On the pass to Chark, who messed up?

Chark zigged when he should have zagged.

3 Likes

Chark had a defender in his face when he turned right. Goff threw it to his left shoulder so Charks body was between the ball and defender.
Goff has about 7 more games in the system.
I’m going to say Chark shouldn’t have turned into the defender.

3 Likes

Time management. Get the first down. Don’t give the other team a chance. We’ve seen this way to often.

3 Likes

Stafford was 2-18-1 his last 40 starts in Detroit, when we allowed 27 plus points…. So his winning percentage in shootouts is about half what Goffs has been (less than half). Many of those comebacks came in games when the offense… in part by him, sputtered all game until that late 4th…

Stafford is also just 1-9 when the Rams allow 27 points!

16-62-1 when his team allows 27 points for his career…. 20.2%

• Goff was 10-14 in LA when they gave up 27 plus…and 3-9 in Detroit…. So 13-23… about 36%.

Even the great TB12 is just 30-48… 39%- not much different than Goff! The crazy thing is Brady only faced 27 points 78 of 326 games… just 24% of the time!!!

Goff has had to deal with 27 points against in 36 of 93 starts…39% that’s a lot!!!

Stafford has faced 27 points in 79 of 191 career starts or a terrible 41.3%. That’s a whole lot too but he only wins 20% of those!

Herbert is 6-18… 25%
Allen is 3-9… 25%
Burrow is 2-9…… 18%
K Murray is 5-18-1… just over 25%
Lamar is 4-9…(close at 31% but not as good as Goff)
Matt Ryan 21- 57…. Not bad 27%
Erin- 20-48-1…. 29% close- still no
Jimmy G is 5-16 … 24%
Russ Wilson is 12-28…30%- close-nope!
Dak is 7-18…just 28%
J Hurts is just 2-8 … just 20%
D Carr is 15-47… 24%
K Cousins is 9-43-2…. 18%- that’s bad
C Wentz is 5-27… that’s 16% AWFUL!!!
Tannehill is 12-37… or 24%

Daniel Jones is 1-17… about 6%. BAD!!!
D Watson is just 2-21when facing 27 points!!! 8%!!!
Justin Fields is 0-10… zero wins against 27 pts!!!
Mac Jones is 0-8… zero wins!!!
Trevor Lawrence is 0-12…. Zero!!

Big Ben was 17-44 … or 28%
Drew Brees was 35-75… 31%
Eli was 16-68…. 19%
Peyton was 22-55…. 29%
Rivers was 19-54…26%

• bottom line there is only 1 QB you really want in a shootout and that is Pat Mahomes who somehow still wins 55% of the time- SICK!!! Tua is the only other guy better than Goff at 4-5… 44.4%

Mahomes- 55%. Sick!!!
Tua - very small sample size, but still- 44%
Brady- 39%
Goff-,36%
Lamar- 31%
Russ - 30%
Erin- 29%

5 Likes

Though it’s tempting to discuss your “axis toward” (prejudice against) Stafford, that’s all just water under the bridge at this point. But I do want to make a couple points.

First, and maybe your memory is better than mine (I’m sure it is), but I don’t connect Goff criticizers to being Stafford supporters. There may be posts that are catching your attention, but I just don’t see the connection.

I do see some Goff criticisms consistently from a couple posters that give zero latitude, that is definitely true, I just have no idea where they landed in the repeated Stafford disputes. I see criticisms tossed Campbell’s way that also show zero latitude.

Goff has never once made that throw this year. He can’t do it. His accuracy plummets when the pass distance hits ~20 yards. They’ve tried it so many times and it hasn’t hit once. I think Goff is a good QB, but that throw is something that just isn’t a part of his game. PFF even did a detailed analysis after last season and ranked the starting QBs on their passes 20 or more yards and Goff was #30 out of 32.

That’s why I don’t understand the play call, and that’s why I don’t understand people insisting on blaming Chark when Goff himself said it was his own fault.

2 Likes

“Jared Goff had an overall solid day. He threw for 240 yards and two touchdowns and zero turnovers. He properly called a check into the Lions 2-point conversion, which illustrated his intelligence, but when the pressure got turned up, he was too often rattled and it led to mistakes. The Lions needed him to finish the game in this one and he missed his opportunity”

These articles are all over, all saying same thing Goff Is fine till you pressure him. Like many have tried to say here. Just like he did when the game was on the line.

2 Likes

No doubt

I voted Goff but believe it was one of the few calls Ben Johnson made that I didn’t like.
I didn’t like that call.

1 Like

The outside view:

If Jared Goff had not overthrown an open D.J. Chark on a would-be touchdown on Detroit’s final offensive play, the Bills very well could be 7-4 right now and in a bit of trouble in the AFC playoff race.

Instead, they’re 8-3, currently the No. 2 seed in the AFC and have a 57% chance to win the AFC East, per Five Thirty Eight.

1 Like

WR1 is St Brown and will remain that until Williams proves he is ready and actually plays. Yes, I believe he will do so but for now St Brown is WR1.

3 Likes

Write in vote for Dan Campbell. Horrible clock management. He handed the game to Josh Allen to pull a SOL on us. And he’s lucky we even made the field goal to make it difficult on them. Totally butchered last 2 minutes.

