OTA Observations, 21 May 2019

Here’s the problem with Cook in a nutshell. “He has all the pieces but he’s never put the puzzle together. Coordinators and quarterback coaches always think they can fix those kinds of guys so they fight the hardest for them in the draft rooms I’ve been in.” – Former NFL GM

That was before the combine, where he sucked.

The “fix” for Cook is his accuracy. He sucked at the combine and that dropped him in the draft and he doesn’t seem to be getting any better. A career 57 or 58% passer after starting for 4 years should be a red flag. If you can’t get over the 60% hump you aren’t going to play in the NFL. Now, Stafford was like 61 or 62%, (going off memory), and he did “coach up” and had a 66+ last season, so it is possible. And the Lions game of throwing short to their TE’s, RB’s and slot receiver does play to the strengths that he has but there is a reason why he was available.

1 Like

Btw, his NFL completion percentage is 66.7.:grin:

Yep, 14-21, 1 TD and 1 Int. What I thought was interesting is that he was also flagged because he lacked leadership. I think that’s an area where Stafford is really lacking as well. If they can coach him up so that we at least have a legitimate backup I will be happy.

2 Likes

I always liked Cooks game at MSU and it was apparent he had the tools to play on Sunday.

His big red flag was he was an asshole

1 Like

I am curious as to why you think Stafford is lacking in leadership. Wasn’t really necessary for you to take a cheap shot at him either, but in any event I think you are sorely mistaken.

1 Like

So my opinion/observation is a cheap shot? Interesting. I might ask you why you think he is a leader. What is it about how he conducts himself that makes you believe that he is a leader? When Ebron was dropping passes, did he ever grab him by the facemask and chew him out? OL that misses blocking assignments? Taking the blame when he has played poorly? He is the leader on the field, he sets the tone for how things go down. Has he been a leader? Sure, the one game that will always come to mind is the one where he was injured, there was a time out, he came back in and led them to victory. Leadership demands accountability and I’ve never seen that side of him. If you have, tell me all about it.

You know why your comment was a cheap shot? Cuz we weren’t talking about Stafford, we were talking about Cook, you’re the one who started in on Stafford for no reason.

So, you’re always down on the sidelines, are ya? Know everything that was said before, during, and after the games? You never saw him taking the blame when he played poorly? You’ve never heard him holding himself accountable? Maybe you just forgot, cuz the rest of us have seen it.

Maybe you know more than his coaches and teammates, yeah that’s it. What do they know, right? Read this, it’s from 2016 but I don’t think Stafford is any less of a leader now than he was then. Maybe it’ll change your mind, but I doubt it:

There was a bit more fire to Stafford on that drive, as he was clearly yelling “Look at me” as the television camera focused on Stafford after Eric Ebron’s catch on the final drive. He was then caught on camera pointing to Jones and yelling “Get out. Get out” after Jones stayed in-bounds on his catch with 12 seconds left. It might have shown another level of growth in the leadership of a quarterback taking command and control of an offense. That’s exactly what the Lions need this season.

Stafford explained why he might have been viewed as more demonstrative during the final few seconds.

“We had one timeout left and I wanted to try and save that, you know. Just give us the full gamut of maybe we’re gonna run the ball the next play and it didn’t happen,” Stafford said. "It didn’t end up costing us. It’s not a huge thing but something where situationally we can be a little bit better.

“I’m on those guys as much as I can to try and do everything right. I don’t do everything right myself, but that kind of striving for perfection is going to get us to where we want to be.”

None of the Lions who were on the field during Detroit’s final drive seemed to think Stafford was any more animated than normal, though. They all said it was extremely loud in Lucas Oil Stadium. So when the television showed Stafford yelling and screaming, they said it might have been to be as communicative as possible as he tried to lead the Lions to a win.

“It’s like that. You can’t see me, but I’m screaming at my tackle who is like barely even not much farther than you are from me and I’m screaming at him because I can barely hear him, you know,” said right guard Larry Warford, standing a couple feet from a reporter. "And he’s talking to the receiver 10 yards out or whatever, telling them what to do, you can only imagine how difficult it is.

