Mini-camp Notes - Tues 4 June

Few quick thoughts off the Lions’ first minicamp workout this afternoon …

Chris Burke (The Athletic)

1. At the risk of rolling stereotypes, Danny Amendola works his ass off on every rep. One play, Stafford broke the pocket, then Amendola found a gap for a tough catch up the sideline. Coaches yelled out to the other WRs/TEs they had to work harder to keep their routes alive.

2. At least in part by necessity, the Lions are going to throw a lot on Tracy Walker’s plate. It doesn’t look like a “let’s see if he can handle all this” trial; it looks like “he’s going to play a huge role unless something goes wrong.”

3. At some point, Teez Tabor’s constant playmaking stops being fluky or caused by the offense’s rust and deserves credit for what it is. He’s turning in multiple big plays per practice and not getting beat for any.

4. I have a hard time figuring out where Ty Johnson fits on the roster, but his speed absolutely plays. The Lions do not have many (if any) other guys on offense who can kick it into the gear he has. But he’s also starting off as RB5 and maybe a return man, so there’s work to do.

5. The linebacker depth will be something to watch. Tavai’s headed for a significant role and Reeves-Maybin still seems to be a favorite of the staff. After that? Don’t really know, either inside or outside. Keep an eye on Eric Lee.

1 Like

Michael Rothstein (ESPN)

Teez Tabor, the Lions’ former second round pick, worked mostly with the first defense and had another interception today. He also broke up another Stafford deep pass, nearly picking it. With Darius Slay not in attendance, he’s been making the most of his opportunity to get reps. Among younger players, both safety Will Harris and linebacker Jahlani Tavai received first-team reps at portions of practice.

Wide receiver Brandon Powell caught my eye today with a few nice catches. He’s in a definite roster spot battle, particularly since Andy Jones, Chris Lacy and Danny Amendola got most of the first-team work with Marvin Jones and Kenny Golladay rehabbing. A little bit of a rougher day for rookie Travis Fulgham, who had two drops that I counted. But it’s just one day for a rookie so don’t read too much into that.

Kyle Meinke, MLive:

ALLEN PARK – There’s been a lot of hand-wringing among fans about the absence of Darius Slay and Snacks Harrison in Detroit this offseason. On Tuesday, those absences protracted into the first day of mandatory minicamp. Both are subjected to fines that can approach $90,000.

But one guy who probably doesn’t mind the holdouts? Teez Tabor.

Listen, Tabor has been a trainwreck through two seasons. And with new blood in the system with the likes of Rashaan Melvin, Justin Coleman and Amani Oruwariye, the former second-round pick could be facing a make-or-break offseason. There’s little doubt about it.

But with Slay keeping his distance from the club in pursuit of a new deal, Tabor has been the biggest beneficiary by getting a bunch of first-team reps. And he’s made the very most of that opportunity.

When Organized Team Activities opened last month, Tabor was shown on the team website intercepting a pass. When Detroit opened OTAs to reporters the following day, he got Connor Cook for another. In last week’s open practice, he broke up a Matthew Stafford pass intended for Danny Amendola on a comeback route. And let it be said, Amendola has been far and away Detroit’s best receiver with Kenny Golladay and Marvin Jones out.

On Tuesday, Tabor opened minicamp by turning in yet another strong practice performance. That includes picking off one pass where he tipped the ball near the line of scrimmage and managed to handle the carom. He nearly added another pick later in practice, and settled for the breakup on a pass intended for Andy Jones.

Of course, Andy Jones probably isn’t going to the Pro Bowl any time soon. With Jones and Golladay not participating in team drills, Tabor hasn’t been tested by Detroit’s best. So take his progress with a healthy helping of salt.

Then again, when the ball is thrown his way, Tabor is just making plays man. And he’s rarely getting beat. While that might mean much at this early stage, it’s certainly better than him struggling against backups.

What exactly this all means is unclear. But there are obvious signs of progress, and for a player on the verge of getting run out of town, this is encouraging. I still think Darius Slay and Rashaan Melvin will start at outside cornerback in Arizona, but if Tabor can parlay this strong start into something real in training camp and beyond, Detroit’s secondary could be even deeper than originally thought.

“It’s one of those things where I’ve seen that growth from last year,” coach Matt Patricia said. “We’d be in there installing or going through defenses, and he’s just taking that next step of saying, ‘All right, well hey, what if this happens? What do you want to do here? What’s the leverage look like in this call, or how do you want me to play this technique here?’ That shows just a lot of growth from the mental side of it.”

