Moseley... available to start training camp?

“Cornerback Emmanuel Moseley, who missed most of last season with a torn ACL, also is expected back around the start of training camp, Campbell indicated.”

According to the freep and Birkett, MCDC communicated that Moseley is expected to be ready for camp and the only player that likely wont be is Reader.

Does this shock anyone? I know we all have been thinking PUP for Moseley but if he is ready does that change how we view the CB battle?

Who’s Moseley?

1 Like

3 Likes

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

1 Like

It does me. I expected his timeline to be similar to last year’s, maybe remaining on PUP right up until after the cut to 53. @DBend144 and I were kind of talking about this in a thread or two yesterday. I’m a bit surprised that by Dan’s comments we’re looking at starting the season with nobody on PUP.

2 Likes

Mose is a vet #1#2, IF he is medically cleared to play/healthy…then in my opinion-he should play. Now full stop. ok, Detroit Lions players’ were trained to do more than one thing OR be able to—play at ‘this’ position or ‘that’ position…here , there, or over there to-right? SO—IF Mosely does come back, our staff has options to start him in maybe spots X , Y, Z. And our staff will fit players where they can do some damage-meaning it might not be CB—that is all on our staff to figure out… we are deep enough to do that now, and not be forced to plug players at ONLY one position…they can sort of move around certain players that cani fit into a role outside their set “normal” position.

3 Likes

There is a crap-ton of overlap. Part of it is the defense wanting to disguise what a player is doing from snap to snap. Part of it is the team wanting some versatility among the players in case of injury.

2 Likes

I LOVE the versatility of the team, especially on defense. It adds depth and opens the playbook WIDE open

1 Like

huge if true

hopefully his leg doesn’t fall off in the first game

3 Likes

Assuming a mostly healthy secondary this year, the competition for playing time will be fierce. It’ll be really interesting to see what they do with Carlton Davis after giving up pick 73 to get him. Was that a one year rental? Because his deal is up after this season. Probably justifiable in order to take a big swing at a possible Super Bowl. He will be very expensive to resign. But with all the young depth and cut throat competition, perhaps they’ll have the luxury of being able to roll without the massive investment required to keep him.

2 Likes

how much should it cost to keep a worthwhile vet?

Moseley hasn’t played competitive football in a long time. He needs to MAKE this roster first. If he is healthy and ready to roll he needs to play well in camp. 4 CBs are locks:
Davis, Arnold, Amik Robertson and Ennis Rakestraw.

After that the battle is on. I don’t think Moseley will keep Arnold on the bench. Amik and Ennis are likely nickel and dime options as well as depth guys. Moseley will likely not play special teams. Best bet is he gets through camp, shows enough to make the club but doesn’t dress on Sundays until injuries hit. Let him rep in practice and heal.

He is s as great #5 CB option as long as he takes the job with actual play and not history.

2 Likes

Remember, last year he suffered a set back working out away from the facility… I remember some people claiming MCDC was pissed about it.

3 Likes

2 Likes

They were expecting him back for camp last year but he had a setback that cost him an extra 6-8 weeks.

This guy?

IMG_0471

1 Like

His athleticism is just what you want. Sticky in coverage which translates to his tackling ability. A sure-handed tackler like him was sorely missed in SanFran.

I pray he gets some retribution when we play them again.

Moseley doesnt allow the big play and is a lock down corner in the redzone.
Career statically he IS the lions best CB.

1 Moseley.
2 Davis
3 Robertson

the rookies are locks for the roster. But by no means will they start baring injuries. Unless your Sauce Gardner, rookie CB to rarely start season 1 let alone game 1.

If hes 100% healthy to start camp, hell have plenty of time to be game ready by game 1.
Remember last year he was ready to start camp but had a set back with his recovery in late July. Forcing him to miss an extra 6+ weeks,

Hes a VERY good corner and the lions need him to start so the rookies dont have to be thrown into the fire.

And miss me with Robertson, hes on par with Sutton and Jacobs. Maybe a half notch up. Thats not saying much

1 Like

Mosely has TWO YEARS of rust to knock off, not 2 Seasons, but 2 Years.

I think he will see snaps, but Cover Zero and Davis win the Outside jobs.

The trickier question is about what Branch will be doing. NB? Cover Safety? Run down edge setti g thu.ler? Sneaky blitzer?

Answer is YES!

3 Likes

Pretty sure Mosely will start camp on PUP list but be able to work his way off quickly.
Maybe no more than a few days.
I’m sure training staff will be extra careful with him considering his history.
It would be nice if Lions could make it through camp healthy.
Goff, ARSB, LaPorta, Hutch, Penei, Ragnow, Decker, Alim, and Reader should be placed in buble wrap with instructions to do not open until September.
They are not replacable on this roster.
I would include Jamo but he needs the work.

2 Likes