Monarrez: Forget the loss: These Detroit Lions have playoff potential despite Bills' win

Excerpt:

What does this performance say about the Lions’ potential this season?

It says one thing very clearly: They have realistic playoff potential. I hate even typing that because the math doesn’t work in their favor as they reached seven losses with six games left. But you can’t ignore what the Lions (4-7) did against a potential top seed in the AFC. They played complementary football in all three phases. It wasn’t perfect, but it was good enough on the ground, in the air, on defense and on special teams to stake the Lions to a 22-19 lead with 2:39 left in the game. I don’t think the Lions will make the playoffs, because their 1-6 start doomed them and they would need too much help from teams ahead of them to grab a wild-card spot, but they should win another game or two no one expects and at least make their final games of the season meaningful.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/columnists/carlos-monarrez/2022/11/24/detroit-lions-have-playoff-potential-even-after-loss-to-buffalo-bills/69675780007/

4 Likes

The Lion’s are actually fun to watch again after that stretch to start the season. Coach Meat Head still going to cost them crucial games with time management. But good on him for having the team playing decent football

4 Likes

Being a Lion’s fan, I have an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustains me through temporary periods of joy.

5 Likes

Summed up my thoughts exactly

1 Like

The Lions aint bad…we look much improved, but this is a 7 win football team, maybe 8 if everything goes perfectly. All the playoff talk is a bit much IMO, next year playoffs or bust.

9 Likes

Carlos says something positive about the Lions?

Animated GIF

3 Likes

Aaron avoided saying it last Sunday, but Gumby Goff will say it today:

R-E-L-A-X. It will take 6 in a row and you’d have to bet against it. But you know it could happen. If they don’t run the table, it won’t be for lack of effort.

You’d be committed for saying that 4 weeks ago.

1 Like

view point GIF

I think it’s possible they win out especially if they get back some guys from injury.

1 Like

Okuda, williams, okwara x2, paschal, harris, brown, jackson… okuda would have been nice to have today… but regardless of where this year ends up, to be showing tangible growth/progress this year with 2 first, 2 seconds, and a third plus a little free agent cash. There is no reason this team shouldnt make the playoffs next season.

5 Likes

Dont depend on Paschal, he’s got SOL injured bust 2nd rd pick written all over him…if he pans out, fuckin awesome, but depending on him being a piece for the future is like depending on Lions 2nd picks to be part of the future…it doesnt happen.

1 Like

I get that you are unhappy with the loss, as am i, but paschal played well when he was in and the injury wasnt an ongoing thing it was a separate injury to what he previously missed time for. But if you end up being right and he is another failed 2nd round pick, well what else is new, but to call that shot right now because you are irritated is much much more sol fan than anything the team did on the field today.

3 Likes

Somebody needs to get to Carlos and make sure he isn’t tied up in his basement while someone else writes his stuff. At least with Valenti we at least know it’s his voice with all his positivity this season.

1 Like

JAMOSS!

I’ve enjoyed his articles this season, has been pretty even keeled and fair.

2 Likes

Lol lets just see them not have a let down game against Jacksonville. A win against Jacksonville would be a nice bounce back.

3 Likes

You’re absolutely right. First things first. There are no guaranteed wins.

A loss is not out of the question. But it’s hard for me to imagine a letdown game—a game where the team doesn’t give full effort—happening with Danimal at the helm.

1 Like

At least we get 10 days to get healthy before Jacksonville.

2 Likes

Haha the way the season has gone it’s hopefully not ten days to get more injured!

1 Like

Not just a win though, let’s see an absolute best down.

2 Likes