OUR LATEST SURPRISE @2OA

I’m okay with this!

Mock draft watch: Something new at No. 2 in Touchdown Wire’s latest projections (msn.com)
In the latest updated projections from Touchdown Wire and analyst Mark Schofield, the Lions go in a very different direction at the top. Instead of pass rusher or quarterback, this mock draft chooses to build up the weakest position on the defensive side of the ball: safety. With the No. 2 overall pick, it’s Kyle Hamilton from Notre Dame.

As Schofield explains,

A safety with the second-overall selection? When we are talking about perhaps the best football player in the class, it makes sense. While the Detroit Lions have a need at quarterback, there is no need to force a player at that position this early, given this class. Kyle Hamilton is an elite talent that can play in a few different roles, whether as a pure free safety, down in the box, a half-field safety, or in man coverage against mismatch-type players.

While there’s a case to be made for the selection, anyone who prefaces it with “While the Detroit Lions have a need at quarterback” doesn’t have the credibility to make it.

8 Likes

If people think Goff is the answer at QB, see Sean McVay.

4 Likes

If a team needs to have a Stafford-caliber quarterback to be considered set at QB by this clown, then all but a handful of teams have a “need at quarterback”.

3 Likes

Taking Hamilton seems like a Lions pick to me. We love to draft position groups higher than they traditionally go.

I agree safety is a need and Hamilton would shore up the group. He’s a stud too and I am a firm believer in grabbing difference makers.

But edge is a need too. ROkwara is coming off injury and Flowers is likely a cap casualty.

Not to mention the Rams always found Safeties in the later rounds.

Hutch is the likely pick if you ask me. Now if Hutch is gone and we trade down a few spots then Hamilton is definitely in play.

6 Likes

They are not alone in their analysis.
There are a LOT of outlets you can dismiss this year based on that criteria.

I think it’s wise to dismiss the vast majority of national coverage regarding the Lions. The ratio of knowledge to hot takes in that group is horrifyingly low.

2 Likes

While I wholeheartedly agree, I also realize the actual base is split on this.

Much of the base was also adamant that Stafford wasn’t good enough.

1 Like

A very vocal minority at the very least, but point taken.

2 Likes

Hate the idea. First i think Hamilton is vastly overrated and wont even be the best S from this class. Second, its a low impact position to be drafted so high. Worse than another top 10 TE.

5 Likes

Need premium heat off the edge.

That will change our team most, assuming we’re agreed there isn’t a franchise- altering QB. (I bet those who passed on Herbert- including the Lions, didn’t consider Herbert a franchise- altering QB.). But I digress.

Next year Brad and Danny will need to add their masterstroke to the rebuild by adding their chosen QB of the future to the roster. Is that Goff? Maybe, but probably not. Is Goff good enough to take a good team to the playoffs? Probably. But he likely will never take a good team to the Super Bowl, and he probably won’t ever take a mediocre team beyond mediocrity.

If Brad Holmes does his job exceedingly well this Spring and adds a couple of top contributors through FA and 2-3 through the draft, then a 2023 QB addition would be stepping into an ascending team that’s ripe for major steps forward.

Even if that 2023 rookie QB weren’t playing until midway through his first season, he would likely be a guy with the X factor Goff doesn’t possess- the ability to extend plays with his feet and create game altering situations with raw talent. Think Lamar Jackson, Mahomes, Rodgers, Josh Allen, DeShaun Watson, Russell Wilson, even Burrow to an extent. That certain something, a swag all the other guys play up to.

Primary question is whether Brad can hold his water and wait one more year. (He did not hold that water in trades for Trinity Benson & Derrick Barnes.) He also reportedly attempted to trade up last year to get Sewell whom we got anyway. So that would’ve been wasted picks. (I don’t know that they’d have ever admitted it, but that trade up ahead of Cinci might have been for JaMarr Chase). But that’s pure speculation.

Holmes needs to let this rebuild play out, execute the basics of talent acquisition 101 and add difference makers. There are no shortcuts. Construct the team, then aggressively trade up in 2023 for a young guy with superstar potential at the game’s most important position- preferably Bryce Young.

2 Likes

They need to take a top 2 player from this draft at 2. I could care less who it is or what position they play.

3 Likes

This. They have enough competent depth. They need 4 playmakers to move them past mediocre. 2 more to SB contender. One of the 6 has to be a QB IMO. Goff isnt bad, but he is not a Playmaker

Grumpy Cat No GIF by Internet Cat Video Festival

There’s a much greater talent deficit on this roster at Safety vice edge rusher… bring back C Harris and the Okwara brothers and that is a great position base… much better value picking up one the 2nd tier edge guys like Enigbare, Ebiketie, or Mafe… Hamilton’s film looks very good, like Polamolu type good, could be a game changer…

I completely agree with you! People have fallen in love with his size which I get but Brisker, Hill, Cine, and Battle will definitely be better playerd

Who cares where the player is ranked pre draft, what matters is what they do in the NFL.

2 Likes

Polamalu… 29 TFLs in 36 college games.
Hamilton… 7.5 TFLs in 31 college games.

3 Likes

Mercy my man…that was my initial response as well.

I think we need a better back up and/or a QB to develop. I like the Goff that we saw at the end of the season, but I have no compunction about putting someone on his six. I’m a firm beliver in competition brings out the best…guys just seem to find another gear when someone is pressing them.