Omg a top 10 pick! šŸ˜±

Proving that the better teams are better throughout the draft and free agency, while also proving that the sucky teams suck throughout the draft and free agency.

Itā€™s not that a good team needs a top 10 pick. Itā€™s more that a bad-to-mediocre team is less likely to screw the pooch in the top 10. Then, of course, there are teams that prove even top-10 picks can be botched. :thinking:

2 Likes

How about presuming that we donā€™t have a moron making the pick this time?

I get it, some of you believe you win at all costs. No matter what. Thatā€™s fine. I think differently.

Right now, we both got what we wanted. They played hard yesterday and still lost. Best possible pick available to them.

We can all at least agree, I hope, that we pray they get it right, canā€™t we?

we pray they get it right over the past 30 years, so why notā€¦again?

Not sure how to take your post Wolf.

They are the team we follow.

There is zero evidence to support that.

yes but years and years ago, I thought HIGH draft picks was the way to go like you-now. The realist in me says the draft is a damn lottery and you have to hit or get lucky to land the game changing players weather you draft high or low. our experiments drafting high got us nowhereā€¦again, I blame that on ownership moreā€¦but Iā€™m saying that selecting high in the draft? isnā€™t a guarantee
of anything.
top playmakers are there but you still got to be lucky enough to capture them in the draft.

Top 10 picks since/including Stafford
2009 1OA Stafford

2010 2OA Suh

2013 5OA Ansah

2014 10 OA Ebron. The gold medal for misses

2019 8OA Hockenson

2020 3OA Okudah

Honestly, if you fix the miss with Ebron, the rest look ok or need time to tell. Definite reaches in places. Definite, locked onto a player and refused to consider anyone/anything else (Okudah).

Furthermore, sometimes top-10 is required even to reach players with a 1st round grade.

Basically, good teams are good because theyā€™re good at drafting and free agency. Bad teams are bad no matter how much help they get.

1 Like

Can you find talent anywhere in the draft, of course YES.

Is it easier to find talent when picking sooner, it damn well should be. Is it easier to move around the draft board if you are holding more collateral, yes.

Would you rather be the team trading up to get someone (giving up capital) or the team going backwards getting extra capital? Just because the team sucks at using said capital doesnā€™t change the facts of itā€™s importance.

1 Like

early-high or later on, the draft is as hard as a lottery pick. The Lions never have their chit together bro, as our owners seem fit to hire people that can barely tie their shoes , let alone operate a NFL football team; and they sure as hell canā€™t draft. YES they get lucky here and there over time but whiff far more often than not when picking for The team. many times? they donā€™t get it right and we just keep losing.

This team is in desperate NEED of beast players/talent. not glass made players that go out and stay out nursing Boo Booā€™s . you hire chimps to draft and your team is left devoid of talent and wins.

but yeah ā€œonce in a whileā€ they manage to get solid playersā€¦but not nearly often enough.

We know, look at us saying take THIS guy and then the GM picks some WTF prospect and plays thee ā€œsmahrtest guyā€ card. or they donā€™t realize HEY you just lost Aaron Donald or sum chitā€¦ and chose Ebron instead.

I would rather be the team that wins more football games.

Every year people put too much stock in the first 5 or so picks and players that are scheduled to go there. Letā€™s look at the 2014 draft because people have analyzed it to death already. Iā€™m not even going to bring up Aaron Donald. Letā€™s look at WR. That draft was considered WR heavy, but the real difference makers were seen as Sammy Watkins at the top followed by Mike Evans behind himā€¦then a drop off. Thatā€™s how fans saw itā€¦like they do every year. Thatā€™s also how the Buffalo Bills saw it, which is why they gave up so much to move up to take Watkins. We all know that Odell Beckham was a perfectly fine choice. But the Packers snagged Devante Adams at the back of the 2nd round, and the Jags and Dolphins grabbed Allen Robinson and Jarvis Landry with the final few picks of the 2nd round. Thatā€™s not an outlier. Thatā€™s how the draft works. There is talent beyond the first 5 to 10 picks every year. This year will be no different. But every year fans feel like the world is going to come to an end if we donā€™t pick in the top 5 or 10.

1 Like

I admit I have NO idea who our GM will be orā€¦what the guy IS good at, I can only hope itā€™s not a Bob Quinn clone OR worseā€¦this hire is crucial for further success of the team.

I wonā€™t know what heā€™s done, what OA experience he has, was it a good hire or an awful oneā€¦nothing.

when HE names a HC? same dealā€¦Iā€™m nervous as a cat in a dog pound. AND, I have no idea what will happen.

I wanna live long enough to see the Lions win a Super Bowl.

If losing a meaningless game at the end of a season helps them acquire a better group of talent in future years to get them there, Iā€™m all for it. In two years, winning yesterday will mean absolutely nothing. NOTHING.

The next regime will not give a damn if they win or lost. The current staff for the most part, will be long gone from Detroit. It only matters to the fans.