Patricia has clearly been impressed. He’s not a huge fan of singling out players because he wants to keep the attention on the team, but sang Tabor’s praises for 319 words before practice on Tuesday.

“I would say it probably started (with) more than what you’re seeing right now,” Patricia said. "It really started after (last) season – he’s just done a great job of coming in and trying to learn the game, understand he has a lot to learn. He’s still a young player, and he’s really attacked that from an aspect of going at it with a fresh set of eyes. On the field, I think he’s really trying to improve his technique, and he’s really trying to play patient.

“It’s a good opportunity for us right now in a non-contact sort of mentality where you can really work on footwork and you can work on the fundamental skills of what we need to do out there and just focus on the attention to detail to that. The next step will be carrying that over when we do finally get pads on and implementing the physical part of the technique. He’s just done everything that we’ve asked him to do, worked extremely hard, he’s studying the game, he’s in the meeting rooms, he’s asking great questions.”

Now the question is: Is Tabor’s rise real, or a June mirage?

A couple other observations from practice today:

– It was a sloppy day for the offense, with a bunch of flags and drops. First-round pick T.J. Hockenson had one of them – after dropping one pass all last season at Iowa – and then there was a flag on the very next play. Outside of Danny Amendola, who has become Matthew Stafford’s favorite target in the absence of Golladay and Marvin Jones, the offense just wasn’t sharp.

– Snacks Harrison and Darius Slay weren’t in attendance, as expected. Everyone else was accounted for, but a bunch of players continue to work on the side with a trainer. That includes Golladay, Marvin Jones, defensive end Trey Flowers, defensive end Austin Bryant, tight end Isaac Nauta, receiver Tommylee Lewis, tight end Jerome Cunningham, linebacker Steve Longa, safety David Jones and fullback Nick Bawden.

– I don’t think there’s much to worry about with Golladay and Marvin Jones. Both receivers have worked on the side with a trainer, and later in practice were running and catching footballs in the end zone. Their absences seem precautionary more than anything as they make their way back from an injury-riddled 2018.

– For the third straight practice open to reporters, Frank Ragnow remained at center and Graham Glasgow kicked to right guard. It sure seems like the Lions are keen on that alignment, no matter how much Matt Patricia tries to downplay the significance. Kenny Wiggins has been the left guard.

– On the second team, Joe Dahl got some run today at center. His versatility is probably his strongest attribute at this point, and his best case for making the team. He played left tackle in college before getting much of his time at guard in Detroit the last couple years.

– Once again, rookie Jahlani Tavai mixed in with the first team at linebacker. I still don’t have a great feel for how much he’ll play when the season opens, but here’s betting he eventually becomes a regular in Year 1. He’s a big dude, and the Lions have been experimenting with different ways to get him going after the quarterback.

– Da’Shawn Hand has gotten the bulk of Snacks Harrison’s usual reps anchoring the first-team defensive line, and Romeo Okwara has replaced Trey Flowers on the end. When Detroit’s back at full strength, that front has a chance to become one of the deepest in the game.

1 Like

Jeremy Reisman, Pride of Detroit:

The Detroit Lions took the field on Tuesday afternoon for their sixth offseason practice, but their first mandatory minicamp session. Minicamp is a little different, and not just because it’s mandatory. Practice sessions are a little longer—30 minutes, according to head coach Matt Patricia. Additionally, players have a full slate of activities for the day, upwards of 10 hours of on and off-the-field activities.

With practice taking on a little more intensity, here’s what I noted from Tuesday’s session.

Participation - As expected, Damon Harrison Sr. and Darius Slay were both absent from Allen Park. Every single other Lions player was accounted for on the day. However, not everyone was an active participant.

The group of players working with trainers for the majority of practice includes the following: Kenny Golladay, Marvin Jones Jr., Tommylee Lewis, Nick Bawden, Isaac Nauta, David Jones, Steve Longa, Jerome Cunningham, Trey Flowers and Austin Bryant.

Of that group, only Tommylee Lewis looked far away from being near healthy. Lewis was missing from last week’s practice and was walking around with a pretty significant limp on Tuesday. He did practice catching some passes while stationary, but it’s clear he may sit for a while.