“So we want to over-communicate in those situations, and that’s what he did. He’s doing the right thing.”

That includes Stafford hurrying his team up in the final 37 seconds and imploring them to get out of bounds to stop the clock. So if he appeared more animated than he normally is, it’s because Detroit was in a bit of a time crunch.

None of his teammates have questioned whether or not he has emerged as a leader in Calvin Johnson’s retirement. They said Stafford’s been that all along.

“Staff’s always been our leader,” Ebron said.

Stafford has led these types of drives before, having put together 21 game-winning drives in the fourth quarter or overtime during his eight-year career. He’s always had that level of confidence, and his yelling was at least somewhat similar to what led to his fake spike during Detroit’s 2013 win over Dallas on the game’s final play.

Lions coach Jim Caldwell insists Stafford always had this kind of fire. He just might not show it all the time.

“You haven’t watched him closely, he’s always been that way,” Caldwell said. "He may not do it in a demonstrative way where you can visually see it.

“The things that you guys like to see and those kinds of things, where it’s quite evident, but he’s always been that way. He’s always been a great leader.”

1 Like

OK Mrs. Stafford, didn’t realize that I hit a nerve and that you could find a quote by a fired coach from couple of games to back up your assertion that he is, in fact, a leader.

“He may not do it in a demonstrative way where you can visually see it.”…Yep

I’m sorry but 4th quarter drives when you have an extra down and are working against a pre-vent D? Look, you want me to say something nice? No problem. He’s the best QB we have had in my lifetime, but if I also acknowledge that that statement comes with limitations and certain people are offended by me not being all in. Angry Driver gives me shit for not placing ALL the blame on the highest paid player. You are giving me shit for making what is for me an honest statement. Is he over paid? Absolutely, no question. So what? The guy has been in the league for how long and the team has never won a playoff game and in FACT, we have been lucky to even BE in playoff games. I never put that solely on Matt. He has his limitations and despite that we chose to make him the highest paid player in the NFL. I GET IT, the alternative simply doesn’t make sense because he does have skills. We simply are where we are and my comment was simply an observation. What do you expect Caldwell to say about the guy? If you don’t like my opinion, which is based on no playoff wins and few examples that say otherwise, tough. BTW, I would have edited the quote by Ebron.

So no playoff wins equates to no leadership? I suspect that neither you nor AD knows a damn thing about leadership. Let me clue the both of you in on something: no playoff wins is a function of insufficient talent, no running game, and no defense. Poor coaching might have something to do with it too. Only a complete idiot would think that it’s all on the QB when he’s got Blount in his backfield, no TEs to speak of , and nobody downfield that’s open. If you watched the games, you’d know that for a few years now Stafford is getting his ass clobbered on a weekly basis. Yet the guy gets to his feet and keeps on playing, you don’t think the rest of the team doesn’t see that? That’s leadership dudes, leading by example.

You think just because you don’t see it or hear it on TV that he ain’t trying to help his teammates? What do you know of what goes on during the week? What do you guys know of what goes on in the locker room before and after the game? Answer: not one damn thing, and yet you run him down like it’s totally his fault the team hasn’t won a playoff game. Which is bullshit, and BTW his paycheck doesn’t have a damn thing to do with leadership.

And you can shove the Mrs Stafford comments too. No class, dudes.

