O-line worries anyone?

I don’t know who posted the stat, but I mentioned that we’ve been bad running the ball thusfar this year, and they showed that we’ve run more in the first two games in 2019 than we did in 2018. And 2018’s running game, while not amazing, was respectable. So I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt for now.

1 Like

I expect it to improve somewhat if the passing game continues to expand their playbook. They’ll eventually have to respect the pass. I also expect an uptick in production if Ty Johnson gets an expanded role. He’s not only fast, but a tough 210 lb runner who doesn’t hesitate.

Joe Dahl has proven to be a good pass protector at guard but his run blocking is suspect. In college he was in a spread offense and didn’t do much run blocking. He hasn’t really improved in that capacity yet imo. He’s the weak link on the left side.

i am fine with the right side: rag and Glasgow are legit. Otherside needs help at the moment in my eyes.

But we have the TEs to work on that weakness …

If we get decker up to speed and he preforms like he did pre injury… we will take off imho!!

1 Like

Come on, man. We also ran the ball a lot. Almost even.

28 rushes, 30 passes.

Can’t hit the QB as much if the ball is in the RBs hands. (also 3 targets to Kerryon, 2 to Ty)

Playcalling kept Stafford clean. We should have been doing this for years, IMO.

• I * was referring to the fact Stafford wasn’t hit or sacked once last game /Chargers and the point was because Hock was helping…it was an O-Line subject and not “we ran as much as we threw.”. pay attention almost even.

You seemed to say it was the only reason.

“they only kept Matt clean because”

I was objecting to “only” not that Hock was helpful. I included another reason Stafford stayed clean.

OL deserves some credit, too.

what one time with extra help, the O-line didn’t get Stafford killed?

:slightly_smiling_face: “golly great job o-line.”

I’m actually not worried at this point with the OL… Semantics, I guess, I DO have some mild concerns. As mentioned above, the left side seems suspect for run blocking, and perhaps somewhat for pass blocking. We know Decker was playing hurt most of game 1, so I’m concerned about that, especially if it’s a lingering issue. I won’t be worried unless and until Decker really becomes a liability when healthy. Until then, if the team adjusts, as they did against the Chargers, I’ll just be concerned. I actually really like what’s been developing with Ragnow, Glasgow and Wagner on the right side. If they continue to run that way, defenses will also have to adjust to that prospect, putting better DL against our right side OL. You just never know how this is going to play out over a few games… and a season

The Line is the biggest threat to the success of the team. If Stafford were to go down for any length of time the season is over. If Stafford were to get seriously hurt, fans would see just how much of a difference there is between him and likely decades of trying to replace him.

1 Like

i would be happy if we drafted a monster left tackle in the 1st or 2nd round ,but we should also invest in a real good quarter back–if any is left after the 2nd rd—qb’s are going to be the high commidty on the up coming draft–just my 2 cents

Yeah, it will take decades to find someone else who wins zero big games.

Seriously though. Is this just your schtick or are you really this disturbingly obsessed with a solid QB?

I will agree that if he goes down, the season is toast, but that’s because we have done a shitty job of filling the QB2 role. If we had a Bridgewater or Brissett I don’t think it would be huge dropoff. Even a Keenum/Tannehill/Mullens/Hoyer level QB2, we wouldn’t fall off a cliff, like we would going from Stafford to whoever Quinn’s flavor of the week is today.

As an example, the Colts had a much better QB in Luck. When healthy, he’s just better than Stafford, yet they still had a viable backup on the roster, where we have nothing here. They didn’t throw the towel in when he retired. Same thing with the Saints. Brees is a MUCH better QB than Stafford, yet they still put a legit back up in place. It wouldn’t take decades to replace Stafford. It would take 1 correct draft pick. Plus you would save like 25 million a year which would allow you to add another high level QB to the roster.

When your entire rant is not based in anything factual and shows no understanding of this issue there is no debate. Luck is not the QB Stafford is and neither is Brees. Teddy can fill in for NO and they will likely win some games, but he could not fill in here and win. Teddy doesn’t have the arm talent to make a good percentage of the throws Stafford is required to make.

“Zero big games” - every game is a big game in the NFL and playing well is all a QB can do. When NO never punts in a playoff game and Matt throws for 380 yards, just a clue Matt played well but the team wasn’t up to the challenge.

The ridiculous negativity of many Lions Fans is embarrassing.

LOL

Yeah, that’s what Rams fans said when Trent Green got hurt…

Pessimist.

1 Like

That kid from Stanford, little was a consensus blue chip first round LT until his knee injury. He probably drops to the second round pending successful knee surgery