Play Action Bootlegs

Anybody else notice how effective we were with that today. We went to it quite a few times

That only works if your run game has at least a little respect. KJ and Ty had some nice runs. Ty is fast

2 Likes

It does kinda freeze the pass rush for a bit. Plus Stafford can keep going out of the tackle box and throw it away without a grounding penalty if he has to. Or take off and maybe get a few rushing yards. Gotta be better than standing back there like a sitting duck and getting clocked. But that boy has to learn how to slide, how hard can it be?

1 Like

I hear you. You guys see the one where he turned out to bootleg and the DE was right there in his face bearing down on him…and Matt jumped to the side and side armed it to our guy?

I thought Matt was gonna get pasted. Great play by Matt

I love us picking the right spot and running the zone read option…like once a game.

And YES…slide for Gods Sake Matt! .

Ty is going to be a beast!

2 Likes

I think both Johnson’s are gonna be

1 Like

Think about KC 2 years ago. I’m beginning to think we can compete with anyone.

1 Like

If we can clean up the penalties that would help us significantly

2 Likes

Exactly what I thought, then in the replay I thought Matt was going into a slide but a defender hit him from behind kinda holding him upright. So matt turned his shoulder into the tackle coming from the front.
Not saying the flag shouldn’t have been picked up, but if anybody has that replay check it out and see if I am seeing it right or wrong.

2 Likes

I also noticed Stafford’s play action fakes are getting better.

3 Likes

You can see a little bit of Seattle’s old offense here. Staffords doesn’t have Wilson’s wheels, but it’s nice to see a more multi-dimensional offense

2 Likes

I love it. It’s one of those plays which plays up Stafford’s off platform throw virtuosity, which IMO is one of his unique talents.

2 Likes

I remember reading that Wilson went to every huddle with the option of running five plays depending on what looks the defense showed.

I wonder if Stafford has the same ability

1 Like

Matt had time to do more fakes, today. Looking off defenders more. The 36 yard TD to KJ was a nice little bit of trickery, along with some good downfield blocking.

3 Likes

I think its funny looking back at Baldinger’s criticism of the Lions preseason. Remember when he ragged on us for running a read option with Johnson, saying it was a complete waste of a play because you’d never run something like that in the regular season?

1 Like

We have run it once per game that we know of

We wouldn’t know for sure by looking if Stafford hands it off, but when he keeps it you do

And both times Stafford kept it he read it perfectly and it went for good yards

I just want Stafford to slide if they run it unless it is a game critical play and the last 2 yards are game critical

I don’t want Stafford to get RG3’ed

2 Likes