Poll: Should Lions fire Dan Campbell after loss to Bills

:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::laughing::laughing::laughing::grinning::grinning::grinning:
Winning changes everythingā€¦
Even when we donā€™t win.
We all see the improvement. Imagine when they get healthy!

3 Likes

I saw this as a 7-8 win team when the season started, but-

1. We still donā€™t have Jamo or Romeo, lost Big V, Levi, and Walker immediatelyā€¦ and this weā€™ve been playing without 25% of our intended roster all but 2 gamesā€¦. Thatā€™s not factoring losing Jackson, Rags, Swift, Reynolds, Saint, Paschal, Okudah, Joseph, and Elliott at times tooā€¦.

2. We have played better against elite teams than I would have expected, which is great, but made bonehead coaching calls, which is badā€¦. Iā€™d rather be there and blow it, then not be there frankly- at least it feels fixable

3. The issue is Iā€™ve now seen enough from Alim, Hutch, Sewell, Barnes, Saint, Kerby, Jacobs, Comish, Elliott, Board, Reynolds, J Will, Etc to believe Holmes can acquire talent via the draft and cheap fee agentsā€¦

• scary part is I hate everyone weā€™ve paid more than 5M for outside of Tracy and even that contract seemed high to many who wanted 6M apy if we kept himā€¦

• I canā€™t let Dan and AG blow next year so I need to see 3 thingsā€¦

A) keep the team All In til week 18ā€¦
B) win at least 3 more gamesā€¦ period
C) hold at least 3 teams under 21 pointsā€¦ period

You canā€™t win regularly in the NFL via shoot out. Glenn has allowed 27 points in 18 of his 28 games. That is truly pathetic. Period. Pathetic!!!

Bengals arenā€™t a great Dā€¦ they have allowed 27 points just 9 times in their last 28 games. They were 17th last year and 12th right nowā€¦ so average!!!

Win 3 of Dan is gone

Keep 3 teams to 21 or less or AG is gone even if we win all 6

We are still running the wrong scheme making us susceptible to RPO, scrambles, screens, TE drags, basically the easiest plays to call-

I can admit 5 weeks ago I didnā€™t think he would change or improve In this dept. but he has. I feel he has anyways but he still has a ways to go.

My concern is he may actually get this team playing playoff caliber football like Caldwell did but the boneheaded decisions will cost us too many games. That was JCā€™s downfall and it could be DCā€™s.

I think thatā€™s where itā€™s important to have a GM and President who can step in and guide him. It will take DC to be humble enough to accept any criticism. My hope is that Spielman and Dorsey can be the difference here because I donā€™t think Wood has that ability.

2 Likes

To be fair, I think thereā€™s some organizational level changes that need to occur, quickly. This team is shelling out close to 200 million a year in total payroll, but canā€™t afford to put turf down that the players want to play on? We heavily scrutinize the coaching staff and front office, but our injured players fall into the Bermuda Triangle that is the training staff? No one wants to play on a concrete slab with a rubber rug stretched over it. We need players on the field, not in the hot tub. Those things have to get fixed, they arenā€™t new issues, simply overlooked, which leaves little faith they will get addressed.

Has our ā€œstarting offensive lineā€ played together in a single game yet? Leading the league in IR payroll is a big red flag, but I digress.

Itā€™s improved in the fashion of playing Russian Roulette with a revolver instead of a clip fed semi-auto. I can still count on at least a couple ā€œwtf are you smoking?ā€ calls per game, as well as game mismanagement blunders.

Dan truly reminds me a lot of Wayne Fontes, the good, and the bad. Players loved playing for Wayne, they responded to him. He wasnā€™t the coach that was going to get them to the promised land though, and ultimately the players figured that out too.

Becoming mediocre shouldnā€™t be the goal, and unfortunately thatā€™s where I see Campbellā€™s ceiling as a Head Coach. Thatā€™s also the turd in the punch bowl too. How many people here would be happy spinning their wheels for the next five years as a one and done playoff team? And THAT is the hardest part of it.

Thereā€™s a lot that you can look to defend, or pick apart. You can make arguments for and against. How do you fire a guy who is doing all the positive things heā€™s doing? If he gets to the playoffs, isnā€™t he making the progress and deserves the opportunity to take it further? What if thatā€™s his ceiling? Ultimately, I look at Campbell and how he coaches, and I donā€™t see a guy capable of hoisting the Lombardi Trophy as a Head Coach. If thatā€™s not on the table, for those of us who canā€™t see it, whatā€™s the point? Wasting time?

To thine own self be true, and Iā€™m not going to lie, Iā€™d axe him after this season and have Caldwell and a slew of others on speed dial.

Not gonna get into the ā€œfire DC or not motifā€, way to many layers to unpeel there. I am curious as to way are you having Caldwell on speed dial? If your argument is that we need to fire DC cuz mediocre is all he is capable of why are you turning to a coach that we know mediocre is all they are capable of? Caldwell was the king of barely getting his team to the playoffs then quickly getting exposed and going 1 and done. Why repeat that if mediocre isnā€™t good enough? I agree I want Lombardi trophies (plural). I donā€™t know if DC can get there or not. I do know I have seen improvement in his coaching and less gaffes. I also know Caldwell is not the answer.