I get what you’re saying. Stafford always seems a bit too non-chalant after a loss. That might be an unfair assessment because I’m not there. I don’t see everything, but what I do see gives me the opinion that losses don’t drive him insane like the great QBs. It’s that insatiable ultra-competitive drive to win that makes the great players great

Stafford is a good kid, he’s tough and talented but he seems to lack that extra level of insanity; that drive that the elite QBs possess

So apparently you ARE there on the sideline so my opinion just doesn’t matter? And once again, I never said it was all on the QB and have been chided by Angry Driver who thinks it is. I made an observation, you got your panties in a bunch and so far you have said nothing that says I’m wrong. Take a deep breath and take my observation for what it’s worth. Agree, disagree but the emotion that you have injected into this conversation is actually pretty funny. I said he’s the best QB we have had in my lifetime but whoa, apparently that isn’t good enough. I have also made comments on this board that we haven’t had a leader on D since Dre Bly, wanna make me into some kind of asshole for that one too? No class would be a guy with a chip on his shoulder who can’t say we can agree to disagree. Done.

I’m just glad we have an outside chance of having a viable young backup QB. Jake Rudock was obviously just holding a clipboard with no chance of having the talent to compete in the NFL.

2 Likes

Hey Wiseacres, where did I say Stafford didn’t have leadership qualities?

That’s not my beef with him, so don’t lump me in without evidence of my position.

Two years behind Stafford, and Cook is a viable starter…if he’s smart enough to become a sponge.
He’s got some pretty habits with his feet. That’s coachable.
Perfect situation!

Not my position.

Football is a team sport.

I tend to argue with people who seem to think that he has ZERO blame and that all he needs is: better cast, better coaching, etc THEN he’ll be better… I adjust for that. I constantly throw out challenges to those arguing with me and they ignore them. As such, I tend to get curt. If you want an honest conversation, I’m prepared, but I demand that if I pose questions, they get answered directly, and not with the same litany of excuses that is getting boring.

I think he’s overpaid for what he brings and I especially don’t like that we didn’t draft any QBs from 2009 (except Stafford, obviously) until 2016 and then when we did, they were 5th and 6th rounders. The Patriots draft them in 2nd and 3rd even though they have the GOAT.

If you’re going to call me out, at least have the courtesy to get my position right.

I will pin the Jets game on him. You can’t throw 4 very badly decided throws and not take the blame for the loss.

We have had too many needs. Everytime we change coaches, we need specialized personnel that we don’t have to fit the new scheme. Now, we’re back to WCO…short at least one WR, unless Fulgham really pans out…fast.
Is Crabtree still out there? He knows the WCO.

1 Like

Crabtree is available but how much would you be willing to spend? Last year he had a salary of $1 million, but his signing bonus was $7 million. The Ravens have a dead cap hit of close to $5 million this year left from his contract. I agree that we are 1 WR short right now, and hoping for a rookie to walk in and be an immediate contributor is wishful thinking. I think at this point we are going to be better off waiting for some cuts to get a 1 year stop gap player. Expanded use of the TE position will take some pressure off but depth is an important issue here.

2 Likes

I feel we have yet to see Powell’s ceiling. Hoping Amendola can teach him to have more guts. Lots to be determined, but it does appear we could use another WR for depth, if nothing else. I don’t see us using a lot of 4 WR sets this year though. Health is more of a thing, if we don’t add someone to the roster. I’m far more concerned about RG

Alright, one more comment and then I’m moving on.

1. Nobody has said Stafford is without blame, or that he doesn’t deserve the biggest slice of it. But not all of it, that’s all I’m saying; there are too many others involved, players and coaches who are also worthy of criticism cuz after all it IS a team sport.

2. If somebody wants to trash Stafford, it is for sure your right to do so and your opinion is no less valid than anyone else’s. BUT, don’t be going on somebody’s thread about something else and bitch about Stafford. Start your own thread.

3. And this stuff about leadership, it’s ridiculous to say that Stafford lacks leadership just because he doesn’t get in somebody’s face on TV. Good leadership varies from person to person and situation to situation, some are in your face while others are not, and quite frankly it’s really dumb to say he or anyone else lacks leadership cuz his style isn’t what you think it should be. Again, it’s your opinion (or whoever’s) and that’s fine, but if you’re going to flame Stafford based on nothing then you can expect to get flamed yourself. Don’t like it? Tough. Start your own thread about it and I’ll leave you alone.

2 Likes