Needing Corners, Holmes explains challenges of finding fits

Man, this makes me think they’re going to be looking at Kendall Fuller in FA pretty thoroughly:

#2 in TACK and #19 in RDEF according to PFF last year for CBs.

2 Likes

what are Brad’s hits and busts at CB while with the Rams?

1 Like

Yeah could be. I’m definitely bumping him and Mitchell both down a little, but not gonna remove them from the board altogether like I might with Wiggins.

Although I liked the kid, we sure don’t need another Okudah miss. Jeff was a very good tackler too.

2 Likes

He’s definitely a FA staple add for us from people on here and nationally. Makes a lot of sense.

It’s interesting too because I remember early in his career people thought he was a bad tackler, so we should keep that in mind as well. Guys can improve if they have the right mentality.

1 Like

Absolutely. Tackling is only part of the grade, Brad was pretty clear about that. They need to at least be able to tackle.

1 Like

I still think Wiggins is pretty damn terrific. But I lean towards finding guys who have extreme strengths especially when those strengths can correct extreme weaknesses. And I think Wiggins might be the most naturally talented cover guy in the draft. Personally I’d tolerate a few additional business decisions per year to vastly upgrade our greatest weakness. Not that I necessarily think Brad feels the same way.

I think Wiggins is getting a little bit of the same treatment as Fashanu. Perceived weaknesses, although with Fashanu I think those are mere slight blemishes, are somehow bleeding over into the perception of the things that they do really well and the current representation is no longer an accurate account of just how strong their strengths are and just how crucial those strengths can be to successful teams.

Yeah and that’s why so many are so high on him, but based on what he said above, that lack of tackling ability is a bigger negative than we thought.

Yeah, totally fair (especially with Fashanu), I think the same thing is happening with Caleb to a degree, so it’s definitely something to watch out for. I just think that in Wiggins is not gonna tick the tackling box that, based on what Brad said, is a must. It’s the baseline for what he wants.

Just don’t piss off Bigfoot *

Yeah, admittedly my complaint is primarily with Fashanu. I just think this is one of the more absurd scenarios I can remember. Basically the knock is that he might be to much like Tunsil or D’Briskashaw. Big freaking whoop. And IMO his upside is significantly higher than either of those two.

1 Like

Truth bomb there

Ooh, higher than Tunsil? That’s something, I think he might have gone 1st overall if not for the bong vid.

I agree based on tape that Fashanu should be top 5, and I really don’t think there’s anything behind all those rumors. But without being in the room, there’s just no way to know. And really no way to know what our FO will think.

Where did Holmes ever say he wanted Witherspoon at 6?
The draft expert guys who have been wrong LITERALLY 95% of the time on who Brad will pick believe their own press and treat what they would do as gospel.

• “Lions are drafting Carter if he falls that far.” Nope.
  • “Lions are picking a DT or CB with the 6th overall due to need.” Nope.
  • “Lions want Devon Witherspoon” We’ll never know.

After the draft those guys literally go “what the F was Brad thinking!?!” Cuz they don’t know what the F Brad is thinking. But they know he wanted Witherspoon?

We do know that Brad traded back and got TWO phenomenal players in Gibbs and LaPorta.

If CB was really his intention, then he could have stood pat and gotten Christian Gonzalez or even traded back and got him. And Gonzalez was literally looking like rookie of the year material (better than 'spoon) 'til he tore his Labrum.

I got nothing against Witherspoon, I just don’t like pundit stuff being treated like truth when these m#$%ers are wrong 10x as often as they’re right.

As an expert, here’s what I know
#1 Brad will get someone with a really cool name
#2 Brad will seek to sign a bald guy
#3 Brad will acquire the most handsome player possible (BLPA…see #2)

Where WOULD he say that after we didn’t get him?

The national pundits and mockers were not the source of the rumors imo. Well a few well-connected ones perhaps (like Albert Greer, see below), but iirc it was more our beat guys and insiders on this very board who forwarded the idea.

Now no one but the blowhards will come out and say we wanted him outright, so it’s definitely more about reading the tea leaves. But that’s literally the only option we have 99% of the time when it comes to the draft.

But Albert Breer has maybe the best connections in the game and here was his take on it:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/05/01/2023-nfl-draft-albert-breer-winners-and-takeaways

I feel very comfortable saying Brad planned on taking Witherspoon personally.

3 Likes

That’s fair enough. I feel equally comfortable saying I don’t think he did. 9 years directing scouting for the Rams, and they picked a CB before the 3rd round exactly 1 time. In 2014, 5’8" Lamarcus Joyner, pick #41 overall.

So, #6 overall looks very rich, especially if he could maybe trade back and get say a Gibbs or a LaPorta and still have room for a Brian Branch at CB in R2.

Interesting, and in 3 years here we haven’t.

He wasn’t the one making those final decisions though.

And if you think he had anything to do with it, maybe he also had something to do with giving two 1sts for Ramsey.

And you could say the same about Seattle, who took him at 5. They hadn’t taken a CB before day 3 since Schneider or Carroll had been there.

But it’s fine, it really is a he said she said thing so I get it. I just thing there’s enough smoke from enough excellent sources to believe it.

1 Like

SeaHags always pimp the shit outta us,.amirite?

1 Like

Good