Not Aqib Talib again

Yeah aikman too… although I wonder sometimes listening to him how much those concussions are affecting him… He just says some stuff sometimes where I’m like “huh?”

1 Like

I actually appreciated him noting the DB (meli?) giving up the inside position on the receiver, getting beat where he had no help, vs forcing him to the outside/downfield where the help was in that particular coverage. Useful bit about the coverage they were in, and explaining why they got beat on a bigger play, due to the cover guy not handling his responsibilities. Good stuff.

1 Like

He actually admitted to drinking before games too…

2 Likes

Oh seriously? I never heard that before

That’s awesome and yeah, exactly what I mean… what other commentators are able to pull that out?

I thought Orlovksy did a good job commentating too during the bowl game… he knows what he sees for sure

oops… it was during the game…

Joe Buck used to drink tequila with Troy Aikman in Fox booth - Sports Illustrated

1 Like

Love the story but didn’t like to closing line taking a shot at gus Johnson! I like Gus and feel bad bc he’s gets paired with all the former players trying their hand at broadcasting

1 Like

Wow right on… must be nice to have the option to drink on the job!

Gus wanted Aqib to be his broadcast partner.

1 Like

Really? Interesting! I wonder if he’s taking him under his wing

I think he did much better today.

1 Like

The problem talib runs into isn’t his fault. It’s that most of us grew up and were spoiled by broadcasters like Keith Jackson and Bob greise, Bob costas and for the tigers Ernie harwell. The John madden and pat summerall team. Those are just impossible standards to live up to. But it’s also the level of broadcasters we miss.

2 Likes

You hit the nail on the head with that list of greats.

I recently saw Frank Caliendo impersonating Romo and Nantz… got a laugh from him.

1 Like

I actually like Talib. His podcast are great as well. Love his draft insight.

2 Likes

Wow and his John Madden is spot on, forgot he did that!

2 Likes

Sorry Talib fans, he’s in Minnesota this week. Burkhart & Greg Olsen have Lions-Pack.

1 Like

“I love watching this young man, Gus!”

I like Aqib… and like Olsen too!

Burkhart is a little “stiff”… but not annoying like Joe Buck.

That all may be true. I just can’t understand him. He talks too fast and his accent is really strong.
Maybe he’s just too hip or cool for me.
He’s not the only accent I have trouble with, though. Those cats up in New England give me a headache. Mostly those in Maine or New Hampshire. Heavy Eastern Europeans, too. Oh, and some of those heavy old English accents. Scottish??? Forget it. Hell, even my TV’s closed caption can’t figure out what Groundskeeper Willie’s saying. I know, the NFL doesn’t use those people. I’m just saying that I guess I have problems with accents.
Now, stupidity and ego based commentators suck and there are plenty of them. Many of us don’t have problems with some that irritate the hell out of the rest of us. Schlereth needs to go. So do others that interject their self appointed expertise into the game talking about what this coach did wrong or what that quarterback should have done. Just call the damn game. There are many young fans that didn’t get to listen to the old-time greats so they can’t compare today’s game callers/commentators to when it was done right and that’s too bad. There are many things about today’s game that I don’t really like, but that’s the way it is.

1 Like

Herbstreet began yesterday afternoon’s game with both barrels loaded, ready to nitpick and critique Denver’s QB. That made it pretty awkward for Herbstreet when he started playing well after the 2nd series was extended by the roughing the punter penalty and Lock got a little wind in his sails.

1 Like