Police issue arrest warrant for Browns' Odell Beckham Jr

Assaulting a woman and giving a powetripping cop with a badge and a gun a slap on the ass are hardly the same. This guy originally wanted a “sexual battery” charge before the judge laughed him out of chambers.

1 Like

I think that might be going a little bit far, but I do see some validity behind the point you’re making.

I just think those kids were having fun celebrating and that officer couldn’t wait to spoil the party, likely for obvious reasons that none of us are saying out loud. As a result, there was a bit of a conflict that resulted in him being gently slapped on the tush. All in all, not a huge deal, but it’s become one.

There’s the other mentality as well. Special circumstances, such as winning the NCAA championship, does not entitle the players to enjoy victory cigars in the locker room because it’s illegal to smoke in the locker room. The cop was upholding the law. It’s illegal to place your hands on an officer (typically meaning to attack an officer in any way). OBJ “placed his hand” on the officer, which is illegal, so OBJ is responsible for that as well and must suffer the consequences for doing so.

I get that. It’s a fair point, absolutely.

For me, it’s this simple though.

I want this to be a world where kids who just won the national championship can enjoy a victory cigar in the locker room while the police turn a temporary blind eye and make sure the place doesn’t burn down.

I don’t want this to be a world where kids who just won the national championship can’t enjoy a victory cigar because if they were allowed to bend the rules for that moment then they might bend other rules at other moments later in life.

If we, as human beings, can’t identify those special moments and not abuse them and turn them into larger acts of inappropriate entitlement, then I guess we need to live in the world where we can’t have nice things because someone might turn out to be a turd. That bums me out…but maybe it’s the way it needs to be for the reasons you pointed out.

2 Likes

I do believe that if I was the officer on duty that night that I could have gotten everyone out of there without any officers being touched, any stare downs happening, any confrontations, any arrest warrants being issued, any lawsuits, or other problems all while keeping the super dome in one piece.

Instead, we now have what we have. Lawsuits, arrest warrants, and a greater divide. What’s worse? I don’t know I guess.

I think Radio is closest to being on the mark here. Usually it takes two morons to escalate a situation. The security guy should have let the kids have their fun and OBJ clearly stepped over a line.

That it becomes THIS big a deal is completely absurd and shows that the security guy is a little dink that probably is looking for some easy cash :moneybag:

Ridiculous behaviour on both sides

I think it’s fair to view the over-bearing security guy as the culprit. If he hadn’t acted like a dink his butt wouldn’t have been slapped. Sometimes all you want to do with dinks is slap them.

3 Likes

I’m sorry, but, that was assault. Totally un-prevoked and very nearly sexual (I’ll bet her husband and father think it was).
If I’m her father, husband, or brother, I’m kicking that guy’s ass.

1 Like

It’s her fault
She shouldn’t have been standing there. :crazy_face:

Yeah, she shouldn’t have such a nice ass in public, right?

I didn’t say it was the same, I said it’s the small transgressions by entitled people that lead to worse behavior in the future.

I agree with all of your points, the officer was doing his job, the kids should be allowed a little leeway, there’s a grey area there. BUT, there’s no grey area in someone walking up behind an officer trying to do their job, winding up, and smacking him on the ass and then have a “what are you gonna do” face afterwards. OBJ was out of bounds, I’m glad he’s going to have consequences.

2 Likes

Yep, agreed - he was out of line.

What caused him to do that though? Was he spanking and staring down anyone else not acting like a douche?

All of this could have been avoided by both parties being a little bit smarter and having a little more awareness.

1 Like

My guess is alcohol and entitlement.

Yeah, I mean, you just don’t hit people like that. Very simple. The story goes from, wow, that cop was being a dick, to I hit the cop and now I’m going to be arrested.

1 Like

So, alcohol and entitlement were parts of OBJ’s mistake equation. We agree there.

How about the cop? Nothing? He did everything perfectly? His actions were solid and it’s all on OBJ?

I’m not buying that for a minute. Act like an asshole, get treated like one. If OBJ needs to smarten up and do better than so does the cop, who’s decisions and behavior arguably caused the entire situation.

He was enforcing a smoking ban. Perhaps being a dick about it, especially under the circumstances, but that doesn’t mean he should be smacked by an onlooker. I mean, people are supposed to be taught to keep their hands to themselves in kindergarten.

1 Like

Fair enough.

I think I’ll just agree to disagree here. You guys aren’t wrong, that’s for sure.

1 Like

Ah, if we could just agree to disgree as a matter of course, and leave it at that, this world would be a much better place.

1 Like

Indeed. People don’t always see eye to eye, and that’s ok.

I’m not over here thinking you guys are “idiots” or “assholes” by any means lol. Just a difference in perspective. I think we all want similar things, ultimately. We want police to utilize their authority appropriately and there are bound to be some disagreements on what that means. We want people to treat police with respect and act appropriately, and I’m sure there are disagreements on what that means as well.

Life is full of gray area. It’s hard for me to hate someone or think they are an idiot for seeing different shades of gray than myself on any particular topic.

2 Likes

Here’s how it’s actually gonna play out:

1. OBJ maybe pays a fine, maybe just a letter of apology (New Orleans isn’t Baton Rouge, but it is still very very much an LSU town and no prosecutor wants to deal with this.) Judges and prosecutors are elected in Louisiana and boy do they love college football down there. If the prosecutor loses his or her mind and wants a trial, OBJ claims it to a jury and let’s the cop try his luck in front of an Orleans Parish jury full of people who already have a dim view of the NOPD, look a lot like OBJ and love LSU.

2. The civil suit results in a tiny, miniscule, absolutely itty bitty settlement (if it was more than $10k I’d be shocked) as there are virtually no damages and cop’s lawyer takes most of it (1/3 of the award and recoups any filing or discovery costs). If cop gets greedy, OBJ claims it to a jury and let’s the cop try his luck in front of an Orleans Parish jury full of people who already have a dim view of the NOPD, look a lot like OBJ and, again, love LSU.

3. The cop never gets hired for a Super Dome, Smoothie King or Tulane Stadium detail again, costing him thousands of lost wages. He also will likely not be hired for any of the major Krewe details during carnival as the ability to look the other way is ESSENTIAL to that post and this guy seems incapable of it.

4. OBJ keeps his job and gets a new contract when he wants one. Tyreek Hill admitted to beating his child and threatened his baby mama ON TAPE and is doing juuuuuuuuuuuuuust fine.

That was 50 years ago, OBJ gets a wood shampoo. Ahhh, The South.

2 dipshits make news.

It is simple battery, period. Guilty. Pay the fine, write the letter and if LSU has any semblance of upholding respectful behavior, ban the both dipshits from campus/contact for a couple years.

Security dude who is wound waaayyy too tight will lose gigs, but I guarantee some good ol boy subset will idolize him and keep him working

1 Like

I’m middle ground on this one… OBJ has done/said some dumb shit before. But he was probably just having a good time and trying to lighten the mood… Only he went about it the wrong way! Lol

Now the cop/guard guy, likely in a serious state of mind as he deals with something that is against stadium policy that said no smoking, is suddenly blind-sided by a swat to his backside - he was probably startled a bit as they’re trained to not tolerate being struck and be ready to defend themselves.

Security/overreaction given the situation? Maybe but sort of understandable given his training/authority

OBJ wrong thing to do to lighten up the mood of a security guy? Probably but sort of understandable given his state of mind.

They certainly misread each other! Lol