Perfect Storm is Brewing

1 Like

Winning games in 2020 will have zero to do with drafting a QB, trade down or not. So it ain’t happening. By all appearances Stafford has several more quality years in the NFL. Try selling Martha on using the pick for a QB. And yes, owners just about every team will be apprised on their GM’s draft strategy. To think otherwise is to lose sight that the NFL is a business, and even more or less hand’s off owners like the Fords will be clued in on the overall direction of the draft. And for DET, that does not include a new franchise QB. So the question remains, how to bring in as much cheap young talent as possible that correlates by and large to team needs? A trade down and an instant impact player has to be job #1 for Quinn.

1 Like

I agree as well …Can we be sure Quinn and Patrica are in a win now mandate ? I’m not so sure , I lean the other way .
Wanting Herbert is about value this low & not wanting him because he would supplant Stafford in 2020 or even 21, 22…
Rodgers sat and did not start a game until his fourth year in the league . This to me is the right way to do it.
Rodgers got like $8 Million to sit and weight, the cost now at #5 earlier in the draft is more, but 15 years later the money to sit and learn and wait in comparison is closer .

I don’t see the Lions as being in a place where they think having the heir apparent is more important than fielding a team that fits Patricia’s vision here and now. If they draft Herbert and win only a handful of games, then what? This year? Just win baby. Adding Okudah or Brown and adding picks has got to be their priority. I just can’t imagine a conversation between Quinn and Martha that goes, “Hey we’re set on drafting Herbert to start in future years while we pay Stafford 20 plus million. And don’t worry, we think we’ve done enough in free agency to ensure the D won’t suck balls in 2020. We’re all set. We can add some guys later in the draft and we’ll be in great shape.”

1 Like

I see it your way …I hope you are right . That is very much what I want in this draft give me guys that help this team now .

And with Patricia and Quinn having a connection with both coaches, this could work in our favor to have the Giants and Dolphins end up in a bidding war for #3 in order to secure the #1 OT.

1 Like

I’m not saying it’s impossible they go Herbert, I just can’t see it. If they have the nads to say look Martha, we’re going to do what we think is best for the team’s long term interests and we think that’s getting the QB for the next decade, then good on them. But if they are confident that Stafford will be healthy over the next few years, then they should improve the D as best they can. The offense only needs a couple or three pieces that can be filled later in this draft (say OG/OT, RB, a WR). The D needs difference makers. The bottom line is, if the Quinntricia regime fails, they’ll be in position to draft a QB in coming years anyway.

This OT talk reinforces the view that Tua will “fall”
Applying the old “availability is the first ability” axiom, it gets easy to see him fall “Rogers style”
I like the thought that both the Dolphins and Giants may covet the same OT

I think we’re all desperate for the trade down
And it appears to be the right move, even assuming less than optimal compensation

Well this sure makes for exciting news at a much needed time.

Good, drive up the price. Tell everyone who’s willing to listen that all these OTs are future All-Pros. Get that extra 2nd or maybe even squeeze a first out of somebody.

Pretty sure I heard Bobby say that he would likely make a trade before the draft started as well, could make for a pretty exciting 24 hours!

No. I want to win games this year.

Who are these sources? And if they aren’t from Miami it is simply just BS as is typical for this time of the year.

The sources are posted throughout the thread. Yeah, it’s probably BS but what else is there to talk about?

The sources are a bunch of other dudes on the internet that think Miami is going to move up. One guy says it, another one repeats it and then some other person claims there are sources claiming that so and so is moving up. It’s just click bait

Some of them are insiders, not just some random dudes on the internet. It doesn’t mean a trade is going to happen or even likely however.

Dolphins trying to get 3 without giving up 5

1 Like

If they are able to swindle Quin into not getting the #5 pick he should be fired Fri!

Some of them are obviously just opinions and speculation from NFL writers, draftniks, etc.

But, some of them are reporters with sources.

I’d listen, if they are willing to give up a shit ton of picks to do it. They have the ammo. They would need to cough it up.

No way no how you even look at 18 26 and a second for 3

We’re potentially back to this. Makes you wonder whether Schrager knew something.

Continuing the discussion from Pete Schrager posed a draft trade question to Lions fans:

No. 3 & 109 for Nos. 18, 26, 39 & 56, yes.