Mock draft 2 rounds

By Jeff Risdon

The 2021 NFL season is nearly halfway complete, with most teams having played eight of their 17 regular-season games. That gives us a fairly solid baseline for the range in which teams will be drafting and the needs they figure to try and fill with those picks in the 2022 NFL Draft.

This is the first mock projection for the year. The draft order here is based upon the current standings prior to the Monday Night Football game in Week 8. I went two rounds to get almost every team included, and this mock draft was begun just minutes before the Rams traded away their Day 2 picks to the Broncos for Von Miller. The picks here represent an early guess at what I believe the teams would do with the given slot, not necessarily what I would do if I were making the pick. Because it’s early on, my own preferences do carry more weight than later versions will once we know more about both the teams and the prospects.

1. Lions: Kayvon Thibodeaux, EDGE, Oregon . The most impactful talent in the draft is an obvious choice for a Lions team in dire need of impact talents on both sides of the ball. It’s hard to ignore Detroit’s desperation at quarterback, but it’s harder to ignore what Thibodeaux could do for a young defense that has some nice pieces but needs the centerpiece.

2. Texans: Aidan Hutchinson, EDGE, Michigan . Two pass rushers at the top? Yes. Hutchinson figures to test better than a Bosa brother and brings the same sort of proven collegiate results and NFL potential as either Joey or Nick, and they both went in the top 3. The Houston overhaul gets its new featured defender.

3. Eagles (from Dolphins): Matt Corral, QB, Ole Miss. I don’t believe the Eagles are out on Jalen Hurts yet, but I also can’t rule out that they see how much Corral offers and become enamored enough to take the plunge. Corral’s leap in his final season echoes those of Dak Prescott and Patrick Mahomes, two QBs who were not nearly as well-regarded as they should have been because they lacked preseason hype. I’m not saying, I’m just sayin’…

4. Jaguars: Kyle Hamilton, S Notre Dame . The Jaguars need playmakers on defense, and Hamilton has proven he can create a big impact against both the run and pass from his safety spot. It’s higher than the first safety is typically taken but Hamilton isn’t your typical top safety prospect.

5. Football Team: Malik Willis, QB, Liberty . It’s a big leap of faith to invest such a high pick in Willis, who has incredible physical tools but comes from a simple offense in a lower-level FBS league, where he’s been inconsistent. The Football Team has the type of team that can help him develop quickly, and it’s a step they might need to make to snap out of consistently picking in the top 10.

6. Jets: Derek Stingley Jr., CB, LSU . Stingley is a technically polished and physically confident man-coverage corner who should be able to play on an island. For a team that starts Javelin Guidry and Brandin Echols at cornerback, that’s an easy projection.

7. Giants: George Karlaftis, EDGE, Purdue . If Aidan Hutchinson is a long-lost Bosa brother, Karlaftis fits the mold of a member of the Watt family of pass rushers. Long, strong and quick, he’s scheme-versatile. The Giants get the do-it-all rusher they’ve been looking for.

8. Eagles: Evan Neal, OT, Alabama. It wouldn’t surprise me if Neal came off the board at No. 2. Hard to look past that sort of potential. Neal could be the long-term solution the Eagles have sought at OT for the last couple of seasons.

9. Eagles (from Colts): Andrew Booth, CB, Clemson . Booth doesn’t have the ball production of most elite CBs, but the blanket coverage, long speed and excellent run defense make him too talented to omit. He’d make a great complement to Darius Slay in Philadelphia.

10. Jets (from Seahawks): Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State . Perhaps the easiest projection outside of the No. 1 pick in this entire draft. The Jets need nothing more than a playmaking wide receiver on offense. Olave is a spectacular one of those from a program that reliably churns out NFL-ready receivers.

11. Giants (from Bears): Kenyon Green, OG, Texas A&M . Normally when you notice an interior lineman in a big game it’s not in a positive context. But Green’s performance in the Aggies upset over Alabama proved otherwise. He was the most impactful player on the field and did it playing left tackle. If he can come close to that for the Giants, the OL overhaul is in great shape.

