Not Aqib Talib again

I hope he is better today

2 Likes

Our last win was with Aqib Talib and Gus. We’ll be fine.

2 Likes

Oof……that’s a rough good luck charm to have lol

2 Likes

SOL ?

Just our luck, eh?

As if watching the lions this season hasn’t been rough enough. :rofl:

2 Likes

I think he’s better than some of the color commentator guys.

1 Like

I think his voice is hilarious.
I think his hairstyle is fantastic.
I think he’s honest and unbiased in his assessment.

4 Likes

:+1: :+1:

2 Likes

It has been pretty much the best comedy show on tonight, so it’s appropriate

1 Like

I liked Aqib.

2 Likes

He was talking up the lions all day, and also knew our rosters our strengths and weaknesses… if he brings that to every game he announces I’m all for it!

Maybe a bit rough around the edges but I enjoyed his insight and analysis, and especially that he actually respects the teams and the players

4 Likes

Just want to add, as opposed to other broadcasters who have no idea about anything Lions, butcher guys names, and then proceed to just talk up the other team.

CBS in my opinion has much better and professional announcers, Fox broadcasts are iffy… I like Chris Myers but others I’ve heard are so bad it’s embarrassing.

I will always take honesty, knowing what you’re talking about and good insight and analysis over a bunch of hot takes and ignorance of the team you are covering…

I remember one game where the announcers were laughing about how they couldn’t pronounce one of the Lions players names because it was an African last name… if you’re a pro you do research and ask so you don’t sound like a jerk during the broadcast. And also African names are pretty easy to pronounce because they are usually very phonetic, so I find that completely inexcusable. Take the time to learn who you are covering.

Talib knows his stuff and I hope we get to hear more of him.

2 Likes

…and his voice makes everything funny too. LOVE his hair. I’m not bothered by him. Voice takes a little getting used to. He seems like a good dude, and HONEST. That’s big w/me

1 Like

Good post!

I LOVE the fact that Aqib isn’t like the other craptastic color guys that have underwear that rides up way too tight.

He does take the job seriously… I saw him on NFL Network talking about how he prepares for the games… and I really like some of his insights.

1 Like

Thank you both @Phunnypharm and @BigNatty !

I always think of hockey announcers who have to pronounce really weird European names, with lots of weird things involved in pronunciation, and they all do it without any hesitation… anyone broadcasting as a professional should always show respect to the players and teams they are covering and that starts with pronouncing names correctly… just a pet peeve of mine.

And yes @Phunnypharm i agree, he comes from a very objective approach and doesn’t favor anyone. He knows the teams and knows where they’re at and provides his insight. Can’t say the same for a lot of other commentators. Or they always revert back to just praising the “favored” team and occasionally have a “oh wow that was a good play the lions did there, I’m sure [other team] will adjust… and how about that Aaron Rodgers guy?”

Anyway, it always comes back to wins but I appreciate Talib for being on the national platform and doing things differently than all the other guys seem to be doing.

1 Like

Exactly. Do your homework. If you struggle with a pronunciation, ask someone. This occurs far too often by those who consider themselves professional, but aren’t, for this very reason

2 Likes

And oh my goodness I’m listening to Chris collinsworth now and about to put on mute because he’s just awful. Yeah he might have the “commentator” role down but he provides zero insight and always comes back to how amazing Aaron Rodgers is…

He just sucks. I’d say Talib is already better than him.

2 Likes

It has always amazed me how horribly unprepared Aikman is for many of his games… and nobody calls him out on it.

1 Like

He just blamed Patrick Peterson for not making a play when it was a bad route by the GB receiver… he’s awful.

Thank you.

Imagine hockey announcers having to pronounce Nedeljkovic… they do it! That’s way harder to pronounce than Oruwariye.

Bottom line - do your homework!!!