Our ballyhooed Oline not great protecting Goff

Neck and neck with the Rams for getting beat in pass protection according to ESPN and PFF

4 Likes

Interestingly, this has time to throw listed for the league. Goff has an average time to throw according to Next Gen

Pretty stark drop off too with the guard play. Ragnow is ranked 16th, Sewell 12th, and Decker 37th at their positions.

Brown 44th, Skipper 60th, and Stenberg 71 of 71.

3 Likes

The craziest thing about this offense being so good is they are doing it while getting almost nothing from their guard play. I still don’t understand how this offense has been so good

5 Likes

Ben Johnson deserves tremendous praise. That’s the guy you should be worried about losing.

Also, Goff actually is pretty good. I mean the guy has already orchestrated 2 offenses that finished top 3 in scoring (2017,2018). This isn’t new for him when he has the pieces. This could be his 3rd top 3 scoring offense all at the age of 28. Unfortunately for Goff, he’s playing in a era of flash. Which style points are rewarded more then productivity. At some point you think he’d get some recognition atleast.

As a Rams fan I’m very appreciative of Stafford. But to this day I’m still shocked we traded Goff. I don’t regret the trade obviously. But who knows in 5 or 10 years maybe we do?

11 Likes

Keying in on just Dallas and Jacksonville for a moment…
Their pass-rush win rate (per ESPN) is lowest in the league, yet PFF has them top-10.
Why such a difference and who do you trust more?

Personally, I favor win-rate over PFF grades, as I think it’s less subjective.

Hmmm…last year it was Stafford is great under pressure and Goff isn’t, now its flip-flopped… maybe WR’s matter more than even the O-line does?!

1 Like

You’d think that could be it, but then they put up 45 with WR 4/5/PS. I have no idea, but I’m going with the Ben Johnson theory above. Lol

3 Likes

And maybe Goff is actually good/smart enough to navigate not so good OL play and, dare I say, make guys better around him…gasp

5 Likes

Idk it depends on how they measure getting beat. I’ve seen Sewell get “beat” to the inside but he pushed the end into the jumble with the guards and defensive tackles. Goff just had to slide slightly right in the pocket. Do they consider that a loss for Sewell even though his guy didn’t really pressure Goff he just made him move a bit?

1 Like

While he’s playing with 4th and 5th stringers?

I think the evidence is continuing to mount that Goff is a pretty good quarterback when there’s some baseline competency around him. The narrative that he needs perfect protection and standout skill position players should be put to bed at this point.

I’ve said this before, but I think it bears repeating. Goff’s strength is that he’s a fantastic distributor who can execute the crap out of an offense. If the scheme is good and the receivers are where they are expected to be, he’s going to inflict some damage on a defense, even with replacement-level receivers. In the present case, I think the scheme is really good, and I think Jamo’s blend of speed and crisp routes are going to take it to another level.

9 Likes

Switching his feet up in the off season seems to have given him some mobility in the pocket. He really does throw a good ball as well.

3 Likes

Some were complaining about Goff’s completion rate after game two … and my counter was that he had very little time to throw. This graph somewhat supports that theory.

Goff has been coached well this year. He is getting the ball out, and not worried about an incomplete pass here and there. Much better than when he would hold on to it too long, resulting in drive killing sack/fumble.

2 Likes

We’re bagging on AG because of the defenses shortcomings. Maybe we should be praising Ben Johnson even more.

3 Likes

The problem is that you can’f spell praise without raise

2 Likes

Not to mention, if you take away the dropped passes (at least in the first game) that his completion % would have been around 70%.

Ready?
Jared Goff. He’s the only common denominator over 4 weeks.

4 Likes

AND the Lions are among the league leaders in drops.

2 Likes

Lions rank third in most dropped passes

4 Likes

I know it’s a uncomfortable and unpopular discussion. But what do you when a team tries to hire Johnson away? He very well and mostly might be the better coach.

Personally, I’d be hard pressed to keep Campbell over Johnson.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that there aren’t going to be lines of organizations excited to hire a one-year wonder off of a bad team to be their head man.

If/when that happens, next man up, hopefully. I’m just not sure how I’ll feel about an offensive coordinator named “Tanner”. Did his parents not realize he’d eventually be an adult man?

2 Likes