Dead does an incredible job (Phunny too) of keeping all up to date on our cap situation… this article outlines it pretty well, and the OTC link shows the 47 we currently have counting toward our top 51, and what their 23’ cap figures would be to keep vs to cut….
- Sadly one we dig our draft class we have just about ZERO available funds…. How can that be? Well- we are scheduled to play Brockers, Romeo, Big V, C Harris, and T Walker have a current cumulative 2023 cap bit of 60MM- yup those 5 are scheduled to eat up 28% of our cal….
A) we create zero dollars by cutting Walker, and reports are bud recovery is going well, so it would make more sense to ride out, or possibly restructure him a bit, but we aren’t cutting him
B) by keeping Big V and C Harris- we carry this decision into next year into 2024- and would once again have 5.5M in dead cap hits from them…
C) Brockers is a slam dunk to create 10M for this year…
D) Romeo is the tough one…. We really need DC and AG to be vocal about where he is as an impact player at this point post recovery…. He either costs us 14.5M to keep for 2023, or we eat 7M to cut him.
E) Cabinda is an easy 2M to save….
—-So let’s assume we cut Brockers, C Harris, Big V, and Cabinda and keep Romeo (at least initially)
That would give us 22.5M after signing our draft class…. And we’d be at our 51…. So by signing 7 total players with the available cap space, the bottom 7 figures we are counting would “fall off the cap calculation” and create another 6.5M… AL IN 29MM
- Re-sign: Swaggy, Buggs, Commish, and 2 Brad Holmes specials (Elliott, Reynolds, Commish, C Harris, AA)…. All these guys we are considering resigning are guys Holmes found at the “dollar store.” In order to keep digging out of this, he has to find 2-3 low end starters/rotational players at the dollar store again….
Swaggy 3 yrs 12.5M w 7M guaranteed (basically a 2 year deal with a vanity year… maybe he Frank Gores?
-Commish 4 yrs 24M w 8M guarantees… he can 3-4 5T, UT, and BDE so his versatility is key…
-Buggs- a cheap DT 3/4 that is improving. 2 yrs 5.5M- a nice raise over 900K last year.
total of the 3: $9.75MM in 2023 hits…
- Extend Jonah Jackson and K Raymond. Raymond is a Detroit Lion, like Swaggy, and his PR ability, his play as a WR4/5 that can directly backup Jamo- it gives us 3 WRs under contract through 2024, and thus one less hole in 24’…ASB will want a big deal next offseason, and Reynolds will likely be gone- I would offer….
- J Jackson- 4 years and 46M extension… it’s a hometown discount to some extent, but it also insured against injury for him.
- K Raymond- add 1 year and 3.75M guaranteed for 2024 if he wants it…
—— after all this we need about 4 more players and a successful draft haul, and we should be in great shape for 2024…. Depending on “what we deals we find while free agent shopping, we can still free up the 7.5M by cutting or trading Romeo…
A) I’m likely cutting or trading Romeo for a 5-6th as I’d like to try and get the draft asset, get his 3.5M off books for next year too, and I’d love to use his cap space to bring back Chark and complete the offense for 2-3 more years.
B) Chark- 4 years 50M with 16M guaranteed and 18M in total hits in 2023 and 2024…. If he balls out he’s worth it while Jamo is still cheap… Reynolds is gone saving us 4M next year at WR, and the 1 yr extension of Raymond keeps our top 4 intact til after 2024…. When ASB gets extended, his 2025 year will still be on the cheaper side (see all big WR deals), so we could potentially keep Chark through 3 more years on this deal and likely pay about 33M but only if he earns it.
C) by singing Chark, extending Jackson and Raymond, and locking up Swaggy, we are a RG, OL depth, a RB, and a backup QB from a nice 2-3 year run on offense.
D) with Chark getting Romes 2023 cap space, we will have 20M to sign 3-4 guys….
E) GO BIG- Chauncey Gardner-Johnson for 5 years and 65M…. Cam Sutton 4 years 38am…… Drew Lock- 2 yrs 4.5M
I’d rather have a fierce, strong, young, fast, cheap DL… and opportunistic, veteran, savvy defensive backfield to pair with a top offense….
I think we end up J Carter or T Wilson…. There is zero chance a DT with 3 sacks goes #1 overall…. I expect Anderson to reclaim his spot, or a QB trade up.
Gonzalez, Witherspoon, Branch
John Michael Schmitz - RG/C
Tuli Tuipulotu or Mazi Smith
Ji Ayir Brown or Garret Williams
5th- T Spears RB
6th- DTR - QB