No, it does matter that the Lions looked terrible last night

I’ll wait for Patricia to sniff a playoff game before comparing him to the greatest coach who ever lived

On The Marinelli - BB scale, I’ll be happy if Patricia lands in the middle

1 Like

I’m going to agree with everything you said with just a couple of caveats…
There’s more involved in the OL play than a revolving door. We’re projecting the same 5 starters as last year, just at their more natural positions. Even the OL coach is the same. It’s the constants that make this foreseeable to me, not so much the inconsistencies.

So wait, you can say “it’s possible he’s not a very good coach” but I can’t say “it’s possible he’s a very good coach”?

And Marinelli, You’re really going to hang 2006-2008 on him? Considering who our GM was?
I don’t. We did go 7-9 in 2007. And that offense scored more points or equal (346) than our offense has in 4 of the last 10 years.

Maybe if we just had BB we’d have won a playoff game with that team Millen built?

But, you’ll hang losses on Stafford inspite of the hundreds of reasons that have been listed ad nauseum? Because he had CJ, who was injured or playing injured at the end of nearly every season?

So do I get to admonish you for turning this into a Stafford thread? Because I can if you want…

You’re just such a hypocrite. Your line of reasoning always stops at Stafford. Coaches get a pass. GM’s get a pass.

You didn’t answer my question. Do I get to admonish you?

You can do whatever you want. Technically, you did in the last two posts.

I just wanted to be clear, since in the past I’m the one who gets blamed for threads turning into Stafford threads.

This one was all you, buddy.

1 Like

I got this.

Why would you assume I’m saying you ‘can’t’ say Patricia ‘might’ be a good coach’? That’s a pretty innocuous statement. Of course you may make that assertion. But maybe he will be awful. I was addressing a direct comparison to BB - the greatest coach to live…Quite simply, let’s see if Patricia can field a competitive team before making such a comparison

Yes, Marinelli was a terrible coach. While not completely to blame for that season, the team was also disorganized, his attempt at converting to the Tampa-2 was a disaster, the team always looked unready to compete and he put a giant rock in the locker room thinking it would make them play better

Chris%20Farl%3Bey%20Show

2 Likes

Which season? 7-9 in 2007 seems to me to be an overachievment considering the talent we had to work with.

Millen F-d up that D beyond recognition. Nobody, not even Austin, could have made that pile of garbage work.

They tanked 2008. They could have won 2 or 3 games if they hadn’t.

That was largely do to Martz and I know we agree on that.
Give Patricia or Austin that D and we might have had a winning season.

Paris Lenon, Ernie Sims, Boss Bailey were our starting LBs.

Dewayne White and Jared DeVries were our DEs.

The cupboard was bare. You’re not getting a good meal out of that defense.

Let’s recall though that Marinelli insisted we reach for Sims to be the anchor of his Tampa 2. He was going to be our Derrick Brooks

I don’t see how that’s relevant. Even the best drafters are wrong. His idea, a fast big (Sims was same size as Brooks with a better 40 time) LB that can cover might have worked if Sims didn’t constantly overrun his target and not wrap up. It turned out Sims wasn’t Derrick Brooks (or even close). If drafting were that precise, Brady would have gone before the 6th round.

But that seems to me to help my original argument. Sims wasn’t good, so no matter who was coaching, the defense was going to suck.

Yes a crap defense and a crap head coach. Yay lions

If you want to plant your flag on the “Marinelli was actually a good HC” hill I won’t argue you. We are all entitled to an opinion.

But I think you will find yourself pretty alone on that hill

My hill is named “dude never had a chance”, not “actually a good HC”. He could have been crap. But it’s pretty easy to look like crap when your defense is crap and your offense is middling. 2008 was one of the worst defenses in the history of the NFL. You can blame that on Marinelli if you want, but I’m blaming Millen/Mayhew much more. Millen/Mayhew built that team.

OL bad, D bad, and we take offensive skill positions with first 2 picks that we have: Calvin Johnson and Drew Stanton.

I don’t know whether or not to blame the HC for sh-t draft picks. I tend to want to blame the GM since it is his call. If Millen gave him the last word, then you’re right. He was an idiot.