My take on drafting a QB

Personally I don’t think there is such a thing as an “NFL ready” rookie QB. Especially with so few college teams running NFL offenses.

58.9% Completion Percentage
3,418 Passing Yards
10 Passing TD’s
17 INT’s
69.6% QBR

That’s Trevor Lawrence, the sure fire #1OA pick QB that was the most NFL ready QB in last years draft. (Allegedly). The reality is even great QB prospects will need an adjustment period in the NFL. You can only hope that he does adjust and you really do not know until they do, or don’t. Or like Stafford, get stuck in a crap organization where fans will say he sucks because he can’t win… until he is clinching a playoff birth on a 12 win team with a game left to play with a real team…

2 Likes

Im a be laughed outta this place when I mock us trading UP to grab Pickett. No better time then 2022 for a new qb. OLine strength, running game looking like it could be good. Safety net TE. It’s time.

1 Like

I won’t laugh you out of this place. If the staff loves a QB, then it would be criminal not to go and get him. I just disagree with you wholeheartedly that any QB in this class is that sort of prospect.

3 Likes

This guy tuirned out to be pretty good too… as a TE. :grinning:

Can we also acknowledge that Russell Wilson would never make it to the 3rd round in the current NFL?

He was drafted 10 years ago… before the NFL rule changes made it almost difficult to tackle a QB without drawing a roughing call… and Russell + Kyler have made NFL people get over the belief that short QBs can’t have success in the NFL.

The prevalence of spread offenses and increased use of shotgun in the NFL has made it easier for spread QBs as well.

And… the rookie “salary cap” was implemented just prior to the year Russell was drafted.
When in doubt… teams are drafting QBs earlier now because it isn’t as much of a financial gamble.
There have been 20 QBs drafted in round 1 over the past 5 drafts.
In the final 5 years (2006-2010) before the rookie wage cap… there were 11 QBs taken in 1st round.
Or… from 2001-2010… there were 26 QBs taken in 1st round for a 10 year period.

2 Likes

Willis is a tough one to project in my opinion.

Small school QB’s are projected high all the time and most good ones go between round 2 and 4.

I really like Willis but he’s small school and he has some areas to work on. I do not think he’s a round 1 lock because he’s a project. Very few QB’s go round two for a reason. Their either good enough to go round one or their a developmental guy.

Could he go round one? …. Sure … but I have a feeling he won’t. Personally I like Strong almost as much as him and most everyone thinks Strong will go round 3.

It only takes one GM to see the potential and take the gamble though. Teams are willing to do that with QB’s so who knows.

2 Likes

I like Purdy and I think he’s more than a game manager. He’s carried that team to victory more than once. But he’s been inconsistent. With the right coaching I think he has starter potential.

Wasn’t talking about QBs, was talking about all positions in the 3rd round.

Tommy Frazier is thought of one of the great leaders in college football
History and yet all of his teammates hated his guts. You win and then you’re considered a leader.

Dak, Cousins, Mahomes, Rogers, Garoppolo, and Brady were all developmental QB’s who started their careers as a back-up until they developed into a started.

1 Like

You can say the same thing for first rounders too.

I look at it this way. Of the 32 passing leaders in 2021 just about 30% of them come from outside of round one.

Mills - 3rd
Brady - 6th
Carr - 2nd
Prescott - 4th
Cousins - 4th
Wilson - 3rd
Garoppolo - 2nd
Heinicki - Undrafted
Hurts - 2nd
Brissett- 3rd

So starting level QB’s can be found outside of round one.

Why is everyone so concerned? We already have a QB2. Just ask @BigNatty

1 Like

Brissett?

Jacoby - He’s 32nd in passing yards this year. Obviously splitting time with Tua and still has more yards than any QB in NO.

QB1, really. It’s interesting they don’t use him to throw more passes.
He could just go out and chuck Norris their ass.

I wasn’t saying that a backup hasn’t ever developed into a starter.

I was responding to people who want to justify throwing away a mid or late round pick on a QB by saying he’d be groomed as a backup. My point is that there are very few backups in the NFL drafted late by the team they’re currently playing for. Developing a late rounder as a backup isn’t a thing.

A team may take a chance on him but a gentlemen’s bet says he isn’t NFL material. He may indeed get drafted and put on a roster but whatever rookie contract he gets will IMO be the end of it. I watched plenty of his games and we are seeing two different things.

I won’t be laughing. I think trading up from 1B makes a ton of sense regardless of it costing positional beans. Pickett isn’t my guy, but I see some good things. If the brain trust, which includes Dorsey, thinks Pickett is the best QB to lead us into the future, then do it. But I would love to do it after the 2OA pick somehow.

1 Like

I have mentioned this a few times…

20 QBs have been drafted in 1st round in past 5 drafts.

It is not a fluke. It isn’t because there have been several groups that rival the 1983 class.

It’s the value of the position, and the salary that comes along with it (veteran vs. rookie contract).

Teams are going to keep drafting QBs high as long as the rookie pay scale remains the same… and having every play available on youtube now makes it easier for the scouts. Sure… an ugly duckling might become a beauty every 5 years or so… but it isn’t a good bet.

If you take the field against the first round you are obviously going to have some level of success, there are roughly seven times as many players to choose from.

Also, I wouldn’t necessarily qualify “being in the top 32” as a measure of success. Finishing 17-32 in fact could be seen as failure, the sort of QB you might want to replace.

Looking at that list, there are arguably 5 QBs their teams want to move on from, one who’s a backup who only makes the top 32 because of the injury-induced musical chairs in New Orleans, one all-time anomaly that will never happen again, and three 2nd rounders, which is hardly mid-round.

The list @Doctor_Love posted earlier about the hit rate of QBs in the 3rd and 4th rounds is as cut and dry as it gets. True, it doesn’t take into account the bust rate of 1st rounders, but the point wasn’t to say taking QBs in the 1st round wasn’t a risk, the point was to say taking mid-round QBs generally doesn’t work out.

3 Likes

Same here.

1 Like