of muscle would really help him raise his locker room prank game.