Interceptions galore

The Lions may have been missing Darius Slay, but it was raining interception on Tuesday. By my count, there were at least four picks during the session: Quandre Diggs on a deflected pass, Tavon Wilson on a great read-and-jump, Jamal Agnew with a practice-ending pick six, and… yep, Teez Tabor again.

I don’t want to hype up Tabor too much, as I’ve written about him in just about every one of these recaps, but no one is taking advantage of their extra reps more than Tabor right now. He’s consistently been with the first-team defense and he’s been as consistent of a playmaker as you can be right now.

And it’s not just interceptions. Tabor had a great pass breakup on Andy Jones on Tuesday, and nearly made another a few plays later.

Obviously, Tabor isn’t going against the greatest WR competition with Marvin Jones and Kenny Golladay out, but he’s doing everything in his power to overcome two rough years to start his NFL career.

Don’t forget Tavon Wilson

The Lions have a slew of young safeties in Tracy Walker and Will Harris, but don’t overlook veteran Tavon Wilson in the picture. Wilson made a great case for himself on Tuesday, not only picking up an interception, but looking fierce as a box safety.

On one play, he closed in so hard on Michael Roberts that he actually knocked him over. About 30 minutes later, he crashed down on Roberts again for a minimal gain, and nearly put him on the ground again.

Sloppy

For the first time this offseason, NFL officials were in attendance, and the flags were flying. At one point, the second-team offense was struggling to simply get a snap off because of snap count and alignment issues. Additionally, during 11-on-11s, the defense had too many men on the field and that caused the entire defensive roster—not just the players on the field—to do a full lap around the field.

No change on the lines

Frank Ragnow remained at center on Tuesday. Kenny Wiggins continues to get reps ahead of Oday Aboushi at left guard.

There was one interesting change with the second team, however. Leo Koloamatangi slid over to left guard while Joe Dahl got a significant look at center. Shortly after I noticed the change, Dahl got the snap count wrong and was forced to do a lap. For someone trying to display his versatility, Dahl can’t afford to lose reps while doing laps.

Nothing new to report on the defensive line.

Random thoughts

• Brandon Powell made a couple of good plays, including a full-extended grab with a toe-tap. After catching the ball, he looked up to the referee, who confirmed he got his feet in.

• I haven’t written much about T.J. Hockenson during OTAs, but it’s only because he’s been boringly great. He’s clearly going to be a significant part of this offense, and I’ve only seen one drop all offseason. Interestingly, I keep confusing him with a slot receiver, because of how fluidly and quick he moves. Despite his size and length, he looks small and shifty out there.

• Andrew Adams had a good day, as well. The Lions’ safety depth chart is looking very impressive early on.

• Amani Oruwariye remains with the second and third teams. He hasn’t done much, and the one play that sticks out from Tuesday was when rookie Travis Fulgham created a yard or two of separation on a comeback route. Though I haven’t seen Oruwariye get burned yet, he also appears to have some ground to make up before we can start putting him in the CB2 conversation.

Erik Schlitt, Lionswire:

The Detroit Lions held their first day of mandatory minicamp and while Darius Slay and Damon Harrison were notable no shows as they seek changes in their contracts, those players who did attend worked out at various levels of participation.

Darius Slay and Damon Harrison officially not at Lions mandatory minicamp

“It’s nothing uncharted territory from that aspect of it,” coach Matt Patricia said in his morning press conference regarding the absence fo Slay and Harrison. “We’re just focused on the guys that are here. We’re really just trying to get better. We’ve had great attendance through the spring of guys here trying to get better. That’s our main focus: to really improve the players out on the field. We’ll have all different situations we deal with from whatever it is. Our energy and our focus right now is just trying to get better out on the field.”

Of the remaining 88-players on the active roster who were out on the field, 77 appeared to participate without restrictions while the remaining 11 were limited or completely unable to practice.

The Lions top two wide receivers, Kenny Golladay and Marvin Jones, began the day with trainers and did some light jogging. It wasn’t long before they completed their time with the training staff and were traveling with their position group. As practice wore on, both did walk/jog-through routes with coaches and took turns catching passes.

Slot receiver Tommylee Lewis, who was absent from the OTA practice open to the media last week, was also with trainers today. He traveled with Golladay/Jones and the rest of the receivers group but he was noticeably slowed by a lower-body injury. He also caught passes from coaches but he was definitely walking not jogging.

