Most Underrated Players (Stafford tops the list)

Reminds me of the hell Stafford caught for throwing a worm-burner to a wide open Boldin in the end zone. “A good QB doesn’t miss that throw”, ignoring that he was like 20 for 21 passing at that point.

It’s amazing how “off” every QB is with their deep passes to start a game. Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Brees… All of them. Yet, if Stafford misses an early deep shot it’s proof of his inaccuracies.

2 Likes

…I’m still pissed that we have to battle the refs too, especially against media darlings.

I know this won’t be popular but I think Stafford is probably one of the most overrated players in the NFL.

He gets plenty of recognition for his skills among his peers and the media…but the dude never wins. He didn’t in college and he doesn’t in the NFL.
It’s said that a great qb makes a coach look good, well he’s burned through 4 Head Coaches.
I know he’s played on some bad teams and it’s not all his fault but even when we had good players and teams around him we couldn’t win anything and couldn’t beat good teams.
I think he has all the tools, he’s just not a winner.

This is spot on.

Mahomes is clearly the right player in the right system, but I wonder if he’d be “all that” if he ended up in a crappy situation rather than the best one possible. I’m not sure we’d be thinking of Patrick Mahomes the same way if the Bears had drafted him rather than Biscuit.

Brady, Rodgers, Manning, and Brees all won SB’s and multiple playoff games. Let Stafford win a SB and he will get a free pass on an occasional poor throw as well.

I’m already sensing that Goff is about to start being underrated.
Not joking.

Stafford is much better than he gets credit for.

He was lost in MP’s defense but I have a feeling he will turn the corner under Campbell and Glenn.

In college Tavai played off ball as a stack LBer. Patricia had the kid gain weight and moved him up on the edge. He looked lost, slow and was constantly swallowed up by blockers. Struggling to disengage.

Glenn has him lose weight and is moving him back inside, off ball as a stack LBer where he will have a big DT in front of him eating up blockers.

I’m confident that he will look much improved in this new role.

Walker is another player that MP used poorly. Walker played SS and in the box a lot last season and he struggled heavily. While it did help him rack up some tackle stats it was obvious Walker struggled and was a better player at FS and in coverage. I suspect Glenn will use Walker more in coverage this year where Walkers strengths can shine.

3 Likes

This is the bar, folks.

2 Likes

I guess maybe he may be underrated with the fans, but the Rams just gave up 2 1st round picks and a PB QB for the guy… so how underrated is he with actual NFL people? If Stafford was still in Detroit he probably wouldn’t even be listed in the top 10.

1 Like

Are you counting Bevell as a head coach?

With a lesser team the Super Bowl last year would be a good preview of what he might look like. Undisciplined, tries to be the hero on every play, holds the ball too long, etc.

1 Like

KC dropped 5 passes in that game… in addition to the horrible O-line play. That would definitely fit the description of a “crappy” situation.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/chiefs-receivers-drop-2-of-the-best-passes-of-patrick-mahomes-career-in-stunning-super-bowl-loss-032100476.html

1 Like

KC has one of the most high powered offenses in the NFL. Loaded with weapons but as soon as Mahomes has to face some adversity he struggles and people defend him claiming he was dealt a crappy situation.

Truth is he faced a similar situation that other QB’s face everyday.

Don’t get me wrong …. I think him struggling is a legitimate excuse but why don’t other QB’s get afforded that same excuse?

Is it that Mahomes needs a great situation and a ton of weapons to succeed? Can he win when placed in a bad situation?

My point …… I’d like to see him consistently win with a combination of a poor defense, one legitimate WR, a suspect OL and a suspect run game.

1 Like

Many people look at the Super Bowl as 1 game where Mahomes was missing 2 OTs. In reality… he was missing 3 starters from his O-line.

The KC O-line lost a starting OG (Osemele) for the season 5 snaps into game 5 of 2020.
They lost their best O-lineman (Schwartz) after 8 snaps in week 6.

Mahomes played nearly 10 games in 2020 without 40% of his starting line… and he went 10-0 and averaged 30 points/game.

In 4 of those 10 games… KC failed to rush for 100 yards. Mahomes threw for 350+ in each of those 4 games.

In 2019… Tyreek Hill played only 12 snaps in week 1 before he left with injury. He missed 4 more games.
Hill also sat out week 17 in 2017, which was Mahomes 1st start in NFL. In those 6 games without Hill, Mahomes went 5-1 and averaged 29 points/game.
OLT Eric Fisher also missed 4 of those same games in 2019.

In the 1 game Mahomes lost without Tyreek against the Colts in 2019, Sammy Watkins played 2 snaps before leaving with a pulled hamstring. The Chiefs ran for 36 yards, and 17 were by Mahomes. He had no running game. OLT Fisher was out, and OG Wylie left game injured as well.

In 2019, the Chiefs had 8 different O-linemen play 20% or more of snaps due to injuries to Fisher (out 9 games), Wylie (5), and LDT (2+ most of a 3rd).

The 2019 Colts game was 1 of only 3 games in Mahomes’ career that he failed to score >21 points. Including playoffs, that is 3 out of 52 games.

In 2017, Alex Smith started 15 regular season games and 1 playoff game. The Chiefs failed to score >21 points 5 times in 16 games. It was probably Smith best year… 67% completions, >4000 yards, 26 TDs and 5 INTs. KC was 9th in rushing yards and #1 in yards per carry! Kareem Hunt ran for 1300+ yards at 4.88 ypc. Since then, the Chiefs have been 16th, 23rd, and 16th in rushing yards since Mahomes took over.

In 2016… Chiefs failed to score >21 points in 7 of Smith’s 16 games.

2015… 6 times out of 18 games.
2014… 8 times out of 15 games.

That is remarkable.

Also…

Mahomes has lost only 10 out of 52 starts… with 2 of them being in the playoffs (6-2 playoff record).

In those 10 games, the Chiefs scored 28 or more points 7 times. Most teams like their chances if they score 28 points.

1 Like

Kind of like Goff?

I look at it as a game where he saw what what quite a few NFL starters have to deal with on a weekly basis. And he wasn’t up to the task nor did he adjust properly.

1 Like

It’s got to be Goff, every QB list that has come out this off-season has every rookie drafted in the 1st rd ahead of him.

When I watch that video of all the dropbacks he had… I can’t imagine any QB that would have had a good day when the defense can get immediate pressure with only 3 or 4 rushers… dropping 7-8 in coverage.
https://mobile.twitter.com/PFF/status/1358819429535150082?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1358819429535150082|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.kansascity.com%2Fsports%2Fspt-columns-blogs%2Ffor-petes-sake%2Farticle249093605.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/08/patrick-mahomes-ran-nearly-500-yards-before-throwing/amp/

And… he had to play the game with a significant injury…

https://www.google.com/amp/s/arrowheadaddict.com/2021/02/09/patrick-mahomes-surgery-turf-toe-injury-kc-chiefs/amp/

If I were to criticize anyone from the Chiefs… it would be Andy Reid. He called 12 running plays.

Mahones threw 49 passes, was sacked 3 times.

52-12 pass to run. no balance.

For a team that has crazy speed at WR with Hill and Hardman… they got 1 carry combined.

The Chiefs had only 5 rushing attempts on 5 possessions in the 1st half… and 3 were for 5+ yards… so it isn’t like they were repeatedly stuffed.
The score was 14-6 with 1 minute left in the 1st half.

The 12 carries they did get resulted in 74 yards (6 ypc).

1 Like

Mahommes in the Superbowl was not a normal situation and very few QB’s will ever see something similar.

1 Like

What I saw in the SB was a Bucc’s defense that looked great throughout the playoffs.