Dude your the only one still trying to compare Stafford you bring him up in any defense of Goff. You have missed on the Stafford debate for years , he made you look foolish through out the years so you still try pretend that you knew something. Hated Stafford but love you some Jared Goff. Says it all. It’s probably killing you that Goff shit the bed when the game counted and Josh Allen did his best Stafford imatation a won the game with 23 sec. You talking about QB is like pee wee Herman talking about sex. Lol. There a hudge difference in QBs like Stafford and Allen and Jared Goff.

Stafford fluffers won a super bowl, you still here trying to discredit the guy while your Goff fluffing . I thinks it’s hilariously you still try to compare the 2 and can’t see a difference in there game.

National Football League Idk GIF by Detroit Lions

1 Like

I think comparing Goff to Stafford is legit. Stafford was here 12 years without even a playoff win. Goff probably would have won a Superbowl in LA as well if he had Kupp healthy and got to play against Cincy instead of a Brady lead Pats.

Goff doesn’t have the magic that Matt has at the end of the games, that is clear. I think Jared is trying to establish himself is that kind of guy with the deep throw to win the game instead of throwing short to try and get the first down…but many criticize him for being too conservative at times. I like the play but I don’t know that throwing it up to a WR that hasn’t hardly played in a long time is a good play though. Chark is not Marvin Jones or Kenny Golladay of a few years ago…but Jared can only throw it to the WR’s he has.

I think Stafford’s Superbowl last year is a lot less impressive with them and him shitting the bed this year. It’s never been more obvious than now that it’s a team game. Matt isn’t the alpha that people try to make him out to be, he’s a product of his team just like most QB’s. He is impressive when the game is on the line but until that point of the game, I think him and Jared are very comparable.
Criticize the deep game?..yep, heard that when Matt was here too.
Wilts under pressure?..yep, heard that when Matt was our QB too.
Doesn’t have WR’s?..yep, same song when Matt was here.

I don’t know if Jared will ever have the late-game magic Matt did but he’s still a damn good QB. He doesn’t have the arm strength that Matt does but either does Brady, it’s not necessarily needed to win games as a QB. There’s things that Jared can work on yet, same thing was said about Matt at this point of his career here.

I’m all for continuing to build around Jared and giving him the players around him to succeed. Would I swap a 28 year old Goff for a 28 year old Stafford?..yep, most likely. Would I swap a 28 year old Goff for a 34 year old broken-down Stafford?..nope, probably not.

To compare the two QB’s is normal. We’ll probably be comparing the next QB with Goff too.

2 Likes

all QB’s mess up with enough pressure in their face.

4 Likes

I am reminded of these same arguments in the draft lead up to Stafford. People puked at his college stats etc. Wanted Aaron Curry. I think the Lions will be drafting a QB early.

1 Like

Again, I see this same idea over and over again. No quarterback in the NFL would ever be able to get to this level if he never looked beyond his first read. Some guys may certainly do it better than others. There may be reasons for that, such as great blocking by your offensive line or play action that buys the extra time. But to suggest that Goff only looks for his primary option is false. Romo even highlighted one play earlier in the game where Goff looked left and then came back right. People used to say this about Stafford as well and it is just flat out wrong.

1 Like

The Goff to Chark connection was good in preseason and camp. Chark was finally back and they ran a beautiful touchdown play to him earlier in the game.

I think they thought they’d catch the bills selling out to stop the run and they were right. I’m sure this was one of their dagger plays to save for the right situation and this was close to it. Unfortunately Goff and Chark have barely played together in a month.

Personally I would have run the ball. I also think a crosser to St Brown was better. They had low confidence in Badgley after he missed an easier one. I think they wanted to do a long pass to Chark all game and this felt like the right time. If it works, it’s a dagger. In this case, they still had a chance to tie and try and take it to overtime.

There were lots of chances for the Lions to win the game before and even one chance after by the defense.

The play where Goff got spun around and nearly threw a pick was his worst play of the game. That is one of those where the Lions were leading and he had no reason to force that.

2 Likes

Agree with it all. I wish they would’ve ran that ball once or twice up the middle. I think that was the smart play. They still had a couple of timeouts and most likely would’ve had some shots at the end zone. Oh well… not the end of the world. I found it a highly entertaining game and came away even more encouraged about our future. We’ve proven we can play with the big boys. A few more defenders and some solid back ups and we will start to beat these teams.

I feel we are on the verge of being the best Detroit Lions team of my lifetime and I’ve been watching consistently since 1978.

another factor is Goff has to see where his team mates are AND what the Opponents players are moving in a matter of seconds each and every play he is in , and it changes, moves , pressure comes from half a dozen angles AND Goff has to pick his target out if he’s throwing, and try to deliver that football with different choices how to throw, when to throw, how much power, speed, or touch to use …while people are trying to take him down or interfere with his plays. I was not even close to “a Goff guy” , but I will say he is more than able EVEN THOUGH, he has certain things to work on-for his responsibilities as a NFL QB , I know that . But I don’t want to keep picking QB’s every 2 season’s either.
Guess what , if your team isn’t perfect, your QB won’t be. And coach Dan is trying to work with a rebuilding team /2nd build, and his team is suffering injuries and players missing games and time , a ghost WR group, and things fans just don’t get to know about, so I’m giving him some rope here to. my two cents.

1 Like