Noah Fant comments on 2021 draft class

He says the same uninformed garbage that I said. LOL

4 Likes

I don’t think anyone will believe it. I truly find it amusing. Time to put more weight in game tape, and less on “measurable,” eh?

I wonder what Tabor would have run this year?!? :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

:joy: for real. What a wonky year for the draft. Hopefully things will be more normalized again just in time for the Lions to have multiple first round picks in consecutive years!

2 Likes

Tabor was one of the rare exceptions who actually ran SLOWER at his pro day. He ran a 4.62 at the combine which already sent off alarm bells. Then he went to his pro day and ran in the 4.7’s!!!

Tabor also had the 2nd lowest vertical jump at the combine that year, pretty much confirming his lack of explosiveness relative to his peers.

2 Likes

If this doesn’t make you want to punch Quinn in the face…

3 Likes

Agree. There are about 150 reasons to punch Quinn in the face. I would put this offense around #5.

4 Likes

A lot of hate for a guy that every loved so much, he was by far the most toted GM for the Lions by there fans. For the first 3 years you couldn’t even question his moves with out being attacked by everyone and told you were not a fan.

3 Likes

Wrong

1 Like

I’m not doubting the skepticism, though I am curious why the 40 times are so often faster at pro days.

Can we eliminate that the course isn’t shorter and that the results are laser-timed? Is it simply surfaces with better traction or surfaces that return energy like a tennis racquet or golf club? Can vertical and broad jumps be trusted? Couldn’t a bouncier surface enhance those results?

There is a multitude of reasons that go into it, and it won’t necessarily be for the same reason across the board. I can give you a few of them right now that has nothing to do with the surface. Have you ever noticed that the 40’s are alot less “formal” at the pro days? At the combine you have a guy standing right there correcting every single thing you are doing wrong lining up and ready to shut you down for the slightest misstep or for not holding your stance for a particular amount of time before taking off. Most pro days aren’t like that. Some try to simulate it, but its not quite as serious. Along those lines you don’t get penalized as much for a slight flinch or hand movement at a pro day. I feel like DeAnthony Thomas (Black Mamba) was a victim of this at the combine. Everyone knows that guy has blazing speed. But he clocked in at 4.60 at the combine. Then he goes to his pro day and some scouts had him as low as 4.34, which is probably more accurate for him. They did a simulcam of Clowney vs Thomas. Clowney had an unofficial time of 4.47 that they adjusted to an official time around 4.53. In the simulcam Thomas clearly beat Clowney, but because Thomas had a little flinch at his start he ended up with a 4.60. At a pro day guys aren’t penalized for some random flinch, they are timed on when they actually start. When you see really fast times at the combine, the guy has to be more than just fast to achieve it. He has to have a really clean start without any false movement setting off the clock early.

The next thing I would like to add is something alot of players talk about. These guys go thru alot more at the combine, and have alot less control over things. You are woken up at the butt crack of dawn (some as early as 3 or 4 am) to do drug testing, then you are in a whirlwind of different things from wonderlic testing to medical testing to tons of interviews and all kinds of other stuff. When these guys run, its certainly not in an ideal set of circumstances by the time they do it. Where as at a pro day the teams and players have more control and can kind of steer the day to make it better for the players to be ready for peak performance.

Those are some basic fundamental differences before you even get into any of the actual details.

3 Likes

Who knows? He hasn’t finished yet.

3 Likes

What forum was this in?

2 Likes

Maybe they are using radar guns at these Pro Days?

“31 (mph) is my new number!!!”

“…that’s humanly impossible!?..”

“BEAT IT!!!”

1 Like

He’d have been so fast, Bob Quinn wouldn’t have had interest in him!

1 Like

Lions fans have short memory’s I guess.

To be honest, the hate for me didn’t start until after year two.

There was some that starting to question his moves after year 2, but there was alot of diehard fans that you couldn’t even question the guy without getting bashed. Hell this time last year there was still a large group that said these guys just got there guys in place and you were not a fan for not thinking so.

1 Like

Bouncier shoes, too. I think this is some of it. Nike Says Its $250 Running Shoes Will Make You Run Much Faster. What if That’s Actually True? - The New York Times

Edit: this is more of a reason for this year vs. last few years, not pro days vs combine. Of course the two are inextricable this year.

That’s really the earliest logical time for it to start.

2 Likes