More Malik Willis QB School videos

Why trade for Goff in the first place if that was your goal? There were better QB options in last years draft. We could have took one of them and been a year farther ahead in developing. It makes no sense to do it now.

If Holmes plan was to surround Goff with no talent and select a QB in 2022 and then get rid of Goff …… well I would lose a lot of faith in our FO if that was the plan because that’s a bad plan.

I just don’t think these guys are that bad at their jobs. I believe Goff was the plan through 2023 at the bare minimum.

2 Likes

Let’s not forget all those who wanted Freeman too.

Don’t you recall all the threads by those claiming Freeman and Sanchez were better QB’s and the Lions made a horrible pick.

Lions fans have a problem with down grading their starting QB and thinking the grass is greener elsewhere.

Those same posters are doing it again now.

We have a solid QB in Goff. Yet so many Lions fans can’t get rid of him fast enough.

3 Likes

By far my biggest fear is not having a QB (like half the league). Goff is gonna be ranked around 12-15, this year. Juuuust good enough to where you have a massive controversy. He is what/who he is. It is Hard AF to do better, for sure. Can you win a title with Goff? I think the way the rules favor QBs and offense now, as well as the way games are officiated, it makes it even harder.

I want us to win a title, and I’m not sure if you can do it with Goff. I concede, it is extremely difficult to upgrade from him. There are not 15 people on the planet that can play QB better than him.

Think if you were ranked 15 in the world at your job and people said you suck. LOL. WOW.

Goff was in one SB that he probably should not have been in (officiating).
Is he good enough to take us to the promised land?

I want a tougher guy at that position, if at all possible…
If we can do that, or if we can not…GO LIONS!

1 Like

I don’t know if they planned on any of it. Stafford wanted out. You took Goff in return, because it’s smart, and he has value, and he’s better than Boyle. I don’t think Holmes came here with the intent of winning a title with Goff. He left Goff, and he followed him home like a lost puppy. :thinking::wink:

1 Like

I’m not. Someone absolutely could fall in love and not want to play around. IF Holmes/DC/Johnson/Dorsey/Brunell are that team, so be it, I’ll ride with that until we see it fail. I’m sort of talking that range where I think he’ll go if teams don’t get too nutty. I still view the guy as a late first, early second round type prospect, but understand the positional value necessitates throwing that out the window. Only question is how far.

One poster in particular who’s name shall not be mentioned. This place is a lot more zen after he got the boot.

3 Likes

Sanichizer :wink:

The board got sanitized

2 Likes

You don’t take Hamilton or Willis here. Are you willing to pay a safety $13-15mil/year when we don’t have a d-line/pass rush? Are we really taking a project QB at 2 and have him sit for a year? A guy that many have projected as late 1st/early 2nd? No thanks. Take a pass rusher or D-lineman and sit back down. Don’t get cute. Game is won and lost in trenches and we haven’t had a pass rush ranked inside the top 20 in god knows how long…

FWIW Holmes and MCDC didn’t even attend Willis’ pro day.

1 Like

This post times 1,000 Air. I have felt this from day one. The moment Holmes took on Goff’s contract we were tied to him for at least 2-3 years. And I think Holmes loved that and I do too.

If we didn’t want Goff we may have still traded Stafford to the Rams but it could have been for picks only.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree with anything you’re saying, but you can’t predict the future. It doesn’t seem like the Lions plan was to draft anyone, but they coached Willis in the senior bowl (which was also not part of their plan I bet)…. If they feel in love with the kid, and fell about him like they did Sewell last year - take him. You make plans the best you can but if a kid you got to coach and fell in love with falls in your lap you can’t say no because of Jared Goff.

Again not saying I feel that way about Willis, not saying the Lions do either, just that if they take the kid and feel this way I can’t argue. You can’t pass on someone you think can be a franchise QB because “it wasn’t in the original plan.”

2 Likes

Rams probably needed to get closer to net net on payroll in the trade, thus Goff goes. Plus Goff was a guy the FO knew well and felt could.trust. To see him go off the rails the first 10 games may have shaken them enough to consider having Plan B in the building this year

1 Like

He won’t see $13 mil until his 4th year.

I don’t think this means much. They coached him in the Senior Bowl, no need for them to go watch him throw a few balls in shorts.

1 Like

By acting uninterested, it shows they are very interested.

1 Like

Agreed. They are trying to prevent a trade in front of us. :thinking:

Unless they aren’t.

1 Like

Let’s look at 2021 snap counts because they add something to the story:

OT Matt Nelson – 675 snaps-- 61.25%
OT Will Holden – 71 snaps – 6.44%

That’s almost 68% of the snaps by someone other than the starters the Lions drafted in Round 1

G Tommy Kraemer-- 238 snaps – 21.60%

C Evan Brown – 755 snaps – 68.51%
C Ryan McCollum – 101 snaps – 9.17%

That’s almost 78% of the offensive snaps by someone other than the Lions All Pro C

The Lions had these guys at WR taking snaps who probably won’t be with the team in 2022:

Trinity Benson -252 snaps – 25.32%
KhaDarel Hodge–246 snap – 22.32%
Tom Kennedy–149 snaps – 13.52%

That’s a pretty high percentage for practice squad/journeyman free agent level players

Pro Bowl TE Hockeson? Missed the last 5 games of the season. The Lions were playing with undrafted rookie free agents Brock Wright and Shane Zylstra down the stretch.

The uber-conservative OC Anthony Lynn clearly hampered the offense.

Did Jared Goff get a fair shot in 2021 to show what he can do?

Not under the foregoing circumstances.

3 Likes

It’s worth nothing because they got more time with the guy than any other team will even if they go to his pro day and bring him in for a visit. They know absolutely everything they need to know about the guy. No reason to tip your hand if it’s really your desire to take him. It gets more likely that you can trade down some and still get him. If you are salivating all over the guy then other teams may get nutty to move ahead of you.

2 Likes

I agree that the oline would have been better with Decker and Ragnow getting more snaps. However, by the oline rankings I have seen for 2021, the oline ranks somewhere between 12-15. While they would have been better, I don’t think the line was some shit show and Goff didn’t stand a chance.

Emmitt Smith wouldn’t have more career rushing yards than Barry if the Cowboys O-line was ranking 12-15 back then.

1 Like