Fullback Nick Bawden, and tight ends Isaac Nauta and Jerome Cunningham, also spend considerable time with trainers today and appeared more limited than the trio of receivers listed above. Nauta and Lewis played catch at one point but were not seen jogging.

Defenders Trey Flowers, Austin Bryant, Steve Longa and David Jones rarely left the training area. Flowers and Longa were seen jogging at the back of the field but it was difficult to tell (because of proximity to the designated media area) how much they participated in beyond that.

Corner Justin Coleman wasn’t seen with trainers and traveled with the defensive backs group, but if he took an on-field snap, I didn’t see it.

Of the 11 not fully participating, Coleman, Golladay and Jones look the closest to returning but at this point in the offseason, don’t expect the team to rush any of the starters back too quickly and it wouldn’t be surprising if they don’t return until training camp.

Dave Birkett, Det FreeP:

Just when it looked safe to write off Teez Tabor after a rough 2018, the cornerback is making waves again.

Tabor has worked primarily with the Detroit Lions’ starting defense this spring while Darius Slay has stayed away from the team in hopes of landing a new contract, and the 2017 second-round pick has shown signs of jump-starting his sputtering career.

Tabor had an impressive first day of Lions minicamp Tuesday, intercepting a Matthew Stafford pass in a seven-on-seven drill early in practice and showing the catch-up speed — seriously — to knock down a deep shot to Andy Jones later.

Now, it must be noted that the Lions are without their top two receivers, Marvin Jones and Kenny Golladay, as they rehab from injuries, so Tabor isn’t covering top-flight NFL receivers.

But taking the you-can-only-cover-who’s-in-front-of-you approach, he’s made the most of his opportunities.

Tabor declined an interview request as he walked off the field Tuesday, saying coaches told him not to talk to reporters, but Lions coach Matt Patricia had only good things to say about the 23-year-old before practice.

“He’s just done a great job of coming in and trying to learn the game, understanding he has a lot to learn,” Patricia said. “He’s still a young player, and he’s really attacked that from an aspect of going at it with a fresh set of eyes. On the field, I think he’s really trying to improve his technique, and he’s really trying to play patient. It’s a good opportunity for us right now in a non-contact sort of mentality where you can really work on footwork and you can work on the fundamental skills of what we need to do out there and just focus on the attention to detail to that.”

Tabor still has some work to do to make the 53-man roster this fall.

“The next step will be carrying that over when we do finally get pads on and implementing the physical part of the technique also,” Patricia said.

Slay, Justin Coleman and Rashaan Melvin project as the Lions’ starting cornerbacks this fall, return man Jamal Agnew and fifth-round pick Amani Oruwariye are among others in the mix for backup jobs, and Tabor might not provide the same special-teams value as other backups in the secondary.

But if he plays in the preseason like he did Tuesday, Tabor might finally realize some of the potential the Lions saw coming out of college.

More observations from Day 1 of Lions minicamp:

• It was more of the same in the attendance department Tuesday as Slay and defensive tackle Damon Harrison remain away from the Lions in contract disputes and Jones (knee), Golladay, Trey Flowers (shoulder), Tommylee Lewis, Nick Bawden (knee) and Austin Bryant (pectoral) highlight the rehab group.

• I know a lot has been made of the Lions using more two tight end sets this year, but the way they’re rolling personnel onto the field in practice, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Lions play with three tight ends on the field at times this fall. And I don’t just mean in goal-line or short-yardage situations.

The Lions have some big bodies at the tight end position in Jesse James (6-7, 261), T.J. Hockenson (6-5, 251), Michael Roberts (6-5, 265) and Logan Thomas (6-6, 250), and all of those players have the ability to detach from the line of scrimmage and create mismatches based on personnel. Obviously, Jones and Golladay will be important parts of the passing game when they return, but the size the Lions can throw at teams in the red area should be fun to watch.

• Rookie linebacker Jahlani Tavai got a lot of work with the first-team defense Tuesday, and the Lions are making good on their word to play him all over the field. Tavai can line up on or off the ball as a linebacker, in the middle or on the edge. He’s still this team’s No. 4 linebacker, but I imagine he’ll play in a package or two early in the year.

• Former professional lacrosse player Tom Kennedy has long odds to make the initial 53-man roster, but man is he quick. Kennedy’s shiftiness and burst are especially on display when he fields punts. He did lose a fumble in one 11-on-11 drill later in practice, though the play was bang-bang enough that it might have been reviewed for a catch in a real game. But two plays later, he appeared to make a nice grab on a low ball in traffic. He’ll be one to watch all summer.