You canā€™t trade out of 2OA if you donā€™t have the pick. You canā€™t pick from the 10 OA player to 15 OA if your picking 16 OA, without giving up capital to get to those picks.

Same as myself. Hope for the best. As a fan of the Detroit Lions, itā€™s all we have. For as long as we are fans.

WR is an interesting choice. An article I was just reading showed top-10 WR picks have a slightly lower hit rate than 1st round WRs overall. So, coveting a WR in the top 10 is a teamā€™s 1st mistake (right behind coveting a 1st round TE).

There is a higher likelihood of success in general the higher you pick. If you want my proof, look at any of the draft pick trade value charts that NFL teams follow. To no surprise, the #1 overall pick yields the highest return.

Picking high doesnā€™t make a bad team good. Thatā€™s the real lesson. Itā€™s not that thereā€™s less value in a top-10 pick. The fact is, depending on the hands theyā€™re placed in, each pick can be of higher or lesser value, be it #1 overall or Mr Irrelevant.

For me, itā€™s more about having the ammo to trade down.

The Lions need more picks. They can get more for #7 than they could for #14, for example.

I made a post earlier about a higher draft pick only being worthwhile if your GM/Coaching staff know what to do with said player.

You mention ā€œthe same teams are always picking up topā€. This isnā€™t entirely true, but letā€™s presume it is. There are 3 reasons for that imo.

1. Teams with a quality franchise QB often find themselves picking between 20-32. (This comment is not an indictment of Stafford - has nothing to do with Stafford.)
  2. Teams with a quality front office/GM are in sync with the coaches they are drafting for are more commonly drafting between 20-32.
  3. The coaches for these teams are doing more with the players their front office provides them with. (Itā€™s not about draft position, itā€™s about fit)

Kyle Van Noy was the example I used earlier. KVN was a good pickā€¦for an organization that ran a 3-4. It doesnā€™t matter if the Lions had a better pick or not if thatā€™s what they are going to do with their picks.

Aaron Donald is evidence that plenty of good players are available outside of the top 10. Being in the top 10 does NOT guarantee that the player will be successful.

Hopefully, the new GM/Coaching staff knows wtf they are doing and the higher pick this year will be beneficial to them in terms of landing a higher caliber player or being able to get more for trading down.

Personally, Iā€™m already hoping they trade down. The Lions have a lot of work to do.

Regarding people wanting the Lions to W yesterday vs. Lā€¦

Fans should always want their team to tank if BOTH of the following are true

1. They are out of playoff contention
  2. They are in an area where losing will lead to a blue chip player vs. a non-blue chip player in the draft

So, I would argue that the Lions were in a better position to ā€œtankā€ last year than this year. The difference between #11 and #7 doesnā€™t really, truly make a difference. Itā€™s all about what the team does with the player they get in that case. I get why a lot of fans would rather have the W yesterday and am not all that passionate either way on yesterdays result. #7 will be better for trade value, but I just as easily could have enjoyed the W and the #11 pick.

The difference between #3 and #2 last year, however, was monumental. In that case, every fan should have been cheering for Lā€™s.

1 Like

there is a SET number of games your team has to play hopefully your QB is healthy -enough to play in ALL of them. To me? there is no ā€œgarbage time/meaningless games.ā€ your team is expected to play-period.

In the offseason we CANNOT WAIT for football to start. When it does? Itā€™s a bitch-fest. WE are angry because we have MORE games, OR that OUR QB ā€˜daresā€™ to finish out the season when heā€™s able.

There is no whining about ā€œmeaningless gamesā€ when it comes to Rogers, Brady, Brees, . Mahomes , or any OTHER QBā€¦just ours. Itā€™s always ā€œStafford is a dumb SOB for playing the final games.ā€

But you TRY to win EVERY game and try to help your team get more winsā€¦this is why you play them all.

Weā€™ve lost a ton of meaningless games at the end of seasons, and we canā€™t even pull off a playoff winā€¦much less a Super Bowl.

Draft value charts donā€™t show you how the guys actually play the game of football. We want good football players, not some nebulous chart that says they should be better.

This is how I feel.

The team was more than capable of delivering Lā€™sā€¦over and over and over again. We even managed to lose to the team who ended up with the pick in front of us. As of right now we are an answer to a trivia question, as we will go down as one of the only NFL teams in history that ever lost a football game to Dwayne Haskins.

1 Like

You mean guys who are going to be playing in playoffs games and may sit an entire game or half to not risk injury in a game that will, not affect their playoff positioning?

Like Roethlisberger not playing yesterday? Like the Chief resting starters yesterday?

Yeah, never happens. They always play to win. Every game.

This is true in general, but if a team is looking to draft their next franchise QB, as we damn well should be, you really do want to be in the top 10. Itā€™s not impossible to draft a good QB later, but teams sure donā€™t hesitate anymore on pulling the trigger early in the draft if a guy looks like a reasonable bet. Yet another thing thatā€™s changed in the last decade as the NFL has gone all-in on the passing game.