My roster predictions heading into cut day on Saturday

Seems they have their eye on numbers that are currently taken by players who might not make the team, and they hope they will be available after cuts. If not, they will probably have to pay for it as is the tradition.

1 Like

From my understanding of the CBA, I always download and read it, If the player activated for game day plays in the game then he will have to clear waivers if the team wants to move him back to the PS. If he is not used during the game then he can be returned to the PS. In other words those players are just insurance for the game.

Now I will say that I am not a lawyer, though I have worked for some in the past, and I have dealt with many different types of business contracts, but it is quite possible that I am misinterpreting the CBA.

here is the wording from the CBA:

In each game of the regular and postseason, a Club may choose to elevate
a maximum of two players from its Practice Squad to its Active/Inactive List without the
player first terminating his Practice Squad Player Contract and executing an NFL Player
Contract.
© If a Practice Squad player is elevated to a Club’s Active/Inactive List, the
terms of the Standard Elevation Addendum will be in effect.
(d) Any elevation of a player from a Club’s Practice Squad to its Active/Inactive List must occur no earlier in the week than the final day for such player personnel
transactions prior to the game for which the player is being elevated, but not later than the
applicable player personnel transaction deadline for that day. Any player who is elevated
to a Club’s Active/Inactive List must be listed on the Club’s game-day Active List or Inactive List, as applicable.
(e) Any player who is elevated to a Club’s Active/Inactive List for a regular
season or postseason game pursuant to this Section 5 shall automatically revert to the
Club’s Practice Squad at 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the first business day following
such game without being subject to waivers.
(f) A Practice Squad player may be elevated to a Club’s Active/Inactive List
for a maximum combination of two regular season or postseason games in the same
League Year. After a Club has elevated a player to its Active/Inactive List for a maximum
combination of two games during the regular season or postseason, any subsequent elevation of the player must be an activation to the Club’s 53-player Active/Inactive List. In
such a case, the player must first terminate his Practice Squad Player Contract and execute
an NFL Player Contract, and the Club must request waivers on that contract, or terminate
the contract if the player is not subject to waivers, before resigning the player to its Practice
Squad. If the Club requests waivers on the player’s NFL Player Contract and that contract
is not claimed by another Club, or if the Club terminates the player’s contract, the player
shall become a free agent and shall be free to sign an NFL Player Contract or a Practice
Squad Player Contract with any Club, including the Club that requested waivers or terminated the contract. If the player’s NFL Player Contract is not claimed, or if the contract is
terminated, and the player subsequently signs a Practice Squad Player Contract with a new
Club, nothing shall preclude the signing Club from elevating the player to its Active/Inactive List up to a maximum combination of two regular season or postseason games,
subject to the rules set forth in this Section 5. If a Practice Squad Player: (i) has been
elevated to a Club’s Active/Inactive List for either one or two games pursuant to this
Subsection 5; and (ii) the Club subsequently requests waivers on or terminates his NFL
Player Contract, or if the Club terminates his Practice Squad Player Contract; and (iii)
thereafter resigns the player to its Practice Squad, the player may not be elevated to that
Club’s Active/Inactive List pursuant to this Section 5 for the remainder of that regular or
postseason.

The 2 bold parts kind of confuse the subject. While one says that they revert the next day at 4 pm EST, the other talks about them being subject to waivers. So you may be right while I may be wrong.

Killebrew had 4th highest ST tackles in the league last year. I’d keep him, bounce Darryl Roberts.

I still think that it doesn’t make much sense to have both Ty Johnson and Huntley on this team. I know the OP doesn’t have both making it, but I’d give the edge to Huntley based on ST value, something that matters for those bubble guys.

You left Coleman off your CB list. He’s not getting cut, right? Someone else gotta go. Prob BeauBen. Center backup does concern me, but I think you can get him on the PS. And they’d been training Stenberg at C, so maybe that’s where they hang their hat.

Otherwise, I think I’m pretty well on board. I’m either way on Blough. Don’t think I care much if they keep 2 or 3 QBs. If they do keep three though, between Strong and Virgin, I’d probably cut Virgin. Strong has too much potential on a D-line that could use depth. I’ve seen him cut on other 53s. Stash Dee and Roberts on the PS. They’ll make it there, and the CB group still has 6 players.

Oops, they ain’t going to cut Coleman, so Mike Ford would be my choice to cut cuz I think Roberts is better on defense. Right now, it looks like TyJo and Huntley are competing for one slot, with the loser going to the PS. Stenberg isn’t NFL ready at Center, so IMHO he ends up on the PS in favor on Beau Ben, who I believe has been the backup to Ragnow. I think Killebrew makes the roster cuz Kearse is suspended for 3 games, but the question is what happens when he comes off the suspension? Might depend on who gets injured in those 1st 3 games, who do they need to replace? If Harris screws up, maybe he’s the one that goes to the PS. If not, maybe Kearse does.

You mean for position versatility standpoint? I was certain that dude was a guard. isn’t he the one that everyone was saying plays so angry?

That’s the kicker. He’s good for 2 games (not consecutive), but the 3rd+ time we go to that well he’ll have to clear waivers.

1 Like

He is a Guard. He proved that in camp. :slight_smile:
Seriously, they were short-handed at Center and he was willing to give it a shot. He’s a Guard, though. No ifs ands or buts about that.

2 Likes

He’s not ready but he doesn’t - knock on wood - have to step in right away. I wouldn’t have confidence that a 4th round pick is gonna clear the waiver wire. Ben probably would.

Yep. I think Kearse steps in the spot of whomever gets injured those first three games.

All said - you gotta wonder when the Lions tire of Bryant’s injury routine. I know this is only his second year, but sheesh. Thats one player’s spot that he’s occupying with perpetual injury.

1 Like

I’m more tempted to think that they were cross-training him rather than merely giving it a shot. -Maybe they were just testing if he had any ability there. But we’re certain he’s going to be a reserve, and we know that the Lions like their reserves to be multi-positional.

2 Likes

But his JR. year was :scream:. I think that’s the type to always look at. Achilles injuries for big backs known for their speed and explosion are certainly a problem though.