12. Falcons: Ahmad Gardner, CB, Cincinnati. Pour that Sauce all over a Falcons defense that has a crying lack of playmaking flavor at cornerback. Gardner’s consistency against all types of wide receivers stands out.

13. Dolphins (from 49ers): Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State . One of the in-season risers, Cross has added more strength to his game and it looks like it will translate impressively to the next level. Miami has to keep trying to fix the line if they hope to rise up in the standings.

14. Vikings: DeMarvin Leal, DL, Texas A&M. Leal is a baller, plain and simple. The hard part is figuring out where he plays in the NFL. Mike Zimmer, or whoever is coaching in Minnesota in 2022, could have a lot of fun figuring that out while trying him anywhere between 3T and 7T.

15. Chiefs: Drake Jackson, EDGE, USC. Another player who is improving his stock by improving his production and all-around game in 2021, Jackson is a nice fit for a Chiefs defense that doesn’t really do anything well on a consistent basis.

16. Patriots: Devin Lloyd, LB, Utah. If ever there was a prototypical Patriots defender, it’s Lloyd. He can play any LB spot and has a high floor at every skill required at any of the spots. His coverage range and ability extend a lot farther than most college LBs.

17. Broncos: Sam Howell, QB, North Carolina . While he hasn’t lived up to the preseason No. 1 overall hype, Howell has quietly performed well at a lot of things the NFL wants in quarterbacks. He’s pinpoint accurate on timing throws, has a quick release and he can run. It feels like the Broncos have to do something at QB.

18. Browns: Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas . Burks size, physicality and ability to create after the catch are exactly what the Browns offense needs. Remember–there’s a very good chance both Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry are playing somewhere else in 2022. Huge need for Cleveland, potentially.

19. Panthers: Nicholas Petit-Frere, OT, Ohio State . The one-time top OL recruit in the nation has finally grown into the extra weight he needed to pack on. The technical refinement in 2021 after switching to left tackle has been impressive. I still think he’s an NFL right tackle, where he started at Ohio State. The OL-needy Panthers can use him on either side.

20. Chargers: Jordan Davis, DT, Georgia . Davis is the master of the dirty work inside, a fantastic facilitator for EDGE rushers and off-ball linebackers. But he can also make some plays on his own. The Chargers can plug him in right away and fill in the LB hole behind him later.

21. Steelers: Desmond Ridder, QB, Cincinnati . Tough projection because Ridder is not a sure-fire first rounder and the Steelers’ tepid efforts at replacing Ben Roethliseberger leave their intentions difficult to read. Ridder certainly makes sense with his ability to create big plays.

22. Bengals: Kaiir Elam, CB, Florida . Elam brings size and athleticism straight out of central casting. His ability to remain in-phase in various coverages is an impressive attribute that should intrigue a Bengals defense that will need at least one new starting CB in 2022.

23. Saints: Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State . It seems like every year the Saints are in the market for an impact WR. In this scenario, they pull the trigger on Wilson and his ability to win both before and after the catch, making him a dynamic weapon that can line up all over the formation.

24. Buccaneers: Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa . Every year there’s an FCS-level standout who gets first-round acclaim. This year it’s Penning, a tehcnically proficient guy capable of stepping in at either tackle spot as a reserve in 2022 and growing into something bigger and better beyond for the Bucs, who are a tough team to shop for.

25. Bills: Myjai Sanders, EDGE, Cincinnati . The Bills aren’t an easy projection with so many key spots locked up already. Adding Sanders builds depth at the pass rush spot and also help in the run defense. He might be the best-in-class and stacking and shedding OTs in the run game.

26. Raiders: Trent McDuffie, CB, Washington . One of the best open-field tacklers and pursuit players in the draft, McDuffie is a capable playmaker in off-man or the Cover-3 zone that Las Vegas uses extensively. He’s got some of the most consistent performance tape of any CB to hit the league in a few draft cycles.

