Mlive: Meineke's final mock draft has the Lions taking QB Justin Fields

You’re a mean one. Mr. Grinch…

grinch smile GIF

That’s honestly pretty good reasoning for the Fields pick.

Also also, another QB-To-Detroit thing to come out in the last 48 hours. I’m getting a good feeling.

1 Like

If that’s what happens, I won’t complain.

However, it will push the rebuilding effort back another year or two. Might be looking at 2023-2024 (instead of 2022-2023) before the Lions are competitive.

Honestly, and to anyone that has that complaint about taking a QB, this franchise has never won. Why does it matter when we win? Like if this pushes the timeline back a year or two, what difference does that make? It’s not imperative to win as soon as possible. They just have to win at all first.

2 Likes

Why?

Been a Lions fan since 1970. The first game I remember is the 5-0 playoff loss to Dallas in a game they should’ve won. That team was good enough to win the Super Bowl.

Last playoff win was in 1991. That’s 30 years ago.

Since then, the Lions are 0-8 in wildcard playoff games–all on the road, except one–the Brett Favre coming out party in 1993. Remember that one too. I was there. Couldn’t believe how wide open Sterling Sharpe was.

Been waiting long enough.

1 Like

I understand that, but it’s been 30 years right? What’s another year?

or two, or three, or …

We just need to be patient guys. Lions fans are way too demanding!

5 Likes

The Lions AREN’T drafting a QB at #7.

1. If they were, acquiring Goff would make zero sense.

2. Once they did acquire Goff, they went on to talk about how he was their guy 100%.

3. If they draft a QB in the 1st, they are effectively telling everyone on the team “Our word to you means nothing”.

5 Likes

It’s called smokescreening.

Goff was two things. Keep in mind that this is what we all thought at the time of the trade before Goff was lionized in our minds.

A. The placeholder so the rookie could develop
B. A backup plan in case they didn’t get the rookie they wanted

If you tell the world you’re drafting a QB, unless you’re high enough, you risk someone trading ahead of you. Not only do the Lions have an adequate placeholder for the year if the guy they want isn’t on the board, but they haven’t risked someone trading ahead of them for the guy they want.

In reality, Goff is what most everyone thought he was when the trade went down. A placeholder. And then we looked for ways to rationalize him. “He’d be better than any QB in this class!” “He took his team to a Super Bowl.” “The reason the Rams gave up 2 1st round picks to get rid of him and get a guy with no playoff wins was because of his feud with McVay!” to name a couple of popular ones.

With the stuff coming out now about Lions QB potential, I don’t see how this wasn’t an amazing smokescreen job. Unless the staff is that crazy and actually doesn’t look at why the Rams made that deal. Stafford didn’t win a playoff game, and now we think we’re going to win them with someone who is 2 1st round picks worse? Doesn’t make sense.

2 Likes

I just don’t understand why anyone would think the Lions are going to draft a QB, it makes very little sense at all…unless you can get some kind of a Hershel Walker type of haul for Goff.

4 Likes

Just like one more at the bar…One more and i’ll go…ah what would one more hurt…just one more, and this is it.

The biggest problem with the Herschel Walker trade is they made it 30 years too early. They should have saved all of those picks for Kyle Pitts!

Happy University Of Florida GIF by Florida Gators

1 Like

1 Like

Maybe because they didn’t believe one they’d want would be available to them?

They take Goff becuae he’s better than Daniels. Have to have someone.

Every year, people claim that everything is a “smokescreen” and yet most draft picks turn out what people were expecting.

1 Like

I’m hoping we don’t draft a QB. Goff is a known commodity and it seems like we are building an offense that he can succeed in. A strong oline and run game. with YAC receivers

We have too many holes on the team to put a top QB in the bullpen. If anything take a mid round flyer on a second tier QB

5 Likes

Goff is a franchise QB who is a proven winner. I’d take Goff over almost all the QB’s in this draft.

I think people get too enamored with new shiny toys, we should be appreciative we have Goff and not having to draft another QB.

6 Likes

“You’ve already been in prison for 30 years, surely you won’t mind if we add just one more year to your sentence because of scheduling issues. That’s not a problem, is it?”

3 Likes

Yes. We should be very appreciative and pass up on the QB with the most raw talent since Cam Newton for the guy who has turned the ball over more than any other QB in the league the past 3 years, and who another team (who actually wins) gave up along with 2 1st round picks for a guy who hasn’t won a playoff game.

Let me ask you this question. If Goff was such a great “winner”, why did the Rams give up their winner and 2 1st round picks for a guy who isn’t by that definition a “winner”?

1 Like