My camp thoughts after going to a couple practices

Yes, but did you talk to him?

3 Likes

I tried, but the call was intercepted.

7 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Stayed tuned I’ll do a second write up probably tomorrow night.

I do have some early observations but because I was mainly concentrating on skill positions I’d like another practice where I can watch the trenches and defense much more closely and confirm what I’ve noticed. So tomorrow that’s my goal and I’ll report with my observations as soon as I can.

I think I’ve decided to do two more practice days. I’m probably going to attend one of the last ones before preseason starts. Just to get a stronger feel.

2 Likes

Since DC and Lynn both have a connection to Bill Parcells, I imagine they may share one of his philosophies.

I remember seeing and Parcells talk about the fact that the field becomes condensed in the red zone, and gives the defense more of an advantage since they don’t have to be concerned about getting beat deep.
Since this can make it difficult to score TDs rather than settle for field goals, Parcells liked to take a deep shot at the end zone once the offense had crossed the 50.
He figured it might be as good a chance to score the TD, and an INT was much like punting the ball and backing the opponent up.

3 Likes

I’ve always felt that way too. Throwing bombs to the back of the end zone makes a ton of sense, because the likelihood of a tipped ball going into the arms of a DB goes to nill and that type of thing accounts for a lot of INTs. It’s also great to have a strong running game once you are in the red zone because if you can churn those 4-6 yard runs up the gut, you can get more TD’s than FG’s.

5 Likes

I like that strategy too. The other thing that comes into play is a huge PI penalty.

5 Likes

Sounds like GB’s, MO.

3 Likes

I think they run receiver drills on how to draw PI. I hope we do the same.

1 Like

Well, unless our drills include donning a yellow helmet with a big, douchey “G” on it, I suspect the outcome won’t be quite the same.

3 Likes

you might be on to something there.

1 Like

When DC talked about Duce having an expanded workload that comes with being an Assistant Head Coach, one of the things he mentioned was his giving a report on that week’s officials.

3 Likes

I think most teams do know from experience how to get certain calls What we also know is the same plans to get calls only work for certain teams We have experienced that a lot along with other teams Its not whiney complaint its a fact an it doesn’t help a team when league says sorry are officials missed the call or it was bad call they never adjust the W/L record do they

1 Like

I hope that includes what dirty secrets can be used with the officals early in game to get that late game call. Like who has a gambling problem or a slutty wife

2 Likes

Goff may find that info helpful.
Joking, jooooking, Jokiiiiinnnng. I am thankful we have Goff and think he will do well here. Don’t get your panties in a bunch.
*Additionally…why are you even wearing panties? :wink:

I know, I know…don’t make assumptions.

Biggest thing I’ve noticed is that the vibe of the team is completely different.

For example:

These guys are actually having fun. There is a comradery here I haven’t seen in a long time…maybe ever.

I believe the NFL is full of elite talent on every roster. Every team is picking from the same pool of players year in, year out. Now, of course, there are some superstars that are just on another level, but football is a team sport. To me, the coaching staff and the ability the players have to work as a team is what builds the most success. Not individual stars*.

*QB is insanely important and different than every other position. See Tom Brady, Pat Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers for examples.

Most would disagree with me, especially on this board, but the Lions have had a lot of talent over the last decade. Stafford, Suh, Calvin, Slay, Ansah, Quin, Decker and other above average players. There was always something missing though.

I believe that missing “magic” ingredient was something this team might have so long as Dan Cambpell and this staff are here. Fun. Comradery. Love for the game. Love for each other.

I’ll take a gang of 53 brothers over a team with a few stars any day. I think that’s what the Lions are building and where they are heading.

I’m pumped.

PS - Extend Williams even though he’s only a few months in on his contract. He brings that vibe and it’s contageous.

5 Likes

Radio - curious if that’s your punk or you’re just using the jpg. Fun to see that kind of culture getting around either way.

1 Like

They teach it like this:

Step 1 - Put on Green Bay Packers uniform
Step 2 - Wait for important play in the game
Step 3 - As long as you followed step 1 you are all set

4 Likes

Completely agree. Something is different this time.

United men that have their teammates and coaches backs play for each other and go to war for each other.

2 Likes

Great post, bro -completely agree. The Coach is the most important dude on the team, IMO. If our OC and DC can call a nice game, make no mistake about it, the HC will have them ready to pick a fight every Sunday. Gonna be fun to watch.

Only frustrating because it’s true.

Yup - We’ll be lacin them up in a way that ppl haven’t seen the Lions do it since the 50s. Shit’s about to get real!

4 Likes