Twentyman and O’Hara:

Making plays: This is a big offseason for third-year cornerback Teez Tabor, and he’s making the most of the opportunity to play more reps with Darius Slay not taking part in practice. Tabor stepped in front of a pass Tuesday in the first day of the mandatory minicamp and returned it for a touchdown. It gives Tabor an interception in all three open practices to the media so far, including OTAs and minicamp. He also swatted away a deep Matthew Stafford pass intended for Andy Jones later in practice. Tabor has played well so far this offseason. – Tim Twentyman

Adjustment: Stafford made one to complete a pass to Danny Amendola. As Stafford rolled to his right a receiver who’d been open on short route stumbled and fell. Stafford continued rolling right and lofted a pass over a defender to Amendola, who jumped to make the reception and got both feet down before going out of bounds. – Mike O’Hara

Increased workload: Second-round pick Jahlani Tavai got some significant work with the first-team defense Tuesday. Tavai’s size and speed combination make him a pretty versatile player at linebacker, and the Lions seem to be putting him in a lot of different situations to see what he can handle. After practice, veteran linebacker Devon Kennard said Tavai was picking up the defense “really well” and expected his role to continue to expand the more he learns. – Tim Twentyman

Hand fighting: The use of hands by linemen doesn’t get a lot of attention, but it’s not an underrated skill by players and coaches. Frank Ragnow and Tyrell Crosby got a standoff going against each other one-on-one, with each taking turns as the pass rusher. It was a little bit like shadow boxing. A draw meant good work by both men. – Mike O’Hara

Extra time: Minicamp allows the coaches to keep the players on the field an extra half hour over the 90 minutes they get for OTAs. Head coach Matt Patricia used some of that extra time at the end of practice to give extra reps to the rookies and young players who might not get a lot of reps during the course of full-squad practice. – Tim Twentyman

Ty Johnson: His speed is a given, and it stands out at some point every day. He had a double dip Tuesday. First was a short catch over the middle going from his left to right that turned into a big gain when he accelerated to get to the sideline to turn upfield. Later he made a jump cut to get through traffic at the line of scrimmage. Impressive. – Mike O’Hara

Work in progress: Installing a new system takes time. The defense went through the growing pains of it last year at this time, and the offense is working through it right now. There were a few times Tuesday where some signals got crossed with the quarterbacks expecting different routes from the receivers. It was a little sloppy on that side of the ball to open minicamp. The install is still a work in progress. – Tim Twentyman

Working back: Rehabbing wide receivers Kenny Golladay and Marvin Jones Jr. didn’t take part in practice Tuesday, but they did ramp up their activity on the side, running and catching balls. – Tim Twentyman

I know it’s June and the guys are in shorts and there’s no hitting (much), so you can’t really draw any conclusions. A few maybe though:

It looks like the Lions are going to roll with Ragnow at Center, with Glasgow at one LG and maybe Wiggins at LG, which of course could change. I’m guessing they think they can run the ball better with that lineup. I hope it works.

Nice the Tabor is doing well, but I still got a lotta doubts that he makes the team unless he plays really well on ST. Wishing him well though.

The Amendola signing looks good to me when we ain’t going 2TEs. Or 3TEs. Who knows who will be their 4th WR, I got doubts that they’ll go with 5. I would not be surprised if they went with Ty Johnson in lieu of a 5th WR, speed kills.

They like JRM? I thought he was too small.

A bunch of flags and drops? Shit.again.

Lotta guys hurtin’, I was hoping for fewer injuries this year.

Eric Schlitt, LionsWire:

The Detroit Lions held their first of three days of mandatory minicamp and as always there was plenty to observe and report. Practices last a little longer today, roughly 30-minutes more than the previous offseason training activities, and NFL officials were in attendance to help the players understand when they make plays outside the current rules.

The team spent their first week of OTAs working on red zone plays, then last week on first and second downs, which led into today’s practices that focused on third downs and special teams.

Of the players on the team’s 90-man roster, 77 were able to fully participate in today’s practice, with notable limitations from expected starters Marvin Jones, Kenny Golladay, Trey Flowers and Justin Coleman, along with absences from Darius Slay and Damon Harrison.

