Multiple TE sets

While I certainly understand that, a guy wants to play in games, not sit on PS. And generally the team that’s sniffing around practice squads is really needing a player for the field or primary backup at worst. So they’ll be offering money.

Effect = poached.

Cannot hire off IR.

Doesn’t count as a roster spot, either.

I know they can’t practice or play, but can they observe? Watch film? I think watching and learning has benefits. It’s how I saved money at the arcade when I was a kid. Watch others play, then you don’t squander quarters (tokens) learning to play.

1 Like

Getting picked up only gets you 3 weeks at the higher pay rate. Then the team that picked you up can cut you again.

Nothing wrong with IR for some guys. But there are plenty of players that are good to have on the PS as well. Including the ability to be called up on a moments notice. You have to evaluate the player and situation, and not just blindly try to IR everybody.

Same is true for the PS, 3 weeks minimum. 3 weeks on the roster, 80k and a chance to play. 3 weeks on the PS about a third of that and no chance to see the field. Again, I think we don’t try and hide him if he is the #4 TE, because IMO I believe we carry 4 TE’s. If not, well it was a good year for TE’s and I think that most teams that were looking probably already got their guy(s). Injuries can change that but at this point I don’t think that there are very many teams that would be looking.

You can bring in and cut your PS players anytime you want. The minimum is if you get someone from another teams practice squad. Then you owe him 3 active roster game checks.

1 Like

Agree with that. Sometimes it’s not a bad gamble.

In the end, I will say that this was the single largest mistake by this staff last year and I more than felt that way at the time. You let Fells go and cut Ebron and are counting on a bunch of castoffs and Roberts to fill that void? I actually consider Hock to be a knee jerk reaction to that mistake and agree that in the end we will be a renter and not a buyer because his second contract is likely to force the issue. Paying James also illustrates that, a move I also consider to be knee jerk not because of who they got but because of what they paid. It is also why I think they keep Nauta as they need to develop some long term options. It appears that Logan is catching on so that’s one I give them credit for, didn’t overpay and have a guy that turned some heads early on. I certainly hope that we don’t hear about problems going forward at TE because if it hasn’t been fixed then we really screwed up.