27. Cowboys: Adam Anderson, EDGE, Georgia. There’s something mighty appealing about adding a player with Anderson’s dynamic burst and cornering ability to the Cowboys defensive front that I can’t resist projecting it. Probably higher than he actually gets drafted (I see more 35-50 overall range) but he’s an impact player vs. the pass right away.

28. Packers: Drake London, WR, USC . It’s difficult to project London after his season-ending leg injury. Prior to that, it wasn’t unusual to see him as a top-15 prospect. As long as the medicals clear, the Packers would get the much-needed jump-ball winner who can also win with finesse routes.

29. Ravens: Tyler Linderbaum, C, Iowa . The consensus top center, Linderbaum is exceptional at blocking in space and hitting just the right angle. Sure sounds like a good fit for a run-first offense and a mobile QB like Lamar Jackson.

30. Lions (from Rams): Jaquan Brisker, S, Penn State . Detroit’s painfully most glaring defensive need is a competent, do-it-all safety that can create an occasional takeaway. Brisker is a lot better than that base shell description. Took me less than 5 seconds to make this projection the way the board fell here.

31. Titans: Nakobe Dean, LB, Georgia. A sideline-to-sideline off-ball backer who can blitz and handle short-area coverage responsibility is a perfect fit for Tennessee’s defense. Dean has proven to be that guy in a stellar 2021 campaign playing behind a great DL for the Bulldogs. He could benefit from the immediate success of the very similar Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah with the Browns and come off much earlier that 31st.

32. Cardinals: Roger McCreary, CB, Auburn . McCreary has played his way into first-round consideration with an impressive display of press coverage and ball skills. The Cardinals land the best player available at a skill position where no team has enough depth.

Second Round

1. Lions: Jahan Dotson, WR, Penn State

2. Dolphins: Kenneth Walker, RB, Michigan State

3. Texans: Martin Emerson, CB, Mississippi State

4. Jaguars: Ikem Ekwonu, IOL, North Carolina State

5. Football Team: Daxton Hill, S, Michigan

6. Giants: Kenny Pickett, QB, Pittsburgh

7. Jets: David Bell, WR, Purdue

8. Colts: Jermaine Johnson, EDGE, Florida State

9. Seahawks: Kingsley Enagbare, EDGE, South Carolina

10. Bears: Sean Rhyan, OT, UCLA

11. Eagles: Jameson Williams, WR, Alabama

12. 49ers: Noah Daniels, CB, TCU

13. Vikings: Jalen Catalon, S, Arkansas

14. Chiefs: Christian Harris, LB, Alabama

15. Falcons: Isaiah Spiller, RB, Texas A&M

16. Broncos: Cameron Thomas, DE, San Diego State

17. Browns: Tyler Davis, DT, Clemson

18. Patriots: Erik Ezukanma, WR, Texas Tech

19. Jets (from Panthers): Travon Walker, DE, Georgia

20. Steelers: Verone McKinley, S, Oregon

21. Chargers: Arnold Ebiketie, EDGE, Penn State

22. Bengals: Demarvion Overshown, LB, Texas

23. Saints: Carson Strong, QB, Nevada

24. Buccaneers: Perrion Winfrey, DT, Oklahoma

25. Raiders: Zion Johnson, OG, Boston College

26. Bills: Darian Kinnard, OL, Kentucky

27. Cowboys: Jalen Wydermyer, TE, Texas A&M

28. Packers: Bryan Cook, S, Cincinnati

29. Ravens: Isaiah Likely, TE, Coastal Carolina

30. Broncos (from Rams): Isaiah Foskey, EDGE, Notre Dame

31. Falcons (from Titans): Thayer Munford, OT, Ohio State

32. Cardinals: Bernhard Raimann, OT, Central Michigan

Bonus pick at 65. Lions: Romeo Doubs, WR, Nevada

I’d lose my shit if we went Dotson over David Bell.

