MLB - Ohtani!

Sure is fun to watch Ohtani destroying MLB pitching! Had this debate with some friends yesterday, and I think Ohtani should focus on hitting and becoming a full time position player to prolong his career. He’s already had knee and Tommy John surgery in his young career, if he continues to try to do both, I think his career is going to be cut short.

What do you guys think?

He is a good pitcher. Very good. Not Top 20 in the league . Over his career he might have a few Top 20 seasons though.

I’d like to see him keep pitching until he really matures as a pitcher, not a thrower. Then you’ll know what he really is.

He is a top 20ish hitter, but like DHs, you have to be really good since you bring no defensive value. Of course he is unique in that the pitching value far outstrips any potential defensive value.

This is yr 4 for him and it’s his first full season(thus far) so yeah, he might be injury prone and DHing him would cut your risk. I dont think the risk/reward is there on that move yet. Wait to see if he can pitch 3-4 straight seasons…then decide…sooner if he starts getting shelled and it affects his hitting, mentally.

Being a two way player at the highest level is pretty remarkable. I’d keep going with pitching and DHing and see if one tails off.

It’s really a treat to watch him perform and I hope he can maintain it for many years.

1 Like

I agree, it’s amazing to see. I saw Ohtani live in Japan in his final season before coming to MLB, such a talent. I just don’t see his pitching career working out long term, he’s started a grand total of 24 games in 4 seasons, averaging 6 starts per season. And with his injury history, including TJ on his throwing arm, his desire to pitch may significantly shorten his career and $$ earning potential.

With that said, I look forward to seeing him hit 60 home runs this year!

The Angels have Mike Trout, the best player in the MLB, the closest thing we’ve seen to Babe Ruth in like 50 years, and Anthony Rendon, who is really good, and still can’t get into the playoffs.

1 Like

They haven’t bought, drafted or developed a pitcher worth a shit in 15 years. They’ve tried…it just never works…so many got hurt, way more than what we ould be expected…and then just general bad talent evaluation. Then the ones they do get OD from the clubhouse attendant giving them fentanyl laced party drugs. Good Times!

Oh shit! I forgot all about that scandal.

And the Angels prove that great hitting lineups are fun to watch, but without pitching, you got no shot at making the playoffs. Similar to football when a team has a great offense, but the defense sucks, hard to be successful.

1 Like

Easy winner … Doc Ellis throwing a no hitter while tripping his face off.

I still want to see that one made into a movie. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas meets The Natural.

3 Likes

Bo Jackson.

Deion’s abilities came from just one skill, really, elite speed/twitch.

Bo was simply unbelievable due to the size/power/speed/arm/physicality aspects were off the chart. There was a LOT of Swing and miss in his game, but he had the raw tools with 1 sport focus to be .280 hitter. Only guy in baseball I have seen play that were close to him would be Eric Davis. Junior was a level above but lacked the speed element.

Guys I haven’t seen? Willie Mays.

Football wise, who is his comp? Jim Brown? Yeah that’s about it, even then he was faster, maybe a lot faster than Jim Brown.

So, Kinda Willie Mays and Jim Brown in one body

Yeah, nobody is beating that. Sorry, not sorry.

4 Likes

Hahaha nice video! You could almost hear the wheels turning in that kid’s head… “so you played football AND baseball?”

1 Like

Jesse owens, Jim Thorpe, Michael Phelps.

Yeah, Ohtani’s good, no doubt. Let’s see what he’s like in 5, 8, 15 years. He might end up being another Trout.
Football players used to play both sides of the ball. What a glorious time it must have been to see that.

1 Like

Barry could have easily been a hall of fame corner in my book. Those feet he had, plus the speed and ability to cut on a dime! He would have been a shorter Revis.

And yes Ohtani is unreal, hard to believe what he’s doing. I still think he might need to give up pitching at some point in the future though to ensure he has a long career. He’s already had knee and arm surgery. Bo Jackson being mentioned above, injuries sadly destroyed his career way to soon.

Bo was the first to pop into my head as well, but this is a different beast. It’s straight up comedy the swings 98% of MLB pitchers take when at the plate, and this dude is straight up RAKING! I don’t know if it’s the "greatest athletic performance ", but it is beyond impressive, and it is fun to watch. I am a Dodger fan… hate the Anaheim Angels, but I sure don’t get up for a beer when he’s hitting. He’s on a team with Mike Trout… Mike F’n Trout, and he might just be the best player on that team, and that is saying A LOT!

I merged these two threads to help the conversation.

1 Like

Trout, up until a few years ago, added elite defense. Still is elite on base, average etc.

Ohtani strikes out, hits HRs and steals some bases, and that’s about it as a hitter.

So did Ron Gant.

Who is Ron Gant?

Exactly.

The hype train on Ohtani is circling Jupiter.

I’m not saying he isn’t fun to watch or isn’t good. He is really good. But the hyperbole is ridiculous. We got 3 months of this from him at the plate, with 2 previous injury shortened 60% seasons where his hitting put him at about peak Chet Lemon

1 Like

I reposted because I was posting while it got locked.

Didn’t we just talk about this???

Hey, I hated the Braves, so I sure the hell know who Ron Gant is lol. He’s no Dale Murphy or Bob Horner, but who is? Come on though… when did Ron Gant hit 32 in a half a season. Hell, did Ron Gant hit 32 in a whole season? I know he wasn’t the best pitcher on his team. Even if Greg, Tom, and Steve weren’t there… he still ain’t close. This is special man.

Bo was Nasty. Combination of power and speed - ridiculous. Sure did hate it when he got hurt. My 2nd fav RB

I remember sitting in front of my parents RCA in a book case 80s TV and seeing the play that ended him. I still have and cherish the black and white Beckett with him in shoulder pads and the bat behind his shoulders… bad F’n man!

1 Like