2 Likes

Caldwell and campbells mistakes, while similar in outcome are drastically different in root causeā€¦ caldwell had issues with the clock and in close important games because he called the game scaredā€¦ Campbell tends to be because he is too aggressive, now is this because he feels he has to be to overcome talent deficiencies or is it just his nature? I would ask that you look at his calls when he was the interim head coach in miami or in the nyg game, when he seems to get the sense that his team is on even footing with the opponent i dont see as many of the ultra aggressive calls. I know a lot of people complained about not calling the time out on the last drive, he did and time was put back on the clock after the review. They could have ran on 3rd and 1 instead of throwing a 9 route (which was open) but you were on practice squad level interior players and oliver had been in your backfield when in mattered all game.

I say all of this just to say that i would take the ultra aggressive loss because at least we have a punchers chance, when/if he does it or continues to do it when we match our opponents talent level i will pull out what little hair i have left with the rest of you.

1 Like

Simple, I thought we would be better as a team and coaching staff this season and we look like a better team this year. The team has progressed because of and in spite of the coaches. Ben has been spectacular for a ā€œno nameā€ OC. Aaron has been a HUGE disappointment as DC. The offense had a few bad weeks but had minor OL issues, Minor RB issues and serious WR issues. THEY ARE CLOSE. The defense just allows too many plays and too many points to be consistent winners. SO the question really is talent or coaching. Dan has earned another year for sure but we must close strong.

WE have an extra few days to get healthy for the final stretch. Okuda and hopefully Jacobs clear protocol. Harris should be coming back. Paschal hopefully is ready and Okwaraā€™s return is possible. We missed Cominsky this week too so he may be back. Ragnowā€™s foot gets a little extra rest, Jackson hopefully is ready to go at guard. Brown too. Reynolds is better than Raymond or Kennedy and should be back, then you add JAMO. Chark even looked a little better out there this week which wasnā€™t hard to do (low bar). Swift looks better but still tentative so the extra few days wonā€™t hurt him either.

6-0 or 5-1 are possible so 9 or 10 wins is better than the 6.5 Vegas put out there.
Jags are beatable
Vikings at home treat em like Dallas did
at Jets with QB issues
at Panthers with QB issues
Bears here with possible QB issues
Then Lambeau field. This game could matter and if it does the result will tell me who we are becoming.

That game in Lambeauā€¦ Williams should get 30 carries. Pound them with the run game and you know he would like to put it on his former team. #1 keep Rodgers off the field and #2 pound him with a rested defense if we control the ball offensively. Let him cry about his thumb being the reason they lost.

2 Likes

Worst straw man argument ever. No Lions fan in their right mind expects a Superbowl in the second year. Lets go lower. No Lions fan expects a Division title in two years, that bar would be way too high. No Lions fan expects a playoff win in two years, that would be asking too much. No Lions fan even expects a playoff appearance in two years, we have learned to temper our expectations. The bar is very low here. But you think itā€™s crazy to expect not double digit losses by two years? By the way, I voted to keep Campbell, but a lot depends on how they finish the season. If they lose next week to Jacksonville, that would be a huge disappointment. It would make the ā€œwe played Buffalo real close!ā€ mean nothing.
Let me ask you this: Which awesome previous coach did the Lions fire too early? Iā€™ll take Caldwell, but he doesnā€™t fit your strawman argument, so Iā€™ll wait for your answer.

No, I voted yes too. I am still amazed with Campbell being enamored with Anzalone, I can not with good faith vote to keep a coach who will play a favorite at all costs. The reporters are starting to pick up on it too, see below:

Stock down

Alex Anzalone, LB: The Alex Anzalone experience is a rollercoaster, and Thursdayā€™s rollercoaster ended on a low. He continues to have head scratching moments where he looks lost both in coverage and in his attempts to tackle scrambling quarterbacks. Itā€™s inexplicable, especially for a teamā€™s LB1.

Amen, brother!

While he does love him. He cut him last year. Brought him back because they felt they couldnā€™t upgrade.

Weighing love for one player against all heā€™s done right ā€¦landslide vote for keeping coach Dan

1 Like

I think we have a better GM this time around. Caldwell already got to the Super Bowl as well. He represents the type of transition that the Lions would need to make. He IS a player friendly coach, just with an even keel. He might not be the best available, but imo, would be a step forward. Worst thing the organization can do is change to a disciplinarian like they did with Ross and Fatty P.

I think plenty of people are comfortable with a double digit loss team, too comfortable. Belief in the process is one thing, using the process as a blindfold is quite another. Coaching failures from the sideline arenā€™t part of the process. The players, especially young players, have to have faith their efforts arenā€™t going to be undone by their coaches learning on the job.

This is something Iā€™m putting on field conditions and the training staff, and the problem isnā€™t new. The inertia of doing the wrong thing is hard to correct, even when staring you in the face.

1 Like

I very well could be wrong and I certainly donā€™t want to speak for anyone else but I took that post regarding no SB as grounds for firing DC as sarcasm tongue in cheek.

If you are talking about Anzalone, he wasnā€™t cut last year. Where did you get that info?

2 Likes

You havenā€™t seen the emails or pictures that he MUST HAVE! no other explanation.

Released, cutā€¦whatevs. Got it in here, actually. Some were celebrating itā€¦then he was brought back.

He was actually a FA and posted something on social media as a ā€œThank Youā€ to Detroit, which made us all think he was gone.

Then we resigned him 3 months later.

1 Like

Wasnā€™t cut. Contract was expiring and he re-signed shortly before the beginning of the league year.

2 Likes

Not me, I have the Lions over 7.5 wins at +200.

2 Likes