Pick one to extend: Slay or Snacks

If you had to pick one … who would it be?

For whatever reason, the board didn’t like my formatting, so the poll is below.

• Slay
  • Snacks

0 voters

I’m pretty sure my post is hidden until you vote so I can explain my pick.

I think a top notch CB is harder to find then a top notch DT. My only worry was that Slay is older but it seems every year there are 3-4 DT’s in the draft that are already at solid+ NFL starter level and ready to go where it seems you either draft a rookie CB and let him get his ass handed to him or you sit them for a couple years and they finally start looking good.

Ideally we can extend them both and solidify both ends of our defense for a few years.

1 Like

Picked Slay, only because its harder to find an elite CB.

2 Likes

I went snacks for a couple of reasons. Nothing against Slay, as he’s been great for us. But corners are much more expensive and a great many corners tend to fall off a cliff in their early 30s. Not all, but a good majority of them do. Space eating DT who are good against the run tend to last a bit longer and I wouldn’t be shocked if he’s productive for the next 4 years. Slay had a down year last season…has he peaked? Is he a square peg in the Patricia defense? So many questions right now concerning Slay and it has me a little worried. Snacks in the other hand was fantastic after coming over from the Giants, a true plug and play. I probably won’t have much support in this, but it’s just how I see it.

3 Likes

Snacks isn’t an every down DT. So I would extend Slay if it were a choice.

Slay would be my vote, but Harrison deserves a rework and an extension but due to his age probably not. Still I brought this up before Snacks said anything and the board was tantamountally against it. Out performing his contract was considered stupid to make an adjustment acknowledging the effort. Now you got two defensive standouts staying at home instead of attending OTA’s.

I went with Slay, but you made some good points about Harrison. It would be a very tough call if we had to choose one over the other.

which influences the opposing passing game more, pressure on the QB or a CB? I’ve seen slay get picked on and have passes completed against him. nature of the beast because the QB had time for the WR to get in position. The DL makes the secondary better. IMO.

1 Like

I feel like a great DL impacts the game more than Great secondary player. I’ll build trenches first every time, if the players are of comparable talent.

Slay will be 30 by the time his contract is up. I could see the Lions doing him dirty and having him play out his contract, franchising him for 1 year, then letting him go when his play has fallen off a cliff and he won’t ever get another big extension.

Snacks will be 32 by the end of his deal but his type of play could hold up until he’s 35.

Both guys bring swagger and character to the team. I love Slay. Probably my favorite DB ever for the Lions, just ahead of Dre Bly. Darius cracks me up every time I see his interviews.

1 Like

That’s because you never saw Lem Barney play.

1 Like

Thanks for making me feel young again. I don’t get that feeling very often these days. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Slay on franchise makes sense. He may sit out though…

2 Likes

Bofem

2 Likes

Nope!
Slay if I have to, but, no.

1 Like

Slay… But both making decent coin for their play and position. Each may need an extra mill or two per year to make them happy, but we won’t be breaking the bank on either extension.

Harrison outplayed his contract last year. Slay did not. Slay signed with us, Harrison did not. Re-working Slay is bad precedent, moving guarantees into Harrison’s contract is not.
My point is Slay got a good deal he was happy with from this management team. I am sure there were incentives in his contract his agent negotiated. But what do you say to everyone else who worked hard?

1 Like

Definitely Snacks needs a raise sooner than Slay.$7M for a difference making DT?

Lock. Him. Up.

3 Likes

Slay worries me a little. He didn’t have a great year. And next year he will be almost 30. Let’s see what he brings this year

If I had to extend one right now I’d go with Snacks

1 Like