Mike Mayock out as Raiders GM

hope he covers the draft this april.

I hope Mayock goes back to NFL Network immediately.
Loved him on there.

1 Like

I have wondered how many decisions were made by Gruden that overruled what Mayock would have done???

Or… was this mostly a collaborative effort???

He bombed in the 1st round (if it was him and not Gruden making the picks) but did pretty good afterward. Maxx Crosby, Renfrow, Moreau, Mullen, Moehrig are all really good players.

2 Likes

Gruden seems like he’d listen but do what he wanted in the end.

Wait, I thought Mayovk was “making it look easy”…is this not true?

1 Like

I’m guessing we will not see these “tv booth” hires again for some time. These types have not lived the talent evaluation grind of more seasoned player personnel people. It’s almost impossible that they can have the substance of someone who’s done it at a detail level, and with a group of evaluators, for 10-15 years.

Despite all this experience, they still have a low hit rate.

I think Holmes & Co have a clear conceptual framework of the type of players they want. The player may need development but a baseline list of “gotta haves” will be there. I think being very clear on the player profiles you want is critical for roster building.

Let’s hope Holmes & Campbell are very clear and make good decisions. I like that they have a lot of strong minds helping them. That helps avoid brain-lock situations (like Quinn with Tabor) and other group-think issues.

Interesting offseason this year.
Decision one will be OC …

granted you want your new GM to pick the coach but the LV coach did pretty good considering the mess that was happening when he took over.

Ruggs looked like a solid pick before he decided to get twice drunk and pretend he was in the Monaco GP.

1 Like

Guys like Kiper have relationships with agents and he props their clients up on his “ big board. “

I agree…just having fun with the coach’s name.