NFL salary cap rising $16 million+ in 2023

Y’all familiar with Carlos Boozer and Cavs FA situation?

They let him out of his deal early and he was supposed to have a handshake deal to stay in Cleveland but he bolted to the Jazz.

1 Like

Houston is a good example. He was waived and re-signed. Two year contract off the practice squad, so it is no longer considered a rookie contract. It is considered a free agent contract.

Wait one more year for ASB to finish his third season and then pay the man. He too will then no longer be considered on a rookie contract.

1 Like

Yup. Front office and ASB can just wink at each other when training camp starts and we’ll see everybody at the table next year.

At first I wondered why that is… but it actually prevents players from holding out for more money if they have massive seasons in their 1st or 2nd year. Kinda protects the team.

Doesn’t he only have a 3 year deal?

4 year rookie deal

1 Like

1st rd is a 4 with a 5th yer option
2/3 are 4 years
4th rounds are 3 years I thought.

Both Barnes and St. Brown signed 4 year deals.

2 Likes

Cool site: Detroit Lions Player Contracts, Salaries, & Transactions | Spotrac

love the knowledge here guys!

thank you for an enjoyable read and insight… now back to taking a nap!

1 Like

Pretty sure that changed with the last CBA. I believe that it is a 4 year minimum regardless of where drafted. Of course the cost for 4th round and later is easy for teams to write off so no concerns if players get cut.

3 Likes

I really hope our FO makes some big moves with the money we have and gets real impact players, but I don’t think that’s what our philosophy is.

This team could easily be in the NFC Championship or even the Super Bowl next year, but I think they’re going to be more patient with their approach. Nothing wrong with that if it gets you a ring.

Teams are smart, they know this is a realistic and valuable tool/method to help manage the cap.

This kind of person has been watching too much Dave Ramsey lol

2 Likes

I like the raised cap. Wish it included a roster change, like say, a couple of more players.

4 Likes

They have that now with new PS rules I just don’t know they keep rules they The ability to bring up PS player so many times.

Posted in the cap thread also article that called this increase an said as much in another post would e close to 20 mill The article said 2024 should be around 240 mil. They have to get the players shares back that they held back cus of the new flu

2 Likes

You don’t even really need more players, just let them all play. Teams have a 53 man roster and then have to declare 7 of them inactive for the game each week. Makes no sense. Let them all play, they are making the same amount of $ whether active or not. 7 more guys means more depth, less reps, and probably less injuries.

4 Likes

Now that just makes too much sense.

3 Likes

I agree, the whole declaring inactives is such an antiquated rule.

If they are on your roster they are eligible to play. What even is/was the point of declaring guys inactive?

1 Like

Yea, take Brockers for example, sure he sucks, but he was on the 53 man roster all season and was inactive for most games. At least let him dress, he could play a handful of snaps and just in case we had an injury he could jump in. Instead he’s in street clothes not eligible to play. I’ll never understand it, especially when they say they care about “player safety”

2 Likes

This means nothing because the cost of FA’s has just gone up. It’s going to cost 15M per year for guys like DJ Chark.

1 Like