Our future is drafting Trey Lance

Not stuck at all. Sure, they’d carry 19 mil of dead money on the books but it would still be a cap savings of 14 mil for the Lions. In that regard, the team can absolutely afford to ship him.

On the contract side of things that the trade partner absorbs, it’s only 20 and 23 mil for 2021 and 2022.

How much does that get you in a trade for magic beans? I don’t know. His contract is not cost-prohibitive after this season, though.

1 Like

If history is any indication, the draft will go something like this:

There are three top QB’s and we pick, say 10th. But the third of the three QB’s goes to the team ahead of us, with the ninth selection. We make no effort to move up. We make no effort to move down. We pick another LB that we could have gotten in the third round. SOL.

2 Likes

Yeah I know. But it’ll be a new regime! New GM, new coach. Those guys will finally get it right… Right?
:confused:

1 Like

Yep. And if we win to many games and move to far down in draft order, you use that pick and others to move up and guarantee you get your guy.

1 Like

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I suppose the questions GMs would ask is whether those numbers through 8 games this season you have posted are reflective of the player or is last years 8 game sample more reflective of his ceiling.

The answer is probably somewhere in the middle.

2 Likes

Can anyone see Stafford leading us to a deep playoff run in 2021? Or, even less likely, 2022 or beyond. Its over. Matt had his chance. Hate to say it, but yeah, I’d take a seocnd rounder if it wasn’t Qunitricia picking.

I made this point in another thread. I’m not sold he goes as high as people are projecting.

His resume is short and level of competition is low.

I wouldn’t be shocked if he chose to stay in school for another year.

I’d rather have Wilson

I’ve been pretty vocal about my love for Lance, he’s who I’d want after Lawrence is taken #1OA

2 Likes

Idk, he’s playing really well, he’s pretty, he’s the Morman Manziel!
His release is pretty damn quick.

75% completions, 22 TD’s, only 2 interceptions

I agree he looks great but … you do not see a lot of small school QB’s go that high and the ones who do generally have had at least 3-4 years in school. In fact … in the last decade only 9 small school QB’s have been drafted period.

But on the flip side Carson Wentz came from the same school and went 2OA. But he also played 4 years of college ball too. Also Easton Stick went round 5 and he also came from the same school. He also had 4 years of college ball. NDSU has manage to get two drafted and it’s obvious Lance will get drafted too. So that’s 3 of the last 10 small school QB’s came from that program. That’s pretty impressive.

You consider BYU a “small school”?

I agree that NDSU is an impressive program for a school way out in no-man’s land.
They kind of remind me of Grand Valley State University back when Kelly was coaching them.

A couple of scenarios
If the Broncos offered Drew Lock and a couple of day three picks for Stafford would you take it?

Would you trade Stafford for a 2nd and 3rd rounder and take Sam Darnold for the same second and a day three pick the following year? In essence swap Stafford for Darnold and an extra 3rd round pick

Isn’t that what you guys said about Caldwell, you don’t see him winning, so you fired the only winning coach we had. For better but it wasn’t better it was much much worse. Now you wanna take the only good QB we had in 4 decades and replace him with a rookie with a team that has been unable to win a single game with out Stafford. And defense that’s the worst in nfl history. And that’s your plan. Geez I think we seen that about 20 times in my life time. Well then we will be back to same ole Lions. And when the rookie fails it will be because of the ford’s incompetents . But see now it’s not copying the Patriots now it’s the new fad to draft a young QB with rookie pay scale. It work for a couple teams so of course thats the thing fans want to copy. This plan will take us back wards again. And probably waste another QB by putting him in the worst position possible.

Before you worry about the next QB you should fix the defense and the rest of the team. To put a young QB in this position is exactly Lions like. And it the end it will be the fords did it. Back to fans getting what they ask for. For every mahomes there’s 10 Trubisky s

1 Like

I am going to say the Lions will draft a player that is not eligible for the draft.

No - They actually play against some top level teams. But I wasn’t talking about BYU at all.

I was talking about Trey Lance and NDSU being a small school.

Stafford is way better than Darnold.

1 Like

Unfortunately for the Lions, there aren’t a lot of teams that are going to trade for a veteran QB.
Teams that are bad aren’t going to trade for a middling QB and are not going to trade a high draft pick for him anyway, and most teams that are good don’t need a QB. Most teams have a QB under contract for the next few years for big money and they aren’t going to pay 2 guys. Even if some team evaluates him as a top 10 QB, is he that much of an improvement over the guy they have now. Is it worth trading draft capital for him? If you are a team that is not going anywhere, what is the point of trading for him instead of just getting a young guy out there?
It isn’t as simple as saying “He is better than QB X so this team is going to send a bundle of draft picks for him.” It has to work contract wise too.

Crazy isn’t it and Darnold isn’t even close to the player that Stafford is.

All you have to do is look at how long CHI has been trying to find a QB to realize just how hard it is.

1 Like

With five likely first round QBs, the desire for a team to trade for a quarterback probably goes way down. Which teams need QBs at the moment?

Jets
Bears
Team
Jags
Pats

And which of these ends up drafting before us