Most surprising player?

fixed

2 Likes

Patterson, I always have a bad feeling about our kicker.
He’s doing well so far, not that he’s deciding games for now, but he’s reliable for now.

1 Like

He is … at least in football terms.

1 Like

Got to be our second round guys — Branch & LaPorta
Branch playing at DROY level
LaPorta — OROY level

Lions 2nd round curse is history

2 Likes

I had said most of the preseason/OTA that Branch wouldn’t start unless injury and that his time would be next year. Major ignorance on my part, kid has been one of the best players on the defense.

1 Like

Has he had a 45+ attempt yet?

1 Like

38 the longest, but not a single miss,
infallible for now
:grinning:

1 Like

He’s 13-13 on XP, which currently puts him 2d in the NFL. Only Jason Sanders from the Dolphins has more (which isn’t surprising given that he kicked so many against the Broncos).

Quite frankly, I like it when Patterson kicks lots of XPs instead of FGs.

4 Likes

Reynolds did not bounce around the league. He was drafted bu LA and played out his rookie contract. He signed to Detroit as a free agent. If that’s your definition as ‘bouncing’ then 75% of the players just bounce around the league.

1 Like

Pretty sure Reynolds was in TN and signed with Detroit after they let him go, think it was in middle of the season iirc.

2 Likes

Oh yeah. Forgot about that. Easy to do as they didn’t play him too much

1 Like

Barnes - playing consistently well and has found a role
Anzalone - showing up making big plays
Onwuzurike - just the fact that he’s playing
Branch - absurd start to his career
LaPorta - absurd start to his career

2 Likes

Right. Except I’m not surprised anymore. Like, his first 3 games were eye-opening and now you just accept that we have struck gold.

2 Likes

In a few more weeks Iffy might make this list. He’s been out there and I don’t recall hearing his name too much which is usually good for a DB.

2 Likes

Good call.

We go for it so often on 4th that I am not so sure how significant kicks beyond the 45 compare to others. We will of course need game winners, but this is an aggressive play calling team.

I concur with the Reynolds and Anzalone (wow, how good has he been) picks.
Interesting stat about Reynolds. All 12 of his catches this year have been for TDs or 1st downs. He might not have a high volume of catches but all his catches are big ones. He had a propensity to make the key catch last year too.

Barnes too but I had a feeling that he’d have a good year after a strong preseason. There’s a reason why Campbell hasn’t gotten big minutes yet, the guys ahead of him are ballin’ out.

Especially Branch !!

I won’t lie: this look from Benito Jones before the Packers game surprised me.

1 Like

Anzalone was also playing outstanding the second half of last year. First half? Not so much.