New CBS mock looks interesting

Waddle after a trade down

I’d be conflicted about whether taking Waddle over Smith is the right choice but otherwise this definitely looks like a good deal to me.

This could set up the exact scenario I want.
RB and OT in the 2nd.

1 Like

That’s a very weak return for that trade

4 Likes

It would be 100% right pick i would prefer a OT

I agree it would be more than that but have to remember many of the Mocks are done by Pats fans or they lean Pats

It’s a horrible return. Honestly feel they’d be there off passing on that trade.

As much as I like the RB class this year I would be really disappointed with a RB in round 2. Swift and Williams will be a good tandem in my opinion. Which RB do you like the most this year?

1 Like

Stay at #7 and take Chase if that is the return. In the very least it’s two seconds to drop back that far in this draft. Since it’s NE, I’d want next years FRP instead of the two seconds.

My thoughts on RB in the 2nd:
The Office No GIF

3 Likes

I think people need to research historical trade returns to determine what is reasonable. The trade chart is a rough estimate re: the value of picks. Obviously, trades have some variability, but for the most part the chart has merit - this is what you can expect. It’s frustrating to see how people overvalue our pick, "we should get a first, 2 2nds, their first next year and Tom Brady for moving down 8 spots. SF gave up #12 and the eqivalent of a 2nd and 2-3rds. The point value is roughly the same. And before anyone asks, the value of trading picks in future years is downgraded a round, so a 1st 2022=2nd 2021, 1st 2023=3rd 2021. Look at the chart, roughly the same.

Now if you don’t want to make a trade, fine, but you also can’t expect unreasonable returns and especially for the 4th or 5th rated player at a position.

I’d take that trade in a heartbeat. The points are right via the NFL trade value chart and we DESPERATELY need extra picks. ANY trade that we can get where the points are right, I’m taking it.

1 Like

There is generally a nice healthy premium when the move up is for a QB though. Going by the trade chart this is an overpay of essentially a sixth rounder worth of value by N.E. so it’s not like we’re getting screwed. Perhaps they could add their compensatory sixth or something thus helping us fill out our day three ledger.

If I knew we’d still get one of the big three WRs then I’m totally fine with it. But 15 would be risky on that front. Though Smith’s stock seems to have dropped some providing a little additional margin of safety.

1 Like

I agree, traditionally trading for a QB could involve a premium, but the premium involved when trading up for the 4th or 5th QB off the board should be minimal (6th round comp).

Underwhelming return. I know what the trade value charts say but If New England desperately wants a QB, they’re paying an extra 1st especially in this draft where the QBs are really coveted and there’s a huge drop off after 5. I’d take a 2nd if it was a team at 12 or so but 15? I want an extra 1st since the Lions would be giving up an elite prospect to move down that far.

Just look at a recent comparable. The Bills gave up two 2nds to move up from 12 to 7. No way in hell am I settling for just a 2nd and future 4th for the drop to 15 from 7. The Lions have ALL the leverage in this situation.

1 Like

If this is the rule we’re going to go by, then I’d want New England’s 1st round pick in 2022 and 1st round pick in 2023.

Like I said knowing that we still get to choose from Waddle or Smith it’s at least a ground rule double if not a home run. Personally I don’t see there being that big of a gap between them and Chase so the extra 2nd makes it worthwhile and allows us to likely have one more young, talented day 1 starter on the cheap. Brad has a lot of experience scouting the second as though it’s his first round (due to the Rams lacking 1st rounders) so I think he’d be confident about the quality of player he can get at 46.

But I would be nervous as we waited to pick 15 as Smith or Waddle would definitely be a very strong preference for me.

In this trade down this is what my first 3 rounds would look like.

1. Smith
    2a. Levi Onwuzurike
    2b. Cox
    3a. Rodarius Williams
    3b. Walter Little

I like Williams because he’s ugly, because of his skillset, and because of where we can get him. Our team needs toughness. I feel like he has a fantastic debt to income ratio (what he would cost vs what he would provide).

1 Like

I’d rather have Smith than Waddle.

1 Like