2 Likes

I’d also prefer Catalon over Brisker even with Catalon’s shoulder injury.

Is it fair to mention Bosa and Watt with the edge rushers he did?

Players are just all over the boards on these mocks. Still early so I guess that is to be expected.

Here is what I feel sure about:

Jordan Davis is that type of player that will fall because a bad team will over analyze him and start talking about position vs value with his size. And he’ll fall to a playoff team, or borderline playoff team and get drafted. Then everybody will talk about how these teams draft so smart and that is why they are always in the playoffs.

Same with Ikem Ekwonu although I think he gets into the first round.

The other random thought I’ve had lately is how crazy would it be if we drafted a tackle, then turned around and traded Decker? Like would it be that bad if we took an Evan Neal higher or Nicholas Petit-Frere lower and then recovered a late 1st or 2nd for Decker?

Do you not like Dotson or just love Bell?

I would do the same if we chose Brisker over Dean. I like Brisker (I personally prefer him over Catalon), but I don’t think he’s in the same stratosphere as Dean.

It’s early and depends on the testing, but I think he’ll go top ten. He has some special, special qualities.

Decker is a legitimate top 10 LT who just turned 28. Considering those guys can play into their early to mid 30’s with little dropoff, it doesn’t make sense to move on. Especially when the draft is a crap shoot. It is not a bad thing to have two very good tackles on the roster. Barring a crazy offer from someone (top 10 pick) I wouldn’t even entertain it.

Do you think we drafted Sewell top 10 to play him at RT then? Or do you think the plan was to take a top ten LT and make him a RT? They had to have a plan, right? It seems to me they simply drafted Sewell because they liked the kid and figured they could sort it all out later. But I don’t know if its that simple.

I will add: one of the things still left to be interested in this season is how Goff does with both tackles playing…and the run game.

I agree with that as well. I’d prefer Dean over both but I was stickin to the positions. I think Dean goes higher than that if he runs well.

He’s a blast to watch in the run game. I prefer him to Green but both are outstanding. Between those two and Linderbaum it’s quite the year for high end, impactful IOL.

I think they believed Sewell could make that transition. IMO the whole LT is so much more important then RT is mostly BS. That may have been the case 20 years ago when the RE was the best pass rusher and the LE was the run stuffer, but that hasnt been the case for a long time. The only reason LT’s typically are of higher importance is most QB’s are right handed. I would argue that if your QB is left handed then the RT is of greater importance.

All in all I think it makes more sense to keep the established vet at LT as Sewell is young enough to grow into the RT role.

Sometimes its tough to evaluate UGA because they have so many good players. Dean is good but how much of it is being able to roam freely behind two outstanding DTs?

Yeah great year for it, I have Ekwonu ahead of both those guys personally but would have them at the top any other year. It’s easy to love Linderbaum but I do think he needs to go to the right team.

Right but you could have said the same about Ray Lewis. The most impactful LBs are almost always protected by good interior line play. It just goes unsung a lot.

I’ve seen this argument made and it has some merit. But I also think if you asked either one of these guys they want to play LT.

I think a trade could make some sense if they were really sold on a tackle prospect available to them. As you get a rookie contract, trade out of Decker’s contract and get yourself younger by like five years at the position. That puts you in the perfect spot to make a run starting 2024. OTOH…its risky business as a bird in hand is worth more than two in the bush.

I immediately anticipated your reply when seeing that part of his mock. He didn’t even debate it, rather he didn’t have to think about it for more than 5 seconds.

Yeah, I read that. He’s right about us needing desperate help at S for sure, but we need help everywhere and should just be taking the best players. I’d be fine with Brisker at the 1st pick of the 2nd round (and I bet he would have fallen there), though personally I would have taken Brandon Joseph instead, who for some reason isn’t even in this mock, which is patently absurd.

1 Like

I’m watching MNF and this former speedy LB from UGA seems to be alright. If Dean is anythimg close to Roquan… sign me up.