Okudah--different opinions

Interesting how opinions differ.

This morning, I saw a couple of commentators state that Okudah really hadn’t done anything notable in training camp and was running behind converted safety Will Harris for one of the two No. 1 CB spots.

Then, later this morning, I read this:

Jeff Risdon
@JeffRisdon

1h

Other than one play today Okudah has been lights out. CB1 easily all camp long. It’s not particularly close either.

Benjamin Solak
@BenjaminSolak

Jeff Okudah looks awesome

So, for those thinking there is no hope

6 Likes

This is what happens when you have reporters who didn’t play sports, or don’t understand the responsibilities of that particular player in whatever scheme they’re practicing.

Frankly, reporters should not be commenting on who looks good and who doesn’t. That’s up to coaches. This armchair shit is going way too far.

19 Likes

I made a big mistake when I was evaluating Darrell Revis coming out because I didn’t know what I was looking at. At the time I didn’t realize he was so good and so naturally fast and strong that he made it look like he was barely trying at times.

5 Likes

Whatever the reports are I’m sure he will emerge as CB1 vs Harris
Baring another injury we will finally see why he was drafted at #3
Well, maybe not why drafted at #3, but why he was a first rounder
He will have a good year
Too much a competitor and talent to be held down

3 Likes

LOL - Niiice. Always gonna be behind a Yoda Quote/reference.

1 Like

3 Likes

I’m surprised we’re not seeing more of him. Such a good dude to have on the team. Warrior spirit, professionalism, super-high “give a shit” factor…definitely a good locker room guy and a great addition to the brotherhood.

2 Likes

Yes. And that’s why I never offer my opinion about Michael Brockers and Demetrius Taylor except when I do. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Preach, brother!
I know, I do it, from time to time, but, I’m not good at it ,either.
There is this little voice in my head that says, “sowing confusion in your opponents heads is a good thing”, but, I doubt they’re confused. They all have scouts. They know exactly what we have.

1 Like

I was at practice today and Okudah definitely stood out. He looked sticky and was especially good at setting the edge in run support. He looked like our best cornerback today.

Other players who stood out to me today was;

Hutchinson- making the o-linemen uncomfortable with all his pass rush moves. Nasty bull rush.

St Brown- runs smooth, nice routes

Goff-Looked sharp, comfortable and poised. His deep throws looked great. Very accurate

Pittman- very aggressive

Rodriquez- also very aggressive and always making plays.

Jamaal Williams was full of energy. He made some really nice runs including a tough touchdown run. He always ran to the end zone no matter what

Jack Fox- standing on the 15 yard line he was punting the ball to at least the other 15 yard line. One punt went into the end zone. Pretty impressive to watch in person.

Also this was my first training camp practice so it was just cool to see the guys in person!

18 Likes

Uninitiated fans buying into random glossy opinions of writers that know very little about football:

Excited Pumped Up GIF by NBA

Den members that have seen a few hundred training camp wonders fail miserably in the regular season:

Say What Zach Galifianakis GIF

4 Likes

Love it, brother. Thanks for the updates, man.

1 Like

That kid is awesome. Way to go for it, dude.

Never a doubt! I believe!

Nate hit it on head with all the instant analysis these days from experts

I’m not saying any of the beat writers should be considered gospel, but I trust some observations more than others (as I’m sure we all have ones we like). What I’m seeing is that Okudah has been up and down. That shouldn’t be a surprise given the injury he’s coming back from - but really the CB position as a whole is concerning. I think a case can be made that Amani is a #2 corner and Harris/Okudah can Duke it out for depth. But if/when the Lions are going to be contenders eventually they are going to need to add a legit starting corner eventually

2 Likes

Okudah will prove himself a #1 CB by mid year. Book it!
Cat Book GIF

3 Likes

Truth is our CB’s haven’t been looking good. None of them. They’ve been getting torched all camp and playing sporadically.

Makes me wonder if Goff and the WR’s are that good or if our CB’s are that bad.

3 Likes

welcome : Big Lions Fan *

Probably somewhere in the middle lol.

I have the same thought every time someone gushes over the offense. Wait till they play a real defense maybe?