Peyton and Eli Show Week 2

Guest lineup tonight has been announced. PAT MCAFEE IS ON!!!

2 Likes

We got one guy on the show on our side!!!

2 Likes

I didn’t catch it live but watched some on YouTube. I dug it alot. I’ll be tuning into them tonight

The style is nice too. They had a few “try hard” moments but other than that it was just some dudes who happen to know more about football than others, casually taking in a game and commenting on it.

2 Likes

Watched some of it last week and was unimpressed. But it recieved some good reviews so I’ll give it more air time in my man cave tonight.

First guest Farve…May have to pass on that segment.

What part did you watch? For me it was like alot of new shows. They came in with some ideas and wanted to try some things, but they didn’t really seem to find their groove until Ray Lewis came on. When Russell Wilson came on to close things out they were in their element as well.

But it might not be to your liking. Its a different concept that’s not for everyone. The idea of some football dudes sitting around talking about football and only loosely talking about the game is definitely not something for everybody.

I missed all the guest segments. Need to really give it fair shot tonight. Especially if the network swings into a Rodgers blowfest.

I liked hearing what they’re seeing. Really cool. Also thought when Ray Lewis and Wilson were on the commentary and stories was awesome.

Here’s another “perspective” contrast from the Manning telecast vs the main one. There was a play where Lamar dropped back and threw the ball out to the flats, where the RB picked up some yards after the grab. On the main telecast they appeared to point downfield and say something like “this is where Lamar wants to go with the ball. But he see’s he’s covered so he smartly dumps it off.” The Manning version had a different take. They agreed on a version of “as soon as Lamar see’s the coverage he already knows he’s going to the swing route that’s open. All he’s doing in his drop back is pretending to look down field to buy a little time so that the back has more room to run once he catches the ball. Then he turns and fires.”

I would LOVE to hear Lamar’s take on what was actually going on. Because those are definitely different takes.

4 Likes

It was great when they were talking about the game they were watching. They have some insights other commentators have no clue about. When the guests are on they need to talk more about the game being played. But some spots you see they have nothing to say. Lol

So Peyton said something about Goff during the telecast…and today on the Pat McAfee show Aaron Rodgers co-signed on it. Let me break it down. And for anyone that doesn’t already know, Aaron Rodgers is on the Pat McAfee show in a regular spot every week. And of course Pat McAfee was on the Manning telecast as a guest this week.

Peyton was pointing out that Goff was getting a number called in his ear and then looking down at his wrist band to call the play. Peyton said his goal was get rid of the wrist band, because hearing a number and reading off of a wristband is a different experience than hearing an actual playcall and then saying it to your team. Peyton said when he knew an offense and could hear the actual play call, he could visualize the play as it came in his ear. Then when he was walking up to the line of scrimmage he was thinking about adjustments and other advanced things before they got completely lined up. So Peyton said something like “its important that Goff gets to a place in this offense where he can ditch the arm band.”

On the Pat McAfee show Aaron Rodgers co-signed on the concept. He said the same thing happens to him. When he hears an actual playcall he envisions it as it comes into the headset. He said as he hears the play he instantly gets flashbacks of practice reps and other game situations of the same playcall. Then when he starts heading to the LOS he spends that time thinking about adjustments and pressure points. He said when he’s reading from a wristband he feels a step behind. He’s not able to envision the playcall until he’s walking up to the LOS, where he used to be already beyond that point and thinking about adjustments and pressure points of the play. He said Lafluer runs a very wordy offense so he still uses his wristband so he still experiences it. He said with McCarthy…they used to get playcalls to be under a certain number of words so that only the most wordy plays required a wrist band to repeat.

Aaron said the benefit of the OC just calling out a number is that you always get the real playcall…right as he says it. When you hear the actual playcall there are alot of times where you miss something (because you are human)…the transmission system breaks up parts of it…or the coach sending in the call does something like start talking before the signal picks up or says something after the singal is cut off. Now you have an incomplete playcall where as a young QB you might repeat to the huddle and get some blank stares…or you ask the coach to repeat which wastes tons of time…or you just fill in the blanks yourself and hope you are right.

3 Likes

I liked Peyton also said Goff could be a good QB. He’s good enough.

1 Like