Other teams think Slay will be traded. Lions taking calls

Birkett says a day 2 pick, which would be…ok.

Landing Chase Young would help our DBs big time. That’s what I’m focused on if I’m Quinntricia. How to get that dude in Honolulu Blue is paramount. If they need to move up a spot to do it, so be it. Having extra draft capital to make it happen helps their cause.

Best case scenario is that a team moves up to #2 for a QB. If Washington doesn’t want to move down three spots but one is okay, where they are guaranteed to get their guy and extra draft capital to boot, well the Lions have to be prepared for that scenario.

2 Likes

If we got a top ten pick in rd 2 it wouldn’t be horrible!

I’d like Slay to stay but he’s gonna start to decline and not worth 17M per year imo…

Seems like he wants out and is forcing it by the $$$ demands

Well, Slay was picked in round 2 (36th overall). Not many players can get replacement value in a trade, many fine players go for lesser picks.

The rub is not many corners outside of Okudah can be expected to make the jump to CB1 in their rookie seasons. So, I’d expect them to sign a vet there and draft a kid.

Not to sound like a broken record, but a lesser vet than Slay is fine… with Chase Young leading the pass rush.

1 Like

I pay him top tier money for 3 years not good enough, more than willing to move on . Slay wants top dollar , he is 29 , he has been here for 7 years , the losing could have him being a player that is going through the motions . He was 2nd round pick in 2013 if we can attain a 2nd round pick 7 years later you move on , focus the money on a younger corner etc…I’d rather pay Logan Ryan for 2 than Slay for 4…Waynes on a cheaper deal , Chris Harris for 1 …You do not want to be here don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out .

2 Likes

I woudn’t trade Slay I would keep him an if he plays well I would tag him in 2021 if we can’t get deal done.

I had no problem with the Diggs trade would have liked more but he is gone an I am ok with that.
Two things that bug me Slay an Glasgow, I see no reason to not make deals unless the asking is way out of line.

3 Likes

I’m also high on Amani Oruwariye the kid has real size, skills & speed …Super cheap . Should be ready to take over #2CB duties in 2021 or fill in if he has to now …Draft Okudah & sign a vet . It’s not like the cupboard is bear. We nead to focus the money on pass rushand a LB as well …

I would do the same but nothing makes me believe Slay would be a willing participant to the yearly game , he would hold out , skip camps , I’m not in the mood any more for players that are Business Decisions

2 Likes

Quinn needs to be fired because he sucks. We didn’t need this Slay fiasco to cement his status as a bad GM.

2 Likes

[quote=“NewYorkLion, post:27, topic:3699”]The
Draft Okudah & sign a vet
[/quote]

I know you’re super high on Okudah, but if Young is one pick away I’d rather move up for him.

FWIW, according to the trade value chart the difference between pick 2 and 3 is 400 points, or pick 50. In the real world it will likely take more, but how much really? If we are that freaking close to Chase Young I think for what he can do for this teams crying need for a pass rush, and the fact that he plays a super premium position, it’s a no-brainer to move up even if it costs a lot more than chart value.

I’m a huge Ohio State fan… I watch every game , I would trade our entire draft to walk away with Young , Okudah and Dobbins …Love Young , really feel he is gone #2 and Quinn wont go get him …I would love to get my hands on Justin Simmons from Denver at Safety in a deal involving Slay …If we are going trade him .

Why are you so sure Quinn won’t move up one spot for the best player in the draft? Say he has to give up 1000 points in picks this year and next, especially if they add a pick from Slay? To me it’s a no brainer. Look at what Mack cost in a trade. The Lions could get Young much cheaper than that.

One scenario is that the Skins are not sold on Haskins and want one of the QBs. Well if they trade with Detroit, they still get their guy and extra picks to boot. Or they want Okudah or maybe another player. Trading with DET is attractive because they are still guaranteed to get their guy.

With the pressure on Quinntricia, if there is one player than can step in and help turn the tide on defense it’s Young, and they are THAT close. I know Quinn hasn’t shown he likes to move up in the first, but this year is different IMO.

Because I want Young so badly …It would make to much sense , The player I covet always goes a slot ahead of us . Nothing makes me believe this will change . Quinn also has a lot of work to do and the picks for the mastermind, are and will be his saving grace or downfall …I don’t see him parting with them

That’s just it. Quinn has to know the impact that Young would have for the Lions is worth far more than 2-3 lesser prospects, say a 2nd and 4th this year and a 2nd next year to move up one spot. If the Skins would take that I’d be all over it. If Slay is traded and they get a 2nd, it’s a total no-brainer. If Quinn has a “can’t do” mindset about landing Young, then I would say he should definitely be fired.

We can also hope and pray that some team offers a boatload of picks to WASH to get a QB. But I think Quinn has to be prepared to trade with the Skins, who could hold Young over them. I don’t want to get my hopes up, like you, but good things in this world tend to go to the people that make it happen. You have to have that attitude about Young IMO.

I agree on the impact he could have here … I’m not doing that deal & I love Young . Okudah would be a huge grab at #3 at position of huge need . For me and like I said above…I love Chase. I would Take Okudah and Dobbins over just Chase Young . Part of it stems from how I could see him being used here …Chase Young will look avg if we have him playing DE and rushing the passer from a 3-4 front rushing 3 . If we had Schwartz and Austin I go get him . Could you imagine what a Suh, Fairly, Ziggy & Young D-Line would have been able to do in that wide 9?

Hmmm, now that you mention it, what scheme was Undlin coaching in Philly? Could that have been a tell? Move Flowers to the closed side and start Young at RDE in a 4-3 front. Which is not to say you can’t mix it up a whole lot and keep much of the present scheme, moving the DL pieces around. If you listen to Patricia, he claims not to be married to any “base defense.”

I do NOT want to sell the farm to move up one spot. Chase Young or no Chase Young. If you trade Slay and spend the resources to get a DE, now you’ve got another problem. You’ve got to pay Slay money to compete with everyone for Byron Jones, who probably isn’t as good as Slay and only a little younger, or get a vet downgrade.

Then you start fishing for CB’s in the 2nd round or later. Good way to end up with a Melvin / Ford situation… I’d much rather trade down, let whoever blow their wad for Young if Washington wants out, then be able to nab a 1st round CB’s to throw in with AO, Coleman and the rest. Then you could still have another 1st round pick (Slay) and (2) 2nds and (2) 3rds. Plus the FA money Slay didn’t take up. I like that way better than Young and a lot less of that.

Disagree. How is that selling the farm? I don’t think those picks come close. Especially if Slay brings a 2nd. You only get so many chances to land a player like that. And, to me, those picks are peanuts in the grand scheme of things. You could sign Chris Harris for significantly less than Slay, and get pick for the latter. A real pass rush hides a lot of problems on the back end. I just can’t sit and watch every opposing QB have 5-10 seconds to find an open receiver. It’s sickening.

If we can’t get a mid round second or above, I offer Slay nothing and keep him on the team whether he plays or not. No extension, and let him sit AND let him know that you have every intention of franchising his ass next year if he wants to play hard ball. Want an extension? Fine, be reasonable or watch your career go up in flames. Every year that he goes forward w/o an extension or new contract he’s another year older and what he did in the past is simply a memory if he’s on the sideline.

1 Like

I think the Undlin hire would have more to do with an Okudah selection & being a target and Slay departing . I would love a move to a more 1 Gap attacking 4-3 …Patricia is not going to abandon his philosophy. Undlin will add a wrinkle , I could see Undlin mixing in a lot more Zone outside of the #1 & #2 CB positions…We need a chess piece at LB .