Patriots TRADE Stephon Gilmore (updated)

Not sure about that when you consider the Rodgers drama going forward and that Gilmore will probably be pushing for an extension as part of any signing. Why sign there when Rodgers is gone KC would be a better fit and then TB due to connections.

Patriots Trade Stephon Gilmore To Panthers

October 6th, 2021 at 12:30pm CST by Zachary Links

The Patriots have traded cornerback Stephon Gilmore to the Panthers. In exchange, the Panthers will send a 2023 sixth-rounder to New England.

Gilmore was set to be released by the Patriots, but Bill Belichick & Co. managed to find a trade instead. The 31-year-old will now help replace first-round pick Jaycee Horn , who is out with a broken foot. Gilmore, the 2019 Associated Press NFL Defensive Player of the Year, now headlines a Panthers CB group with Donte Jackson , former top-10 pick C.J. Henderson , A.J. Bouye , and Rashaan Melvin .

Gilmore will be eligible to play after Week 6, pending the status of his quad injury. That means he could debut as soon as Week 7, when the Panthers face the Giants in New Jersey.

And THAT’S why you leak someone is being released. If you don’t get offers (looking at you Collins and Smith), it’s because the salary and/or player are simply of no interest to anyone else.

The achilles of their secondary.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t you leak that the team is exploring trade options rather than releasing him? The whole thing is strange IMO.

1 Like

That’s the way it goes.

I would imagine a GM would first talk to other GMs that he’s got a good relationship with and create some buzz about the player, then put a general notice out there… chum the waters. Announcing a release is like a Buy Now button in an online auction. Snooze or lose at that point.

This I agree 100% give the credit to the coaches.

2 Likes

Oh shit we’re going all in! “All your corners are belong to us.”
Nfl GIF by Carolina Panthers

Well…if ya listen to some posters here… Holmes and Campbell mishandled the Collins situation by announcing they would trade him… and that is why they didn’t get any offers for him. :roll_eyes:

The Californians Reaction GIF

6 Likes

Its almost like people just wait until something happens, then declare that another way would have been the better route…regardless of whether it contradicts something else they’ve already said. :joy:

5 Likes

Nobody was going to trade for Collins. He’s been a below average linebacker for everyone except the Patriots. I wish we could have gotten anything for him.

Agreed… I was hoping that Desparate Dave would send 1 of the Giants 2 picks in 7th round for him since Martinez tore his ACL right before we released Collins… and Joe Judge was in New England when Collins was there… but was not confident it would happen.

I was really just pointing out that there were people who actually thought Holmes mishandled the Collins situation and called it an “amateur move”.

The amateur move would have been hanging on to Collins because of his cap number. I love that this staff and front office has no problem calling players out or getting rid of them if they’re just going through the motions to collect a paycheck.

5 Likes

Man, your hate for Dan is for real.

What does Dan have to to with it, just like always right over your head. Read down alittle I say how the coaches deserves the credit not Holmes. For the development of Parker and Price.

You should just stop telling poster what they think all the time.

1 Like

I’m sorry, your hate for Dan and Holmes. I thought one name and typed the other.

Price and the Revolution!

the revolution prince GIF

2 Likes

Reminds me of this time urban Meyers was doing this with a young blonde?!

1 Like

I guarantee it wasn’t the first time… it’s just the first time he got caught.

I’m guessing the trade market for Gilmore must have been very sparse. The Panthers have tons of cap space and wanted him pretty bad. But even they only gave up a 2023 6th round pick going by reports. The Panthers immediately released a “welcome home” video for Gilmore. He went to U of South Carolina which is an hour away from the Panthers. But that was actually farther away than he grew up in Rock Hill. I don’t know what the Detroit and Ford Field comparison would be. But I would love to hear people who know of high school’s that are 20-25 minutes outside of Detroit/Ford Field.

Other than need…that’s how the Panthers viewed this trade. A coming home party. For the Lions I don’t think the deal made sense, particularly since he’s looking for a long term financial committment. And at the same time I hope we spend the next few years rejecting everyting “Patriots.” Our guys probably have “Patriot Way” PTSD and any time a new coach or player comes in and says “when I was with the Pats this is how we did it,” our players who went thru the Patricia and Quinn error are going to cringe.

1 Like

More random “human” stuff about the Gilmore trade that I didn’t know. Stephon’s wife is from Charlotte and her dad is a season ticket holder for the Panthers.

1 Like