Linebacker movement
With no pads on, it’s difficult to get an accurate read of the offensive and defensive lineman but that has opened the door to get a much deeper look at the linebacker positions. Today we saw both three and four linebacker formations and a steady rotation of players alternating between the spots.

For the most part, things remain the same among the starters with Jarrad Davis at the MIKE, Devon Kennard at the JACK and Christian Jones at the WILL, but Jahlani Tavai continues to get looks with the first unit sending Jones to the bench or into another role. Tavai looks more and more poised to take on starter level snaps, even if he isn’t listed among the starters on the depth chart.

When Tavai is on the field with the second team, he is joined by Jalen Reeves-Maybin as the second off-the-ball linebacker and both can alternate roles — though it looks like Reeves-Maybin is lining up at the MIKE more often in these third down situations. With Steve Longa injured, third team MIKE reps went to Garret Dooley who spent his rookie season on the practice squad injured reserve list last year.

Things get a bit more interesting at the second team JACK spot as it has Eric Lee who has stepped up into this role after playing at the down defensive end all of last year. Last week he was spotted with the linebackers during their extra work period post-OTAs and this experience could go a long way to him making the 53-man roster. With Austin Bryant not participating, the third team JACK reps went to undrafted rookie Malik Carney.

Defensive backs reside in Pick City
With the team focused on 3rd down situations they spent a lot of time today showing six defensive backs sets and that means they had both a third corner and a third safety on the field at once. These extra defensive backs meant there was a lot more speed than their base defense and that resulted in more turnovers.

Quandre Diggs kicked off today’s practice with an interception he picked up off his shoelaces, reacting to a tipped ball intended for a tight end (I didn’t catch the number).

Teez Tabor got yet another interception (his third of OTAs) and caused a pass breakup while covering Andy Jones on a pass from Stafford. He continues to make plays and not get burned this offseason and the hype train continues to pick up steam. He even spent some time with coach Matt Patricia getting some one-on-one attention after a big play.

Tavon Wilson got in on the action jumping a short crossing route and intercepting a pass intended for a tight end. Wilson saw an expanded role today, splitting time with Will Harris in the slot but also getting extra work in at the single-high safety position.

Jamal Agnew closed the day down with an interception of his own, pick-sixing Connor Cook, which drew a loud celebration from the defense. It’s worth noting that with Coleman out and Agnew with the first team, it was Andre Chachere who took the field as the next slot corner on the depth chart, something we didn’t see last week.

Overall, it was a rough day for the offense as most of the day featured some sloppy decisions and loads of rust. Despite the difficulties, there were some positive takeaways to be had.

No changes on the first team Offensive Line
The first-team offensive line once again trotted out the same combination of players as they have all of OTAs featuring (from left to right across the line) Taylor Decker, Kenny Wiggins, Frank Ragnow, Graham Glasgow and Rick Wagner.

On the second team, center Leo Kolomatangi and left guard Joe Dahl switched positions in a cross-training exercise today and despite Dahl having experience in the middle, he was forced to run a lap today for a false start penalty in which he didn’t snap the ball on time.

The undrafted rookies didn’t get much playing time, but the only one that stood out was Ryan Pope and that was because he was running a lap after his own false start.

Skill Players
T.J. Hockenson looked to have split first-team reps with Jesse James, as they have throughout OTAs, but this time it was the rookies turn to standout. Hockenson is so efficient in his routes that after a silky smooth catch and run, one beat writer briefly thought he was a slot receiver before seeing the No. 88 on the back of his jersey.

There was a lot of tight end usage today, including sets that featured three at a time. Considering today was all about third downs, it could have just been situational football, but it’s entirely possible they will be featured in abundance often regardless of down.

The wide receivers had their ups and downs today but it was another standard day for a group missing their top superstars. Danny Amendola again showed his reliability and looks to be getting more and more comfortable with Matthew Stafford. Andy Jones and Chris Lacy continue to hold down the starting positions next to Amendola.

Rookie Travis Fulgham had another solid play today that illustrates his potential but he really needs to start completing catches on these plays or it won’t matter much in the long run. On the play, he ran a crossing route where Amani Oruwariye attempted to jam him at the line, but Fulgham beat him to the punch and out-leveraged him to gain separation. Oruwaryie closed the gap quickly but needed to grab Fulgham (it was called pass interference on the field) in order to prevent the catch.

The running backs got more work than usual today, but with no pads or tackling, there’s not a lot that can be ascertained other than a nice reminder of how smooth Kerryon Johnson is.