New OC and Goff Future

In the event Ben Johnson departs in the off-season, does that have any impact on anyone’s mindset on Goff long term?

Fair to say he has flourished with Johnson’s play calling. But do we think he can maintain the success with an average to below average play caller? Do you pass on a young qb that may have a higher ceiling under less ideal circumstances?

So you want to draft a rookie QB to play with this hypothetical shitty OC? Playing QB in Detroit is hard enough, this does not sound like a recipe for success.

7 Likes

If this were the case, why would the Lions hire him?

7 Likes

No
No (but no offense/qb would)
Yes

This is Dan’s offense that the braintrust developed with Goff. The sky won’t fall if Ben leaves.

Remember Dan called the plays after Lynn was fired last year. Not BJ. The last six games last year Goff had a passer rating of 101.8 with 1250 yards, 11 touchdowns and 2 interceptions

8 Likes

So with people dreaming up as many reasons as possible to get rid of Goff…

…we now need to get rid of Goff to jump in front of losing Ben Johnson in the future. Because if Goff keeps playing well his OC is going to get promoted to Head Coach, and that’s why we need to dump Goff.

Pee Wee Herman Listening GIF

13 Likes

Finally, somebody gets it.

3 Likes

The biggest improvement in goff has been mental. That’s not going to change, nor is the style of offense we run. That said, I’ would expect some xropoff in the entire offense if Ben leaves.

also → won’t know until we see it. OL could get BETTER (you heard me right). WRs WILL gt better, as we will have the same group back with MORE cohesion and a fully operational JaMoss

I’m not convinced Ben is leaving

5 Likes

I dont think he is either, man. He’s not there yet, in terms of being prepared to be HC.
Just my initial opinion. du de says he wants to learn under Dan and has followed him here.

1 Like

Fraley to OC

Ben isn’t leaving.

1 Like

A lot of absolute answers when in reality no one KNOWS anything about what’s going to happen, it’s just their belief. Yes, I’m concerned about Goff regressing when BJ leaves. I don’t think we should take any steps to replace Goff until his play drops off though… But I also wouldn’t extend him.

1 Like

While I do think Ben has been very good, I’m reminded of what happened last season when Campbell took over play calling.
These guys do everything as a team. It’s not just BJ. It’s Campbell, Duece, Fraley, Brunell, BJ, and Goff himself.
Minimal upset to make Brunell OC if we lose Johnson.

3 Likes

I have no desire to see Ben Johnson leave. But if he does, I believe it has no impact on where this organization sees Jared Goff.

2 Likes

It makes one wonder how good is Mark Brunell?
I have seen major improvement from JG, he no longer drifts backwards into sacks, he is not throwing into danger as much, and it looks like his play action is better than I have ever seen it.
The QB coach works the QB room everyday, it’s Brunell’s job to teach/coach. I think he’s doing a great job.

3 Likes

The big question is if BJ is a HC, how much does he offer to bring Goff with him?

1 Like

I Hope Please GIF

1 Like

It’s starting to get ridiculous. Goff has played well and so logically we want to get rid of him. I don’t get the logic of some “fans”.

2 Likes

Let’s see

Excelled in HS
Excelled at Cal

First pick in draft - and it wasn’t seen as a reach

• had the measurement skills

Excelled with Rams
Second half of last season played well
With a new team and shifting talent
Second season with Lions he’s playing well

This is Goffs career playing well for a number of coaches - including whatever happened at end of Rams time … which I think included him touching out a playoff win injured …

Perhaps more credit should be given to Goff
For making mark Brunel look good
And helping lift BJs profile too.

This is where $heila’s commitment to win could come into play as she might influence if Lions do actually lose BJ.

1 Like

This is what I keep telling myself. Really, on paper, he’s not ready for all that goes along with being a ‘successful’ head coach. There’s a lot more to it than drawing up a killer offensive game plan, obviously.

The part that concerns me is Tepper and other owners are looking for the next McVay or Kevin O’connell. There are rumors everywhere (according to talking heads) they are convinced that Ben Johnson is that guy.

So I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets interviews. And I guarantee that dude interviews well.

The Ford’s just need to be prepared to do what’s necessary to keep him around and keep this offensive system together for another couple of years. We as fans deserve that, after the roller coaster of garbage-good-then-mostly-garbage we have watched over the years.

1 Like