Post Free Agency and Draft...Summary of the State of this Team

Most of the off-season is now over. The Lions mostly kept their own free agents overall but outside Chark, no real free agent help was added. Safety DeShon Elliott may be the second most significant free agent signing of 2022. Not keeping our own but adding a guy from another team. Chark is the top signing and Elliott may be #2. An under-the-radar signing MIGHT be CB Mike Hughes as Mike might end up playing a significant role in the secondary. I really like the Hughes and Elliott signings. Both one year deals.

We lost Flowers and Nick Williams but neither of those guys played a significant role in 2021.

We kept Charles Harris, Josh Reynolds, Kalif Raymond (on a two year deal), Tracy Walker, Anzalone, Center Evan Brown (I really like keeping Evan) and most our coaching staff.

We had a defensive draft signing starters Hutchinson, WR Jameson Williams (I LOVE that addition). DE/DT Josh Pascal (likely a critical rotational player), safety Kerby Joseph (a role player who may work into a starting role later in the season or next year) and the a TE, LBers and a CB.

WR looks like we will be significantly better but that isn’t saying much! Jameson has the draft pedigree to be a #1 and Chark is likely a solid #2 leaving Amon Ra as a playmaker for us. I like that we can have that group together for year if we want to. That is a solid top three (when Jameson is healthy of course) and we have Josh Reynolds as viable depth. There is a lot to like there. Kalif Raymond is the likely #5 WR and we have Cephus and a bunch of young guys to choose from. I like that position group.

The OL looks great for 2022. RBs are the same overall. QBs are the same overall. It is easy to see how the offense will be better in year two with Ben Johnson in place and Amon Ra in year two as well as having Chark in the building too. The Lions scored the 25th most points and it is easy to see this group being closer to the midpoint of the league in 2022. That WR room was awful in 2021. I liked Tyrell Williams but he was never a factor here and Goff and Lynn never connected either. We are clearly in a better place on offense.

Defense continues to be the question mark. The Lions were awful on defense in 2021. 31st in points allowed. Bad. Really, really bad.

To change the issue the Lions added NO proven players at all on defense. That really is shocking. We added Hutchinson, Pascal (is he a DE or a DT here?) and MAYBE safety Kerby Joseph can help in 2022 but he is likely to be better than Will Harris but by how much as a starter IF he becomes a starter? Further…os Elliott a strong safety starter here with the Lions using a lot of 3 safety looks?

CB AO is likely to be extended and I would LOVE that as he is a legit player for us. And yep, Okudah will be back as will Romeo Okwara but what do we have in these guys?

LBer seems to be a “throw players at the position to see who sticks” kind of deal. Derrick Barnes needs to arrive for this club to have any hope at LBer in 2022. Jarrad Davis isn’t going to save us. BUT…I can see a competitive situation thing happening and there are a LOT of LBers in camp right now and maybe that will yield something better?

Honestly it is hard to see this defense being midpoint anytime soon. Just too many question marks. Okudah? Romeo Okwara…what will he be able to do in 2022? What can Hutchinson accomplish as a rookie? Will Barnes step up? Can Levi show up? How good is Alim? What role with Pascal play? How will we handle the safety position when Walker and Kerby Joseph really seem to be free safety guys?

While I don’t expect the defense to be good it will be fun to watch this develop as we at least have options now. This smells like a team searching for an offensive and a defensive identity. And if they find an identity on both sides of the football this team MAYBE can push for a Wild Card spot. It seems likely that this defense will continue to drag the team down. The Broncos, Eagles and Seahawks embarrassed this team on defense and it is hard to say right now this club would perform better against those teams with the players currently on the roster.

Thoughts on this roster at this point? Seems like this offense should be a lot of fun to watch. It also seems like this defense is more likely to remain bad versus being good. I hope I am wrong.

3 Likes

Love the optimism and you make some very good points. I think our D is going to be better than a lot of people think and I think we can battle each and every game we are in. Never easy being a Lions fan, but I am optimistic about this upcoming season.

We shall see.

2 Likes

Always love reading your takes! What would you say, if I suggested that the ILB group will be the most improved group this season? A few highly touted draft guys (Zuerlin and Brugler) think Rodriguez will start. That dudes got something. If Barnes also takes it up a notch, the rest of them are backups/situational players/depth. Now you have anzalone coming off the bench, not missing a beat, if one of them goes down. I also have loved Houston’s tape from Florida. He’s a real instinctive player with a knack for creating turnovers. Let’s hope Holmes has found a couple of late round gems aka Cory Littleton. Chase Lucas, new starting slot? This defense, I think will take some good strides this year.

On offense, I think Chark is the clear #1. Jamo will not be that this season. Chark has almost the same speed (4.3) and he’s taller. Jamo will be a wild card. When does he step in? When does he change the dynamics for defenses who oppose us? Week 1? Week 7? And how fast is Jamo? 4.3, only slightly faster than Chark. The exciting thing for the lions offense is actually having TWO 4.3 guys who will both demand a safety over the top, totally opening up the box. Add in that the offense will have more tempo, meaning getting set at the line earlier so Goff has more time to read and switch as needed.

I think we’re gonna love what happens this season! I can’t wait for it to get here!

1 Like

I love it Rick.

It would not be hard to be better because we were so damn bad at LBer in 2021. I had a lot of faith that Jamie Collins was going to hit in under Campbell but nope, Jamie sucked here. Jalen RM played hard but wasn’t a scheme fit here. Derrick Barnes wasn’t ready yet.

This group has volume at this point. Look at these off-ball LBer options:
Anzalone, Derrick Barnes, Rodriguez, James Houston, Chris Board and Jarrad Davis. Maybe 3-4 from that group make the final roster? James Houston May not play that position here.

It us clear this staff don’t value LBer like that,

I can see this as better as we have options that we didn’t have in 2021. But damn, it will be an up and down season for that group.

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.