Opinions on Najee Harris?

Hope the new GM looks for a RB later in the draft. I like Javonte Williams from UNC in the middle or end of the draft, he runs over guys and has speed. I think he would compliment Swift well

I love Harris. Relying solely on Swift year year is a disaster waiting to happen. Would could get a back later in the draft.

I would do this with the first 2 picks:

1. Best Player
  2. QB

He looks like a great transition to the NFL game. He would likely end up as the #1 over Swift within a year if the Lions were to get him. I would see him as a very good option in the 2nd! If the Lions do not like who is there at #7 or see similar value in the teens, I would love to see them trade back, add a 2nd & later pick. In that scenario it is much easier to take Harris with so many needs on Defense.

Depending on our scheme I’d buy low on Hubbard in the draft. In a zone blocking scheme i still think he can be a boss. He now seems more like a 4th rounder though he’ll likely move up a bit after testing.

The only reason why Harris is at all of interest in round 2 is bc he’s so god damn special in the passing game. And he’s still a really talented and versatile runner to boot. He lacks long speed but other than that I’m struggling to think of someone that was so well rounded.

Yeah I think Hubbard can be successful in one specific type role, as you say the one cut, zone blocking stuff, but who knows if that’s what we’ll run. He’d be great in San Francisco though.

Re: Harris, I agree that he is a talent, but we’ve just spent so, so many resources on a position that doesn’t require it over the past few years, it galls me. I say we run Swift into the ground, and if (when) he breaks, we find a cheap replacement the way so many other teams seem to do, a la Jeff Wilson or Mike Davis or Latavius Murray or Jamaal Williams or Gus Edwards or Rex Burkhead or Carlos Hyde or on and on and on and on, you get the idea.

Harris has a very unique blend of skills. I don’t think a replacement level allows your offense to generate the same level of overall offensive production. He has to be accounted for on every play and the entire playbook is open when he’s on the field.

Use him like the Packers use Aaron Jones and he’d be an absolute monster. 1800-2000 scrimmage yards type of guy. I just can’t remember seeing anyone at 230lbs with those route running skills, and the pass pro and the short yardage ability, and on and on.

Have to think about how the Saints use Kamara, Murray and the Browns with Chubb, Hunt. Defenses get little break when the other guy comes in.

If one gets injured, you have someone to come in and go. The offense doesn’t change due to the injury. Still as lethal.

1 Like

Yup - This is how I feel too, @Huskerdoo.
One guy comes out, instead of a break, you have an entirely new set of problems. Keeps the pressure on and wears them down over time.

As a prospect, I agree. He’s my #1RB. And I still wouldn’t take him until the 4th.

Even great RBs are bad value, they just don’t win you super bowls. We had one and only won a single playoff game. Tomlinson, Peterson in his prime, Jamaal Charles, Derrick Henry, Leveon Bell’s peak, Eric Dickerson, Chris Johnson’s peak, MJD, Edgerrin James, Eddie George, Fred Taylor, on and on and on, it’s a staggering list.

Walter Payton won one once, at the tail end of his career. Faulk won one, in a passing offense. Lynch won one, but Seattle acquired him cheaply. Otherwise the list of championship RBs is a who’s who of who’s that? It’s really kind of staggering.

You have to get there. It’s a long season.

He reminds me of Shaun Alexander who carried that Seahawks team for a number if years. LeVeon Bell as well in terms of patience and route running abilities. I’m on the fence about round 2. It depends on the situation. If for instance Smith is the choice as HC and he pounds the table that he needs him for his offense to flourish then i’m cool with it.

Round 3 is a no brainer IMO.

If we didn’t already have Swift, I could get behind a 3rd. But we do have Swift, and much greater needs at pretty much every other position.

I underrated Swift a good bit. I do still have doubts that he can stay healthy though. I’m fine either way in round 2. I do see your POV as being solid from a roster makeup standpoint. But as Coach Royal used to say, “It’s not the X’s and the O’s but the Jimmys and the Joes.” I’m pretty damn sure Harris is a Jimmy/Joe.

But at pick 41 in a draft that IMO is rich in early second round talent I totally get your fierce aversion to going in that direction.

At pick 72 if you have a need at a position and you can get a star at the position (excluding special teams) I think you have to make the pick. I think Harris can be a star. I also think he may go in the back end of round 1 so this all may be a moot point.

TBH if I’m Miami and Tua is the path forward I’d think long and hard about adding both Harris and Smith.

Agree, the Lions need help in all areas but he doesn’t warrant a first round pick.
I was thinking that LB from Penn State who apparently took the year off as the first pick.
While I still prefer more “D” help in subsequent rounds you can’t rule out a quality player for any position. Keep in mind that the stronger the running attack, the less the defense will be on the field. They seemed to be on the field a lot last year.

Right, it’s just it would be the 3rd time in 4 years we went RB in the 2nd and that is how bad teams do it (2 times in 3 years is already bad enough). I’m all for finding Jimmys and Joes, just do it at a position with higher value.

I think you’re right though that he’s going back end of the 1st, GMs just can’t help themselves.

Yeah we have too many needs to go RB in the 2nd. That’s why I said 3rd, though it’s really just a hypothetical because he won’t last that long.