New WR Marcie Alexander picked up

I think I can answer that.

I believe they feel Goff is salvageable and that they can win with him. They want to give him the opportunity to either prove that or disprove it.

Prior to coming here the Rams hurt his confidence. Goff needs to feel confident in his job security and work on improving into the QB the staff feels he can be.

So their rebuilding his confidence levels.

That’s why they put some backups on the staff that won’t create controversy and help keep the outside pressures off Goff.

No need to challenge Goff just yet.

At least that’s how I think they view it.

That may all change a year from now but I think that’s where we’re at right now.

2 Likes

If you need the likes of Blough and Boyle (no offense, boys) in your QB room to make him feel like he’s not being challenged, then he’s pretty thin-skinned.

1 Like

I understand what Air is saying and I agree… I don’t think it means Goff is thin skinned, it just means they brought him in and are trying to let him establish himself. All of this can change depending how the year goes, but I think at this stage in the rebuild, competition at the QB position is not the plan. Next year, different story. But I like the approach. Lions did the same thing for years with Stafford through multiple regimes. Goff is not the same as Stafford though, and I think if he has a bad year or a mediocre year they address it. But this year I think the focus is on continuing to build the trenches and skill positions

1 Like

Also, if Goff were to get seriously hurt, and knock on wood he doesn’t, tank mode is on for a top QB in next years draft.

And to be honest, most teams are screwed if the starter goes down. Is Wolford taking the Rams to the super bowl or Blaine Gabbert for the Bucs if Stafford or Brady went down. No chance.

Look what happened to Seattle last year when Wilson got injured, they were screwed.

1 Like

Yep exactly. Because I think they are expecting improvement this year but if Goff goes out, that’s kind of still working to their benefit in a way because they once again have no expectations and are just focusing on a top pick.

1 Like

Just pray to baby Jesus, it doesn’t happen.

We deserve a year where we catch some lucky breaks and bounces for once. And staying healthy often requires a ton of luck.

4 Likes

I think it is more likely that the front office and coaches don’t want the media clamoring for a QB change… or even a competition that would create a distraction.

1 Like

I think Goff has proven to be a pretty tough dude. Let’s not forget he had thumb surgery and came back the next week. And with this OL, he’ll have protection.

Assuming all goes well it’s on him this year, which is exactly how it should be and will determine the course next offseason

2 Likes

For sure, Goff has won more playoff games with a broken thumb, than the Lions have the past 30 years.

1 Like

:notes: :notes: :notes: :musical_note: :musical_score:

2 Likes

Lol just an update, still have it in my head… although there could be much worse songs! I liked it it just got overplayed to hell. But that is a late 90s gem!

“hang around…downtown by my house yeah there she was…I smell sex and candy yeah…who’s that casting devious stares in my direction honey surely it is a dream.”

2 Likes

The guitar lick in that song to me is what sticks out the most. It’s a cool lick! And yes, very hooky catchy song.

They had another song on that album that I remember liking, it was nirvana-esque and similar chord progression to come as you are/breed… I think it was called St. Joe or something like that.

I wonder whatever happened to them

I agree with Air and DS. I also think Air was being very generous with “hurt his confidence”. No. They broke him. Coach broke him. Fans broke him. He had a part too with some of his poor play, so that also broke him. He was flat out chewed up and spit out, AND traded away as a bit of salt in the wound.

Brad Holmes said, “Hey, Dan. Look. I know this kid. I know what he can do. But we have to fix him. His head and confidence are residing somewhere out there on the moon. Gotta bring him back. You game?”

Took him a year, and he’s probably still got some work to do on that. But his mental state is clearly different. Being in shape has never been an issue. And he’s now got another year of experience under his belt, dealing with playing for this franchise no less. He’s playing for coaches that actually like him AND give him input on what he does and doesn’t like.

I know there’s a lot of rah-rah out there, but read the reports from last year and this year. Completely different. More command. Sharper play. Heck you could almost hear the gradual change in his interviews from day 1 to now as his time here has progressed over the last 15 or so months.

That’s kind of where I’m at with that.

1 Like

That is a great assessment and yeah I agree.

He knows he has to prove it this year but, the lions have done everything they can to put him in a position to have success

This was the other song I remember by them…

3 Likes

Mission accomplished!

2 Likes

I’m all for that, but does that mean they can’t have a backup that can complete the ball to our team?

1 Like

You’re not going to forgive me for this. :laughing:

1 Like

I agree with this.

And I agree with this.

The two co-exist, but that’s OK.

1 Like